6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

HELP!!! Bedplate leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 11:18 AM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Why are you worried about having the motor removed or the cab pulled?

Old 04-10-2012, 12:30 PM
98woody
Tuned
Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by MisterCMK
Why are you worried about having the motor removed or the cab pulled?

Just seems like alot can go wrong doesnt it?

Old 04-10-2012, 12:33 PM
98woody
Tuned
Originally Posted by TexasA&M
My oil cooler and EGR cooler were both in good shape, so I didn't replace them. You don't have to pull the motor to do those two, so I figured I could change them later if needed. The STC fitting is between the high and low pressure oil systems... not sure when they redesigned it, but mine was the older, more trouble prone design, so they switched it out.

I have had zero problems with the truck since the repair.... no leaks or anything else. You can't tell that the engine was removed; my dealer did an excellent job on everything. I may take it to them when it is time for studs, but I don't know if I'll be able to afford them.
My truck is a 2007 , I thought I read somewhere that the 07s has the newer stc fitting and a newer stainless steel egr cooler.

Old 04-10-2012, 02:40 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by 98woody
Just seems like alot can go wrong doesnt it?
A lot can go wrong with anything. I would let them do their jobs and have it fixed. This what they do for a living...

Old 04-10-2012, 04:24 PM
basket1021
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just bought an 06 with the same issue. At the time I thought It was a rear main until I saw it comming from the back of the bedplate. I just changed the entire bedplate because It turned out to be cracked on the top(dont ask me how). I found 1 dealership in California (Im in Indiana) who did the job by removing the transmission. I did mine in my shop. It took me a weekend, but it CAN be done by removing the trans. I wouldnt recommend doing it any other way. The transmission, other than being heavy(when pulled with the transfer case) is fairly easy to remove. I would find a place that is willing to do it for you that way. My pockets arent deep enough to have the engine removed for something like that. Just my 2 cents...

Old 04-11-2012, 06:10 AM
98woody
Tuned
The correct way is to pull the engine and flip it. There is nothing to support the crank otherwise....

Old 04-11-2012, 09:10 AM
m-chan68
Lead Driver

Received 229 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by basket1021
I just bought an 06 with the same issue. At the time I thought It was a rear main until I saw it comming from the back of the bedplate. I just changed the entire bedplate because It turned out to be cracked on the top(dont ask me how). I found 1 dealership in California (Im in Indiana) who did the job by removing the transmission. I did mine in my shop. It took me a weekend, but it CAN be done by removing the trans. I wouldnt recommend doing it any other way. The transmission, other than being heavy(when pulled with the transfer case) is fairly easy to remove. I would find a place that is willing to do it for you that way. My pockets arent deep enough to have the engine removed for something like that. Just my 2 cents...
You must be mistaking the bedplate for the REAR ENGINE COVER by what you describe. It's quite possible your STC fitting blew out far enough to crack the rear engine cover to cause your leak. I have repaired my share of these types of failures too.

And I agree with the OP. The only PROPER way to repair a bedplate leak is to R & R the engine and flip upside down on an engine stand to do. Anyone that tries to tell you otherwise is full of it. This is the way I'd be doing it, if one were to show up on my doorstep. I have R & R'ed probably too many cabs on many Ford vehicles too numerous to list here, and NONE have come back with issues related to the pulling of the cab so far, so I'm having difficulty catching onto what the OP's concern is with having his cab pulled for repair.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:39 AM
98woody
Tuned
What scares me is 4 months ago, same leak, the dealership insisted it was oil pan gaskets so they replaced them. Then 1 month ago I still see the leak, this time they said its a crank sensor, warranty is up thats $200 to fix. I went back and spoke the service rep now they pulled the starter and said,.oops its a bedplate. We made a mistake so we will cover it.
Same dealership did my head gaskets at 17000 miles, they would not install arp head studs unless I agreed to void 100% remaining and current repair warranty once installed.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:40 AM
98woody
Tuned
If your a ford tech, whats your opinion on it. Its a seep, wet behind the starter and wet on the tranny bell housing. No drips, no oil leaks, no oil use. My first thought was to leave it alone. 2 stroker made some suggestions, like a coolant filter. That I am definetly installing asap.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:17 PM
run6.0run
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it was me, I would accept their voided warranty(with at least a week or two grace period to make sure the fix they are about to do holds), get the bedplate fixed and pay for new hg and get the studs in. might have to do some talking to get it done, but that is a no brainer to me. Basically, do you want an oil leak,,,, or not.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:32 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by 98woody
If your a ford tech, whats your opinion on it. Its a seep, wet behind the starter and wet on the tranny bell housing. No drips, no oil leaks, no oil use. My first thought was to leave it alone. 2 stroker made some suggestions, like a coolant filter. That I am definetly installing asap.
Have them fix the bedplate leak like they offered to do and leave it at that.

Originally Posted by run6.0run
If it was me, I would accept their voided warranty(with at least a week or two grace period to make sure the fix they are about to do holds), get the bedplate fixed and pay for new hg and get the studs in. might have to do some talking to get it done, but that is a no brainer to me. Basically, do you want an oil leak,,,, or not.
The dealership is going to charge him to pull the heads again and install studs since there is nothing wrong with it.

Does the OP have a tuner or anything in the truck?

I I were in his shoes I don't think I would bother with pulling the heads again and dealing with that. I would have the bedplate fixed and move on with life.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:37 PM
98woody
Tuned
Im hearing from people on here and diesel garage that almost all these trucks have this leak, nobody ever looks close enough to see it. Alot of comments are to leave it because of crank issues that arise down the road.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:41 PM
TexasA&M
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My dealer replaced several sensors before finally finding that the leak was the bedplate. It's been almost a year and a half though now and I've had nary a problem (nor any new leaks). Since I'm out of warranty now, I don't think I'd pay to have the leak fixed (the dealer showed me the ~$3k bill they sent to Ford), but I'm glad I had it done while I was still covered.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:55 PM
98woody
Tuned
My question is what do you do when big issues arise after the 1 yr 12k mile warranty for the repair is up....like crank problems? Stuff not assembled tight or correctly?

Old 04-11-2012, 03:57 PM
Ricson
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When your headgaskets were done at 19000 miles did they lift the cab.

I had a hanging oil drip on the bellhousing at 58000 miles that started as a seep about 40000 miles earlier. With only a couple weeks left on the warranty i took the truck in and got a diagnoses that the rear main seal is leaking. I gave the ok to replace the seal.

The next day i call asking when the truck will be ready to pick up and to my surprise i hear "the tech has your engine out and is replacing the bedplate gasket" There was a short pause on my end and then i replied I'M ON My WAY
On the way to the Dealer my wife calmed me down some but when i seen my cab 6' in the air, my engine next to the truck, wires, hoses hanging and fluids on the floor i was sick

After a talk with the tech i was OK with the work (just wished they would have gave me a heads up before starting)
While it was torn down i had the headgaskets and studs done just to hopefully avoid having the truck torn apart this far again.

Its been about 35000 miles with no leaks and your never know the cab had been removed.

Quick Reply: HELP!!! Bedplate leak