Aerostar Ford Aerostar

FOUND: 1993 Aerostar XL from Cali 24k miles

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 02:10 PM
MotorCityBolt
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here are pictures of the damage. See how bad the sill got pushed in.

Old 07-15-2013, 03:37 PM
xlt4wd90
Lead Driver

Received 86 Likes on 75 Posts
The "bumpers" on Aerostars are kind of a suggestion, and really can't take a lot of stress. Maybe it was part of the overall trend to weaker bumpers when they went to 2.5 mph ratings from the previous 5 mph. We can thank Ford and the other US auto makers for lobbying Congress to pass the regulatory relief act. Now it comes to bite us in the ***, literally.

Old 03-18-2015, 04:12 PM
MotorCityBolt
Senior User
*** UPDATE ***

This van was destined for an untimely end...

As if the first wreck was not enough...

Final nail in this Aerostar's coffin where a guy supposedly driving a black 2014 Dodge Ram 1500 quad cab felt texting was wayyyy more important than DRIVING!!! took out three vehicles besides his own ....peeled his entire right front wheel assembly off...good for him...

You can see an exact same white model in the first picture driving by in the far lane from my van.

I had just bought those nice American Racing wheels and Michelin Defenders for $1300, thank you very much Dodge Boyeee!!!

I had the van setup for RV motorhome flat towing. Also had a $5k handicap seat installed for my mother when we would travel to Florida.

Lost the Helwig swaybar and new tow hitch system, as wel.

A lot of $$$ lost in this one.

Anyone need a rust free 93 with a cherry 52k mile engine and tranny, along with many nice parts? I'm in southeast Michigan...

Old 03-18-2015, 05:26 PM
Jose A.
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
man I'm sorry about the vehicle but I'm glad you came out alive.

save those wheels and every part you can pull from it, you can sell them or reuse them.

if you need help finding another, I know of 3 right now, Southern vehicles.

Here's what you need in Florida:

Old 03-18-2015, 07:25 PM
iszatso
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amazing. Terrible outcome for a Cherry Aerostar. Painful to view the pictures. Even more painful to witness your original joy in obtaining the vehicle and the ultimate outcome and subsequent loss that ensued over a period of time.

Darn. Makes me want to leave my low mileage Aerostar in the driveway.

BRGDS,

p.

Old 03-18-2015, 10:19 PM
MotorCityBolt
Senior User
Originally Posted by Jose A.
man I'm sorry about the vehicle but I'm glad you came out alive.

save those wheels and every part you can pull from it, you can sell them or reuse them.

if you need help finding another, I know of 3 right now, Southern vehicles.

Here's what you need in Florida:
Wow, that is trick!!

However, I already have my dance partner and she's quite a prize. You can even see Chaerrostar in the picture before her end...:

Old 03-19-2015, 09:19 AM
Jose A.
Fleet Mechanic
man I bet that freightliner needs constant coal in the burners!

Old 03-20-2015, 10:31 AM
MotorCityBolt
Senior User
Originally Posted by Jose A.
man I bet that freightliner needs constant coal in the burners!
Actually, she gets about 11-12 mpg. Hell, that's only 2mpg less than my 2002 F-250 with the V10. It has the 24v 5.9l Cummins, which is the smallest engine used in diesel pushers. The engine is NO slouch. She gets going down the road just fine. Now, mountain areas, not as good as the 400, 450, 500 and 600 hp units.

The fuel bill is always split up with whomever is traveling with me. So, it's not bad at all. I never want to be without a coach again. They are just too much fun and I also park my coach in my sister's long driveway near the shed to get shore power and just use it as a weekend apartment when I visit. And I visit a LOT, as my mom also lives there. Works out great.

Old 03-20-2015, 05:55 PM
xlt4wd90
Lead Driver

Received 86 Likes on 75 Posts
Wow, sorry to see your van come to such a violent end, especially after all your additions to it. I remember reading about your previous collision that the rear-ender had to pay for. Were you so lucky this time?

Old 03-22-2015, 09:46 PM
MotorCityBolt
Senior User
Originally Posted by xlt4wd90
Wow, sorry to see your van come to such a violent end, especially after all your additions to it. I remember reading about your previous collision that the rear-ender had to pay for. Were you so lucky this time?
Not this time. It happened only a couple miles from my home. Michigan is no-fault and the only thing I got from the dork's insurance company was what is called mini-tort. That amounted to $1000. It used to be only $500, but has recently been changed. Lucky me..lucky me...lucky me.

The van is in my driveway and I'm just trying to figure out what to do with it....

Old 03-23-2015, 05:27 AM
Jose A.
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by MotorCityBolt
The van is in my driveway and I'm just trying to figure out what to do with it....
parts parts parts.

I know people looking for parts. if you want, I will refer them to you.

Old 03-24-2015, 08:16 PM
Adam_Tinkerer
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, wish I could find a parts rig like that around here in NC!

Old 03-26-2015, 01:55 PM
MotorCityBolt
Senior User
Call me crazy, but I've been toying with the idea of actually repairing the van to some useable extent. I'm not talking about a full on repair. Maybe something close with minimal cost.

I called my local collision shop after emailing them a few pictures. The guy said they could pull the crunch out for about $600 and then determine what can be done from there. He did not reject a repair out of hand.

It's obvious that the main rear pillar structure is GONE. It does look as if most of the long panel folding can be fairly returned to some condition where the driver door can be fully shut. That B pillar did push up enough to where the door will not do the final click to shut. If all that gets pulled out, I think that a donor van rear corner structure could be cut off and grafted onto my van.

I would probably need from the rear of the gas filler cap down to where the lower rocker meets the main side panel and up to the roof drain channel seam and the main rear pillar and wheel well.

Rear hatch is an easy replacement. Put all that together to get everything closed back up and I may be able to get a driver.

Thoughts...

Old 03-26-2015, 02:28 PM
Jose A.
Fleet Mechanic
for the amount of time, effort, and money you will spend to get it "almost right", you can buy another one for less and get instant gratification.

Old 03-28-2015, 10:17 AM
93nighthawk
Posting Guru
Ouch, sorry for your loss, but at least you are OK.

Good luck on what you decide, to repair or replace, may you have a safe journey.

Quick Reply: FOUND: 1993 Aerostar XL from Cali 24k miles