Sponsored by: Moser

Airbag warning light on in instrument cluster

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 07:02 PM
96Indyram
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airbag warning light on in instrument cluster

I have a 2011 F150 supercrew 4x4 5.0, it has almost 8k miles.
I have looked around online to see if this is a common issue but haven't found anything really.
The airbag warning light in the instrument cluster will come on and stay on randomly. Somedays it only lights up when I start the truck, other days it will turn on and stay on until I restart the truck. I think I have a glitch or a malfunction in a switch somewhere with the Airbag system.

Anybody else here having or had this issue?

I will be calling the dealership about it after we finish the Easter Weekend.

Old 04-07-2012, 08:27 PM
ecoboostin4x4
New User
dad has 2011 eco boost supercrew 4x4 and his airbag light is doing the same thing so yea x2 that question

Old 05-15-2012, 09:59 PM
96Indyram
Freshman User
Took some time.... but I finally got the truck into the service shop.
They had to keep it overnight, and gave me a rental. ( a new Ford Focus.... My God I feel like I am in a death trap...this thing is small and slow! ) The said it is a bad " Body control module"
that there is a service bulletin on it.
Parts had to get ordered from Kentucky, I might get it back tomorrow.

Old 05-16-2012, 05:52 AM
awq134
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i had a similar issue, only it was telling me that the passenger airbag was turned off when it should have been on. But i knew why that was happening... turns out when you leave your windows down in a torrential down pour water gets into the sensor and makes it act up!

Old 05-16-2012, 08:11 PM
96Indyram
Freshman User
Service dept. called me and said my truck was done, but I need to bring the other key so they could reprogram it. When they replaced the PCM and the body control module they had to reprogram the keys to the truck.

I get up there and the truck is NOT done..... he is still working on it, they said to give them a hour. A hour and 1/2 later I am still watching this guy working on my truck.
While I was there I bought a locking gas plug/cap. Just for the reason is I drive alot of dirt roads and in the fields and I dont like all the dirt that cakes up in around the fuel filler possibly getting into the tank.
So I went out into the service dept and put it on the truck because I was getting tired of carrying it around.
While I was there I was talking to the Mechanic, and he said it wasn't the PCM or the BCM.... and he was changing out the airbag control module.
I said " ok...I am going back to watch t.v. in the waiting room". Just as I got to the back of the truck behind the tailgate....all of a sudden............. BOOM!!!!!!
I looked around because I thought a truck backfired or a battery exploded.........nope......... I noticed my lights flashing and horn honking, and I looked into the back window to see my airbags deployed inside my truck, and the mechanic looking like he steped on a landmine.
I guess the new airbag module he put in ( between the seats under the console that moniters side impact or roll overs) was faulty and it blew the side curtain airbags as soon as he plugged it in.
I asked him if he was ok as he came out from inside the truck....he was a little shocked but ok.
I just started lauging as all the managers etc....come out to see what exploded.
SO..........now I am still waiting for my truck....now for new airbags and a new headliner and what ever else that got blown up to get replaced.
I told them NO Ford Focus this time! They gave me a 2012 Escape to drive until I get my F150 back.
I still am LMAO over the whole ordeal...and the look on the Mechanics face after they blew......Priceless!

Old 10-10-2012, 09:34 PM
96Indyram
Freshman User
WOW, I have been away for awhile...guess I should post a update.

I did finally get the truck back from the service shop after a week of them working on it.
The next day I found out they did not hook up the passenger door limit bar/catch thing. So I hooked bolted it back to the door, but the sad thing is the rubber gromet on it was ripped off. I looked at the drivers door and the same thing. It was bolted back up to the door...about 4 threads of the bolt holding it on, and the rubber gromet was ripped.
I tightend the bolts down and inspected other things...found The lower passenger side kick panel was loose also...so I fix that too.

I will never take my truck back to that dealership ( the same one I bought the truck at) to get worked on ever again!

They got a ear full when they called me on a follow up call/survey on how my service experence was.

Anyway....here it is 5 months later and have had Zero issues with the truck!

Old 11-15-2017, 09:37 PM
dathomashd
New User
Any cheap fix?

Originally Posted by awq134
i had a similar issue, only it was telling me that the passenger airbag was turned off when it should have been on. But i knew why that was happening... turns out when you leave your windows down in a torrential down pour water gets into the sensor and makes it act up!
Same thing happened to mine. Idiot brother-in-law left the passenger window down overnight during a downpour. Really don't want to pay the dealership. How did you fix yours?

Old 11-08-2018, 04:15 PM
wvabeer
More Turbo
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by dathomashd
Same thing happened to mine. Idiot brother-in-law left the passenger window down overnight during a downpour. Really don't want to pay the dealership. How did you fix yours?
Where is this sensor? Thanks