Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Oil & Lubrication
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Oil & Lubrication NO MLM Dealers, Wholesale Buyers Or Retailers allowed (except sponsors)
SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-14-2012, 12:36 PM
Post Fiend

TallPaul is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I would not run ATF. Just too thin for a manual tranny and not much antiwear additive. My '95 F150 never shifted right until I ran the next thicker fluid, which would be a syncromesh fluid. My choice is Redline MTL, which has tons of antiwear additive. Shifted beautifully with MTL.

'01 Ranger, 2.3L, 5 speed, 83,000 miles. Redline MTL, Amsoil Signature 5w20, Wix Oil Filter, Dynomax Super Turbo muffler.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:56 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
ATF fluids contain a specific additive package for Automatic Transmissions, and not for manual transmissions. Most ATF specifications for use in mtl's, IMHO, were to improve cold weather shifting, and not to improve wear.
The above quote is from someone who had blended oil and transmission fluid (I actually ran his fluid in the F150 tranny at one time): Quote is from 5th post here.

'01 Ranger, 2.3L, 5 speed, 83,000 miles. Redline MTL, Amsoil Signature 5w20, Wix Oil Filter, Dynomax Super Turbo muffler.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:53 PM
Post Fiend

jimandmandy has a great reputation on FTE.jimandmandy has a great reputation on FTE.jimandmandy has a great reputation on FTE.jimandmandy has a great reputation on FTE.jimandmandy has a great reputation on FTE.
The Getrag 5-speed in my old BMW could take ATF, straight-30 motor oil or 80W gear oil according to the owners manual. Mercedes owners have told me their cars manual transmissions were also not picky. Redline MTL is what I settled on.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:16 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordGuy85 View Post
OK, got some coastal type f atf in the trans this weekend. So far, seems to be Working quite a bit better than before. Still not like new but very livable.
Call Redline (number is at redlineoil.com) and talk to their chemist, Dave. He is very accessible. Tell him the problem you are having with going into gears and see what he recommends. My gut feeling is that MTL would work better, but what do I know. No harm talking to him.

Old 12-04-2012, 06:57 PM

Beechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordGuy85 View Post
Thanks for the replies! I thought it would be interesting to note that my trans has some wear. You have to be at very low speed or stopped to go into second (I take off from a stop in second). Sometimes it will grind a little when I turn at low speed trying to get it into second. This is a grey area because a lot of the times I am not moving fast enough to use 3rd gear in some turns. Any additives? Certain brands? Lucas? Royal purple? I am thinking ill probably just go with the motorcraft but I'm hoping like heck there is something better for my tranny with some wear.
That would be worn syncro rings.....
Old 12-04-2012, 08:16 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechkid View Post
That would be worn syncro rings.....
As the Type F being less slippery seemed to help, so also would not a thicker fluid also help?

Old 12-05-2012, 09:45 AM
Post Fiend

jimandmandy has a great reputation on FTE.jimandmandy has a great reputation on FTE.jimandmandy has a great reputation on FTE.jimandmandy has a great reputation on FTE.jimandmandy has a great reputation on FTE.
A common problem with older transmissions was that the sychros were made from brass or bronze. 80W-90 gear oil was the common recommendation. This was not optimum, but worked ok with the old API GL-4 and earlier oils. Now, GL-5 EP hypoid oil is all that is commonly available in that weight. GL-5 contains a higher dose of sulphur-based additive (the stinky stuff in gear oil) to better protect rear axle gears . It also corrodes yellow metals, making the syncros go away. This is not a problem in non-synchronized heavy duty truck transmissions, so these oils also get the API MT-1 designation. People mistakenly think MT-1 means its safe for all manual transmissions.

This debate rages on old Volkswagen forums because those cars have the transmission and differential in a single housing. What is specified in the owners manual sometimes doesnt exist, so people believe newer specs are always backward compatible. Since the ring and pinion gears are spiral bevel, like pre-1950's Fords, not hypoid, EP gear oil is unnecessary and in fact harmful. This is a similar issue to newer low-zddp motor oils in older flat tappet engines.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:12 PM
Senior User

Bad Bad Leroy Brown is starting off with a positive reputation.
After running the Pen syncromesh for about 7 months, I decided to go thicker because I still had a good amount of whine in gears 1 through 3 but shifting was much better compared to any ATF.

This may be controversial, but I just put in Redline MT-90 which is a GL-4 synthetic manual trans oil with the viscosity of 75w-90. Shifts even better than the syncromesh and doesn't feel "too thick" at all. Plus it is very good for the yellow metal syncros, and has a just right coefficient of friction to make them work when shifting.

The Pennzoil came out dark in that short time, so it may be too harsh of an environment for it making it oxidize, the redline should be able to handle the heat better. Time will tell if its too thick for winter shifting, but I'll use it until I run into any issues.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:45 PM
New User

Grant Harvey is starting off with a positive reputation.
thicker fluid in winter?

So how did that thicker fluid work for you in the winter months?
Old 03-08-2014, 06:55 PM
Posting Guru

racsan is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.racsan is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
pennzoil syncromesh work fine for me in winter, i wouldnt run any heavier oil than that in a manual trans unless it called for it.
http://www.therangerstation.com/foru...d.php?t=148057
Old 03-08-2014, 06:55 PM