Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Ranger & B-Series
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series modelsSPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-06-2012, 04:11 PM
New User

conorreich is starting off with a positive reputation.
Fuel gauge not working after new pump installed.

I own a 1990 Ranger 2.9l and about 4 months ago the fuel pump went bad. I had one installed at a local mechanic shop. When I got it back from them the fuel gauge had stopped working. I would've brought it back but I was ripped off (charged 700$) for a fuel pump install, so I have no interest going back there. I have replaced minor components (water pump, serpentine belt) and have electrical experience. Any ideas?

On a side note this is my first standard as well as my first ranger and so far (besides the problems any 22 year old truck would have) I love the little monster!
Old 04-06-2012, 06:55 PM
Posting Guru

Phinxter is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Phinxter is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Wow that sound a little high. What kind of pump did you have installed? I haven't replaced a pump on a ranger but I know it is attached to the pump assy. The shop should be eating it. You could give them a call and see what they say about it.

1992 Ford Ranger Danger 3.0 5spd 4X2
1993 Plymouth Sundance (Member of the Allpar 200k club)
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited V8
2013 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
Old 04-06-2012, 07:44 PM
New User

It was a bosch I believe. It was the only pump the shop would install. I completely agree but I've already raged on that shop once. I'd rather get it done myself.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:56 PM
Posting Guru

michigan66 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Either they forgot to connect the wire that feeds info to the gauge or the wire was broken (by them) when the pump was replaced. Do you know if they removed the bed to replace the pump? If so, it should be a fairly easy job for you to remove the bed and check the wiring.

Previous vehicle: 1991 XLT, 2.3 SOHC (Lima), M5OD, 7.5 axle 3.45 gears. Donated to a charity.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:45 AM
New User

As far as I know they did remove the bed. I guess I should rig up a new filler neck as well. Anybody have any tips on removing the bed? This is greatly appreciated guys, thanks.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:59 AM
Posting Guru

michigan66 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The bed is held in place with six bolts. The bolt heads show in the truck bed. Remove them. Then lift the bed enough to get to the top of the tank. You don't have to remove the bed completely. Oh yes, disconnect the filler pipe at the bed connection before lifting it.

Previous vehicle: 1991 XLT, 2.3 SOHC (Lima), M5OD, 7.5 axle 3.45 gears. Donated to a charity.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:01 AM
New User

I'll see if somehow I can get this done by myself today otherwise I'll have to buy some Guinness and get a buddy of mine over. I'll post my results. Thanks guys!

EDIT:Pulled the bed off with the help of my brother and cleaned the contacts on the fuel pump. The fuel gauge is doing more than before, but I won't actually know until I run for a week or so. Thanks guys for all the help. I should've come here sooner. I could have saved 700 bucks!
Old 04-07-2012, 10:01 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Ranger & B-Series

Tags
90, engaging, escape, f150, ford, fuel, gage, gas, gauge, installed, pump, ranger, stopped, work, working