Oklahoma Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Official "Things To See and Do In Oklahoma" Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 08:51 PM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Official "Things To See and Do In Oklahoma" Thread

My family and i have been here since '98. We still haven't seen and done all there is to see in this vast state.

So I figured we should have a thread that shares your personal recommendations on things to do, places to see, etc...in Oklahoma. Go ahead and tell others what great things they should see and do, that you and yours have seen and done here.

Recently my family and i visited the roller skating rink to Claremore. It was a blast for us all. My boys, 10 and 6, are just learning to skate but had so much fun. AJ, our little guy even joined the races. He's so ambitious. And Blake our oldest joined in on the group limbo contest. That was good, inexpensive wholesome fun. My wife and I hadn't been on roller scates in over 20 years.

Also, something to see/do in Claremore is the lake. They have made many many vast improvements on the picnic tables, trails, and lots of fishing shoreline. That is a great place to have a family picnic on a nice warm sunny day.

Old 04-07-2012, 09:28 AM
MikeB 88
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For a lazy day drive, Steve (youngest son) and I rode Route 66. You can still drive part of the original road between Afton and Miami. A few pictures:

The gas station is an old DX station that has been turned into a museum. We went all the way to Miami, and had lunch at famous/historic Ku Ku Burger. Nice burger joint, with several cases of model cars to look at. They also have a couple 67/68 Fords parked out front.

Don't forget to let the kids climb on the Blue Whale. Just can't go swimming.

Old 04-21-2012, 09:25 AM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
very cool pix Mike. I like how you've got your car in front of all those places. Was that pecan shells covering the road?

My wife and I got to chaperone my sons kindergarten class to Woolaroc on Thursday. That place is way out in the middle of nowhere. And it is sooo very scenic and pretty. As soon as you drive into the park there's deer running all around. The only buffalo i saw that day were in the pens. I'm not sure if they have herds of them roaming around or not? The musuem is HUGE. We had four busloads of kids from Bailey Elementary there and a couple hours is not enough time to see everything in the museum. They have a petting zoo, little playground, and so much more stuff to see there. We're gonna have to make a family trip up there before the summer heat arrives. This time of year, with a light breeze and cooler temps and everything is lush and green is the perfect time to visit.

here's a link to a discount admission if yer interested:

Deals and Coupons | TravelOK.com - Oklahoma's Official Travel & Tourism Site

*********Oh ya, if you've never been there, dont trust the Google maps. That got us lost and had us drive up thru Bartlesville, then down south in big circle to get to Woolaroc.

Old 04-21-2012, 01:07 PM
MikeB 88
Fleet Mechanic
Ron,
Those are just big stones/rocks in the road. Some parts of the road is nothing but stone.

Woolaroc is a neat place to visit. It's probably been close to 20 years since We've been there. If memory serves me right, they have an interesting shrunken head display.

Old 04-21-2012, 06:07 PM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
lol. that is one of the things that made my jaw drop. i had never seen shrunken heads in person. i took some pics of it. pretty weird stuff. They also have the only personally owned dino egg fossils. pretty cool stuff. and the elephant head on the wall is HUGE. I've never been that close to an elephant so i never really appreciated how big they are.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:41 AM
MikeB 88
Fleet Mechanic
There's a show on the RSU channel *** cable channel 109 called Green Country People and Places. Interesting show for those who want to get out and explore Green Country.

The last show I watched went to the Jenks Aquarium, Chandler Park, and the Dick Tracy Museum.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:09 PM
NoMo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Depending on the age of your kids, they might enjoy the Bartlesville Kiddie Park:
Kiddie Park - Home

Then there is the BlueBell ice cream plant tour (might need a group to schedule):
Tour Information - Broken Arrow

Old 05-09-2012, 10:50 PM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
Hiya Neal!! Havent heard from you in forever.

Good idea with the Blue Bell tour. My family and i are planning our summer trips and that is one that we all will enjoy.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:43 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
For those that have boats or enjoy camping Skiatook Lake is a gem. It is currently down ~5' from normal, but that's far better than earlier in the year, and maybe this weekend will help it out a bit more.

And, if you are going to be out that way let me know and stop by the shop.

Old 05-13-2012, 11:13 PM
NoMo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Ron (and everyone else)!

I've not posted much the past few years because I was driving a GMC. In fact, for a while, we didn't have a Ford vehicle at all. Wife got a 2010 Edge and now I'm back in an F150 so I'm here more often.

I'll ask my wife about more family-friendly destinations as she's been looking for things to do with the kids this summer.

Don't forget about this:
Tulsa Air and Space Museum & Planetarium

Old 07-16-2012, 10:43 AM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
We finally made a trip to the Blue Bell ice cream plant in Broken Arrow. That was a nice cool trip on a hot and sunny 99 degree day. They put out a lot of ice cream at that place each day. Kinda mind boggling. All those people workin the floor were moving so fast to keep up with the automated machinery. Whew, no time to goof off in that place. And the ice cream and sherbert at the end of the tour was yummy.

Old 10-20-2012, 11:51 AM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
My family and i visited the Tulsa Zoo for the first time in years. The weather was great; sunny, low 60s, light breeze. Everybody was there. They've been spending some good money updating some of the Zoo. The sealion and penguin exhibit looks great. They have it set up for animal trick shows. and there is a tunnel to go below and watch the sealions swim. pretty cool. Most of the big animals were enjoying the cooler weather and actually moving around and interacting, instead of just laying in a shady corner. Well, except for the lions. They looked so bored. I think they need more room to roam. The giraffe exhibit was updated too, with a nice tall platform with wheelchair/stroller accessibilty. We didnt have to pay for car entrance so that saved us $2. Zoo entry was $8 per adult and $4 per kid. $24 got my family of four in. It was a fun relaxing time. Also, the rainforest exhibit was really cool too. Lots of animals running around loose that are sometimes hard to spot unless you stop and look all around you, including above your head.

Old 10-20-2012, 05:01 PM
MikeB 88
Fleet Mechanic
Sounds like a good family outing!!!! I can't remember the last time we were there.

My wife and I delivered some unused electronics to Natural Evolution this morning. (Free recycle during October), then drove down to BA. Turned out it was the First annual Grills and Grills car show. Quite a few '36 Cords were there. Quite a few very nice cars showed up. The said they had 200 cars registered.

Old 10-27-2012, 09:19 PM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
Thumbs up

My boys and i enjoyed a great cool fall day at the Owasso Chilli Festival today!!! I highly recommend this to any chili/bbq/salsa lovers! They had tons of fun family oriented things to see and do. There was soo many contestants to sample from that i was just too full of chilli and bbq to sample probably 8 to 10 more contest entries. Whew. That was a lot of good chilli and bbq!!!!!!!!. And just a couple not so good entries. They had a huge dog pet costome contest and lots of free activities for the little kids to do and win lots of candy and cool trinkets. We spent close to three hours there and we all had a great time.

Check it out next year if ya missed it this year.

Owasso Chili Festival

Old 11-21-2012, 01:45 PM
Alleneoc
Junior User
We like wheelin' on the south Canadian River.