Can a passable paint job come from a spray can?

Old 05-12-2012, 11:43 AM
afinepoint
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can a passable paint job come from a spray can?

The poor paint job previously done on the hood and front fenders is finally revealing itself. Blistering, cracking, fading, stains . . .

It's a work truck and I just want to order new parts and do a backyard spray job. Don't need showroom finish but don't want a something that stands out as poor from even a short distance.

Has technology produced a quality rattle can product or will I have to go pro spray gun, high output compressor . . . the works.

The body shops want what I feel are ridiculous prices for a simple paint job. $700+ just for the hood. I know preparation, preparation.

I thought of stripping the paint on the current parts but seems more could go wrong than right.

Thanks,

Reg

Old 05-12-2012, 06:52 PM
Action4478
Hotshot
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
You're right... you should stay away from those crooks at the body shop .. They only have all the equipment , materials , knowledge & experience to do the repairs . You should be able to easily duplicate their expertise with no experience what so ever....

You came here complaining about a "poor paint job" now you think a rattle can finish will be better , but it still has to live up to your standards ..

Ridiculous prices for a simple paint job . If it is that simple , I would suggest you go for it ..

Maybe if you get a cavity , the best move would be be to fix that yourself rather than going to an "expensive " dentist

Good luck ...

Old 05-12-2012, 07:07 PM
afinepoint
Laughing Gas
It a lot of words for you to say, "I don't know the answer". And it was a question not a statement of fact. Can you tell the difference 4478? Obviously not.

Sorry you had a bad day at work, your wife/girlfriend left (We can understand why) or your medications are off but take your rants elsewhere. Jeeze chill out.

BTW the last time I looked Dentist have college degrees specifically 3-4 years beyond a bachelors degrees. Let me help you with the math. That's 7 to 8 years of professional training. The guy swinging that spray gun I'm guessing not. Silly comparison on your behalf. Of course we would use a Dentist. They don't sell Dental supplies at hardware stores but they do sell painting supplies. Must be because it's something people can do for themselves.

Is there a rational knowledgeable person that would like to respond? Any adult will do. Or someone who can behave like one.

Getting back to the subject at hand from this hijacking somewhere I have read about a product that does a reasonable job just can't remember.

A friend spayed his car outside and the results were not that bad. Some fisheye, bit of dust but looked OK.

I looked at this HVLP Jaguar SLP Spray Gun some time ago but don't have the compressor to drive it. In any case it's going to be an outside job. No way I'm spraying in a garage.

Thanks,

P.S. And 4478 I taught myself to weld (passably), can repair electronic equipment, wire and plumb a house -to code, frame a house, rebuild an engine -yes it ran just fine, lay wood flooring, tile, laminate etc, race a motorcycle at 160 mph, and hold a Nuclear Regulatory Commission License to operate a nuclear reactor. I think I'll do just fine spraying a work truck. You are dismissed.

Old 05-12-2012, 07:45 PM
Action4478
Hotshot
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
You should be all set then ...

Old 05-12-2012, 11:33 PM
Sand_Man
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ask your local auto paint store if they have the ability to mix the color of paint of your truck into an aerosol can. My local store does and although I've never used it, I might try it if I were just looking to match paint on a work truck. Also, look at the Eastwood's website, they sell lots of stuff for painting catalyzed paints without a gun and compressor that would probably be ideal for your case. Will it work? You never know until you try, but it's got to be a hell of lot better than paying $700 to paint a hood! I do paint work on the side, and if I could paint hoods for $700 per, I'd quit my job tomorrow and get after it before those customers sobered up!

Old 05-12-2012, 11:37 PM
Sand_Man
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's the thing I was thinking of:

Spra-Tool Aerosol Spray Gun

Looks like it would do what you need and it's cheap enough to at least try.

Old 05-13-2012, 09:23 AM
afinepoint
Laughing Gas
For body shop guys and pro painters I intend no disrespect. I admire the great paint jobs I see on the cars done by the talented. I know I can in no way approach such work. It is not my intent.

My original question is to find out if it is possible to paint work equipment and have a passable job. Not a show-room shine. My truck stays dirty (as often real work trucks do). I didn't want to order a new hood and not paint it. That primer look isn't me.

As for 4478 Dude FYI I haven’t read and don’t intend to read any of your replies. People like you troll the forums and insist on sniping, misinterpreting and hijacking threads. You have no answers or arguments so rather than saying nothing you insist on offering nothing. Go away. You haven’t a clue. Also try using spell check. It will at least make you appear smarter. Sorry I hurt your feelings.

Again thumbs up to the pro painters. When it matters I have and do seek you out.

Thanks Sand Man. I appreciate the feedback.

Last edited by afinepoint; 05-13-2012 at 09:32 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 05-13-2012, 09:41 PM
Carlene
Admom
Received 188 Likes on 116 Posts
Thread closed. OP got his answer. Thanks to all that helped.