Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Might as well start the Sidewinder install

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 07:37 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
sure.i'll grab a pic of the up pipe for ya tomorrow in the day light.
it's a miserable job.she's tight,and doesn't want to go on the manifold studs very well when set in the proper place.prepare to spend some time just on this.once you get it close,work on putting both your brackets on.
as you tighten the mani nuts,you'll see both support brackets line up.once they do,go ahead and nut/bolt 'em lightly and go back to snugging up the mani nuts some more.inspect the brackets/tighten a bit,then back to the mani nuts etc.
nothing can be done at all until the foot is up on the engine block.not down in back of the trans bell housing like we first had it.

when you go to put the turbo on,i split the housings via the center band clamp so i could reach both upper and lower nuts with ease.just the upper pass side requires a wrench.it's not that bad though.-that's a real good time to install your oil drain tube into the grommet in the valley pan too,when those are split!

i'm almost there with mine now.
this is what i know of that's still to do now;
gauges: egt/boost.
oil feed line.-i was working on this,but getting dark.was having a hard time getting enough tape on the threads so the bottom/engine block elbow would snug up enough while still pointed upward.
cross over pipe - got it wrapped but needed to grab a couple new studs/nuts for the pass side.so the running for those slowed me down.
down pipe.- at least this looks possible now!
hook exhaust back up to new DP.
oh yeah,i need a couple little hose clamps for my blue waste gate tube there.
and then turn the fuel up a bit.
so she's real close now.just a few more hours away hopefully.taking tomorrow off to finish her up.

thankfully my father is lending me a hand! it sure is nice to have two people doing this.

Attached Images  
Old 04-16-2012, 07:56 PM
'94IDITurbo7.3
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HOLY CRAP

is that really a banks turbo on F250's truck?

It is about time man.
btw, don't even think about calculating mpg for a while once you get it running. LOL

Old 04-16-2012, 08:26 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
yeah about time uh.
well the truck is just about done,and it's warm enough out now.then Eaton here kick started me.i figured since my parts came,id hop in so we can share tips and tricks on how to do this thing at the same time.
it's actually quite simple to figure out how to do it.minus banks instructions about how to install the up pipe.it's just the thing is very tight.it's like working on ididieseljohn's van or something lol.
yeah 1 tank of fuel horsing around i suppose wont kill me.then it's back to granny driving lol.
i sure do hope this sucker will give me another mpg.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:36 PM
therifleman556
Posting Guru
Ya know, it wont actually make boost unless its under load. That means pushing the skinny down

Old 04-16-2012, 10:47 PM
eatont9999
Posting Guru
I got the up-pipe cast up past the bell housing this afternoon. I replaced the return line from the rear return block to the plastic return hose while I routed the CC and throttle cables under it. I need to get some heat shielding stuff because the stuff I got from the donor truck is pretty beat up.

I placed the turbo on the flange and it hits the firewall where the oil inlet is. I think after some tightening and adjusting, it should clear. I can rotate the CHRA and the compressor housing if I need to. The CHRA should be as close to straight up as possible so that the oil flows down on the bearings, not to one side.

Now if I can get my neighbors to not start conversations while I am working on the truck...

Old 04-16-2012, 11:16 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
it's much smoother sailing after that up pipe is dealt with.you can actually enjoy the install after that.but there could be some choice words fitting the dp in still.
sounds like your getting it.once you snug up the bottom nuts and upper brackets,the turbo should clear the firewall with ease.well i say this,but that might be cus i beat my firewall in nicely right there.it's still kinda close even still,so i dunno how common it is to require some hammer loving there lol.
of course i dunno how much, if any differences there are in the 8th gen to 9th gen cabs as far as this goes.pretty much the same basic cab probably.

i dunno how some guys claiming just a few hours for a banks kit install.they must be very good with a wrench and not have to run for parts.
this sucker eats time!

Old 04-17-2012, 09:54 AM
eatont9999
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT
it's much smoother sailing after that up pipe is dealt with.you can actually enjoy the install after that.but there could be some choice words fitting the dp in still.
sounds like your getting it.once you snug up the bottom nuts and upper brackets,the turbo should clear the firewall with ease.well i say this,but that might be cus i beat my firewall in nicely right there.it's still kinda close even still,so i dunno how common it is to require some hammer loving there lol.
of course i dunno how much, if any differences there are in the 8th gen to 9th gen cabs as far as this goes.pretty much the same basic cab probably.

i dunno how some guys claiming just a few hours for a banks kit install.they must be very good with a wrench and not have to run for parts.
this sucker eats time!
I really hope I don't have to beat my firewall in. I really don't have anything to do it with besides a small rubber hammer and then how do I even get a good swinging angle.

If I had to do this again, I imagine I could have it done in a weekend knowing what I know now. Maybe less time if I had more advanced tools and a helper to fetch stuff. More beer may speed things up, too.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:56 AM
eatont9999
Posting Guru
Can I get the same Banks filter from O'Reilly's in a K&N? I should probably just replace mine as it is pretty nasty and filled with fine dust.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:14 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
i got mine running at noon.she sure does have a big whistle!
i think im going to go with new gauges.
took her out for a drive.no power increase yet but it sounds cool.
turning up my fuel screw now.

prepare to beat the snot out of your firewall Eaton.i used a long pry bar while my father smacked the end of it with a heavy maul.
it took lots of beating plus a 3lb hammer from below but she cleared with 1/8" all around it.no easy task.
sure would be good if you have a father/family member/friend etc to call up and give ya a hand.it's a 2 man job,but one could do it alright,though i wouldn't try.it was hard enough with 2 of us.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:30 PM
eatont9999
Posting Guru
i got mine running at noon.she sure does have a big whistle!
i think im going to go with new gauges.
took her out for a drive.no power increase yet but it sounds cool.
turning up my fuel screw now.

prepare to beat the snot out of your firewall Eaton.i used a long pry bar while my father smacked the end of it with a heavy maul.
it took lots of beating plus a 3lb hammer from below but she cleared with 1/8" all around it.no easy task.
sure would be good if you have a father/family member/friend etc to call up and give ya a hand.it's a 2 man job,but one could do it alright,though i wouldn't try.it was hard enough with 2 of us.
So, when are you coming down here to help me?

Pictures yet?

Maybe I just need to break down and buy a damn porta-power.

Old 04-17-2012, 04:34 PM
'94IDITurbo7.3
Postmaster
she sure does have a big whistle!
is it hot side or cold side? i hope to have some sick whistle after i get mine back for Russ.

what gauges you gonna go with?

Old 04-17-2012, 04:40 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by '94IDITurbo7.3
is it hot side or cold side? i hope to have some sick whistle after i get mine back for Russ.

what gauges you gonna go with?
i don't know the answer to either question yet lol.im a turbo noob.
i know the whistle clearly over powers an open DP going down the road lol.
Eaton i wish you were closer,id give ya a hand.especially while it's all fresh to me.we'd have her all together by midnight.

Old 04-17-2012, 04:46 PM
swooshcmk
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
haha, once you get the exhaust hooked up it'll quiet it down.

I had my DP fall out of my ATS turbo when I was towing the 35' gooseneck. (The bracket holding the DP up cracked and the DP slid down) Holy hell I darn near shat myself! Spend the next 30 minutes with it sounding like I was driving through a tornado!

Old 04-17-2012, 05:28 PM
eatont9999
Posting Guru
Do you think a porta-power would be easier than a BFH to push the firewall back? I'm not too excited about the idea of smashing my fingers or breaking plastic dash mounts from the shock force.

Old 04-17-2012, 05:51 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
yeah that would have been a nice tool to have.it may not be so bad if your not wrapping your pipes.i had two layers of that wrap on each pipe so things were extra snug.so i may be needlessly scaring you lol.
however...... if you haven't considered wrapping the pipes,now sure is the time,or you'll never get to 'em again.iv got 'em all wrapped.up/down/cross over,and she's whistling dixie right off idle.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post10009501

Quick Reply: Might as well start the Sidewinder install