Georgia Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: ChiefM SPONSORED BY:

Another Georgia Newb

Old 04-07-2012, 11:51 PM
Codelizard
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another Georgia Newb

Hey guys,

When I say Georgia newb, I really mean it. Just moved my family up here last September. God tired of the South Florida life and basically the way things down there are headed, so I bought a house up here in Woodstock and moved us to a nicer place.

My daily driver is a 2002 Ford Excursion. I get alot of people give me grief for driving a gas guzzler and calling me an environment terrorist. To be honest, I'm just a single dad with full custody of 5 kids from 12-18. This truck is the only thing that fits us all comfortably!! And I love it.

Currently having a rough running problem that I havent gotten fixed yet. Tried replacing all plugs, and COPs(with boot) on the 2 cylinders that have given me issues. The truck continues to stumble when at idle, and when driving at normal speed. But give it some load, push it into overdrive, and it purrs like a kitten. I'm thinking maybe a clogged injector, but haven't found a mechanic that wont just go from the codes and listen to my car.

I also have a 1987 Nissan Pathfinder that I swear to god will run forever. It hasnt been my daily driver for over 10 years now. It sits in my driveway until i need it, and starts and runs each and every time, even after sitting for years at a time. This time the truck sat 3 years, and I had it towed from FL to here last September. Last weekend a 5 gallon can of gas, topped off the fluids, and started it right up. Purrs like a freakin kitten. Unbelievable.

Anyways, glad to be here.

Rich

Old 04-07-2012, 11:56 PM
Codelizard
Mountain Pass
Well shoot, left out my baby. 2001 Harley Davidson Road King Classic. Still haven't ridden it much, but if gas keeps going up in price, I'm covered for awhile. Would like to ride it more often, now that I'm up here in beautiful GA

Old 04-08-2012, 01:08 AM
ChiefM
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Rich,
Welcome and glad to have you here !!!!
What part of Florida? I spent most of my life in central Florida. God bless you with 5 kids.

Any Autozone or Advance will pull your codes for free. I bought this one for 50 bucks, caught it on sale and works outstanding. Buy Actron Pocket Scan Plus OBD II Code Reader CP9550 at Advance Auto Parts

Run some Sea Foam thru the fuel system, Might take 2 or 3 cans but that stuff is amazing...

If you have a screen type airflow sensor try cleaning that, (They make a special spray) made a world of difference on my Camaro.

Harley Davidson Road King Classic- my all time favorite !!!!

2 weeks ago my wife went to benefit for a fallen police officer at the Local American Legion. They found out I am in the Army and by the end of the day we were members and she informed me we need to get another bike !!! We had a bike once before, not a Harley. I have attached a picture of the bike I use to have. That was the day I picked it up, I was on mid tour leave from Iraq in February and my daughter insisted she ride !!!!

Old 04-08-2012, 10:18 AM
Codelizard
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by ChiefM
Rich,
Welcome and glad to have you here !!!!
What part of Florida? I spent most of my life in central Florida. God bless you with 5 kids.
South FL. I was born in Hollywood, just south of Fort Lauderdale, and spent most of my life down in the area. I watched it go from a relaxing laid back place full of nice people, to a place where you lock your doors at night and dont let your kids more than 2 blocks away at any time. My kids are getting old enough to start getting out on their own, and I decided I didnt want that to be in FL. So here we are.

Any Autozone or Advance will pull your codes for free. I bought this one for 50 bucks, caught it on sale and works outstanding. Buy Actron Pocket Scan Plus OBD II Code Reader CP9550 at Advance Auto Parts
I have a Scanguage II that I have hooked up all the time. The Scanguage is good because I seem to have a history losing Alternators, and I can now monitor stuff like RPM, water temp, and voltage constantly. Saved me when my last alternator started to crap out, and caught it before it died completely.

It reads most of the codes no problem, but there's one that comes up all the time that is just zeroes. I was told the Scanguage doesnt recognize the code. Will the Actron read more codes?

Run some Sea Foam thru the fuel system, Might take 2 or 3 cans but that stuff is amazing...
I've seen that mentioned once or twice. Pardon my ignorance here, but what exactly does Sea Foam do?

If you have a screen type airflow sensor try cleaning that, (They make a special spray) made a world of difference on my Camaro.
No clue on that one. I'll check it out.

Harley Davidson Road King Classic- my all time favorite !!!!

2 weeks ago my wife went to benefit for a fallen police officer at the Local American Legion. They found out I am in the Army and by the end of the day we were members and she informed me we need to get another bike !!! We had a bike once before, not a Harley. I have attached a picture of the bike I use to have. That was the day I picked it up, I was on mid tour leave from Iraq in February and my daughter insisted she ride !!!!
Yeah, I read your post about the American Legion, which is what reminded me (oh duh). Nice looking bike. Love my Harley, just need more time to ride it.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Old 04-08-2012, 11:41 AM
ChiefM
FTE Chapter Leader
If you moved from Florida to Atlanta it REALLY must be bad there. I lived in Pensacola, Sanford, Orlando and Eustis. My dad lives in Vero.

I have never seen a scan gauge so I have no idea, Autozone and Advance will pull the codes for free. The all zeros seems kinds odd, hope the computer is not acting up.

Seafoam is a fuel system cleaner, best I have ever seen. My boneheads left fuel in a lawnmower over the winter one year. It would barely run, would die if you tried to give it anything above idle, even with new fuel. We put some in the tank and let it idle for 20 minutes, It ran like new. Worked good in my BMW too.

The Camaro has a honeycomb sensor with a wire, got the stuff in the carb cleaner section.

I miss the bike but never road it like I should have. Should have bought a Harley in the first place. I sold the bike for more than blue book so not complaining..

Glad to have you here !!!!!

Last edited by ChiefM; 04-08-2012 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Can't type
Old 04-08-2012, 02:14 PM
82f100460
Posting Guru
Ok....this is odd.

First of all, welcome to Georgia and to the GA Chapter.

I as well used to live in Woodstock, where we first lived when we moved here. We had a 2001 Excursion, because of well yes, kids. Got ya beat by one...got 6.

Used to live in Central Florida...Winter Park just outside of Orlando.

And yes...we just last year visited Hollywood, Fl.

Not sure who's following who around here...but we sure have some things in common

Don't have a Harley or Pathfinder.

Oh yeah...and probably soon to be single Dad. Although most are all grown up and gone.

There's a few of us in the North / West Atlanta area. Grubworm (David) lives in Acworth and Live out in Dallas.

Had some of the same issue you are having on my Excursion after 100k+ miles. Fortunately I replaced one coil pack, fuel filter and off she went. Mine was a bit different though, opposite in fact. Would go flat under load...that was mostly fuel filter I think.

Loved that truck, wish I still had it. Had the V10 4x4

Old 04-08-2012, 02:32 PM
ChiefM
FTE Chapter Leader
Wow,
we sure do have alot in common. Sorry to hear about the single dad thing, been thru that once. The lord blesed me with my soulmate. I miss florida, well the low tag rate !!!! I love the gulf side beaches !!! Proposed to my wife on Mexico Beach, honeymooned at the beach. Going to this place when I come home on leave..Welcome to the Apalachicola River Inn at Oystertown: Lodging, Dining and More in Apalachicola, FL. We went once right after I came home from Afghanistan. Awesome place !!!!

Kevin- looks like we might have to get you interested in bikes...

Nice to have some old florida boys here !!!!

Old 04-08-2012, 02:36 PM
82f100460
Posting Guru
Wow,
we sure do have alot in common. Sorry to hear about the single dad thing, been thru that once. The lord blesed me with my soulmate. I miss florida, well the low tag rate !!!! I love the gulf side beaches !!! Proposed to my wife on Mexico Beach, honeymooned at the beach. Going to this place when I come home on leave..Welcome to the Apalachicola River Inn at Oystertown: Lodging, Dining and More in Apalachicola, FL. We went once right after I came home from Afghanistan. Awesome place !!!!

Kevin- looks like we might have to get you interested in bikes...

Nice to have some old florida boys here !!!!

Oh I love bike!!! just don't have one . Had one when I was around 20, oh that was just a couple years ago.

Now I did live in Florida but I'm not from there. I was there in the Navy in the late 80's. I grew up in New Mexico

Old 04-08-2012, 02:42 PM
ChiefM
FTE Chapter Leader
I was born in Texas but spent most of my younger years in Florida. I guess I have now lived in Georgia for over 23 years now. Dang where does the time go??

Old 04-09-2012, 01:56 PM
Codelizard
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by 82f100460
Ok....this is odd.

First of all, welcome to Georgia and to the GA Chapter.
Thank you.
I as well used to live in Woodstock, where we first lived when we moved here. We had a 2001 Excursion, because of well yes, kids. Got ya beat by one...got 6.
Well, when I was married, we had six, but one was hers from a previous marriage. I raised him from 7 months old as my own son. It hurt when she left, because she cut off all communication with him. So I was six, but now only 5.

Used to live in Central Florida...Winter Park just outside of Orlando.

And yes...we just last year visited Hollywood, Fl.
I was actually born in Hollywood and spent much of my young life there. When I was very young, I also lived in Maryland and Virginia, but kept ending up back in FL.

Winter Park? Isnt that where Cypress Gardens is? Or am I thinking of Winter Haven? We had annual passes to Disney and Cypress Gardens (I think its a Lego attraction now) while we lived in FL.

Not sure who's following who around here...but we sure have some things in common
Yup. I've encountered the whole "small world" syndrome quite a bit. Last week my youngest had a sleep-over at her best friend's house. I went to meet the parents, and they said they heard we just moved up from FL. I said yeah, we lived in Ft. Lauderdale. (which is more well-known than Hollywood or where we actually lived last, Davie). Anyways, I said actually we lived in a town called Davie, which is part of the Ft. Lauderdale area. She told me that was a coincidence, before they moved to Woodstock 12 years ago, they lived in Davie too, in a neighborhood called Shenandoah. Well, 6 months ago I was living in Shenandoah. Same neighborhood, same area. We had some of the same neighbors. So yeah, Small World.

Don't have a Harley or Pathfinder.
Nobody's perfect (sorry, couldnt resist)

Oh yeah...and probably soon to be single Dad. Although most are all grown up and gone.
Sorry to hear that. I've some single friends who are all happy when they hear of a divorce, but I still think it is a shame.

There's a few of us in the North / West Atlanta area. Grubworm (David) lives in Acworth and Live out in Dallas.
Acworth is just a cruise down the road from me, I live right on Bells Ferry. And Dallas isnt much further. Nice to know I'm not out alone in the boonies.

Had some of the same issue you are having on my Excursion after 100k+ miles. Fortunately I replaced one coil pack, fuel filter and off she went. Mine was a bit different though, opposite in fact. Would go flat under load...that was mostly fuel filter I think.
Ive done 2 COPs, all the plugs, new filters, all new fluids, complete differential tune-up, fuel system flushed. Nothing so far has helped. Bought a couple cans of Seafoam, but havent added it in yet. Maybe tonight when I am done working.

Loved that truck, wish I still had it. Had the V10 4x4
I've got the v8 2wd. Wish I had one of the diesels, so I could tune the crap out of the gas mileage, but it is what it is.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:16 PM
ChiefM
FTE Chapter Leader
I was trying to get job in Atlanta for the Guard. When we were looking at homes I liked the Dallas area. Did not get the job and thinking of just staying where we are, well for now.

I graduated high school in Eustis, I loved the central Florida Area.

Old 04-21-2012, 11:48 AM
Codelizard
Mountain Pass
So I finally broke down and took the truck to Ford. Lo and behold, they found the issue with my truck within 20 minutes. Seems that the problem ORIGINALLY was a bad plug. When I had them all replaced, the people who did it dropped on and cracked the porcelain/ceramic top. The top electrode was completely disconnected.

So I drove in with a bad plug, and drove out with a bad plug. And this is why I drove around for MONTHS thinking it was something else.

Anyways, new plug, replaced the 6 remaining original boots, and cleaned out the throttle body. $465 out the door.

Truck now drives like a DREAM.

Old 04-21-2012, 01:56 PM
ChiefM
FTE Chapter Leader
Glad to hear you got it running like a dream, WOW $465 now I remember why I hate taking stuff to the dealer. Anything at the BMW place is just public rape.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:43 AM
Grubbworm
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Codelizard
Seems that the problem ORIGINALLY was a bad plug. When I had them all replaced, the people who did it dropped on and cracked the porcelain/ceramic top. The top electrode was completely disconnected.So I drove in with a bad plug, and drove out with a bad plug. And this is why I drove around for MONTHS thinking it was something else.
Truck now drives like a DREAM.

First off, welcome to the forum. I'm Dave (Grubbworm) and I live in Acworth, right by Holiday Marina.
Second, that's why I try and do all of my own maintenence and repairs. I just don't know and can't trust the quality of workmanship of someone that I don't know that well. I have worked in the field before and have seen it all first hand, some care and some don't.

Old 04-23-2012, 12:50 PM
ChiefM
FTE Chapter Leader
Ok code, you have to post a pic of the truck..

Attached Images  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Another Georgia Newb