Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > Expedition & Navigator
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-06-2012, 10:26 AM
New User

cardana24 is starting off with a positive reputation.
2001 Expedition, 4.6 engine compatibility?

Hi guys, I might be swaping an 4.6 engine in a 2001 Expedition in the near future. I am looking around for junkyard engines and the only thing I am seeing that fits is the 2001-2002 Expedition engine. Is this true? I am fine with swapping over acessories, but I don't want to have to do major work (i.e. rewiring/ adapt to new transmission/ etc.). Are these two years my only options? Thanks for any help.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:32 PM
New User

anyone know?
Old 04-09-2012, 11:14 PM
Elder User

5.4T has a very good reputation on FTE.5.4T has a very good reputation on FTE.5.4T has a very good reputation on FTE.
well if you have a 2001 it should fit another 2001
Old 04-10-2012, 10:35 AM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.4T View Post
well if you have a 2001 it should fit another 2001
I understand that. I want to know if other 4.6 block and heads will fit the 01 Expedition. For example.... Does a 4.6 from a mustang have the same block and heads as the 4.6 offered in the 01 Expedition? Or is the bolt pattern on the block for the bell housing different? I am looking to see if I can take a 4.6 from another ford and swap it into an 01 Expedition....I realized the intake manifold and acessories will be different, but as far as block and heads are there any other doners I can use for an 01 Expedition?
Old 04-10-2012, 03:45 PM
Postmaster

Moto Mel has a great reputation on FTE.Moto Mel has a great reputation on FTE.Moto Mel has a great reputation on FTE.Moto Mel has a great reputation on FTE.Moto Mel has a great reputation on FTE.
Double post, sorry.

Last edited by Moto Mel; 04-10-2012 at 03:52 PM. Reason: Double post
Old 04-10-2012, 03:51 PM
Postmaster

Moto Mel has a great reputation on FTE.Moto Mel has a great reputation on FTE.Moto Mel has a great reputation on FTE.Moto Mel has a great reputation on FTE.Moto Mel has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardana24 View Post
I understand that. I want to know if other 4.6 block and heads will fit the 01 Expedition. For example.... Does a 4.6 from a mustang have the same block and heads as the 4.6 offered in the 01 Expedition? Or is the bolt pattern on the block for the bell housing different? I am looking to see if I can take a 4.6 from another ford and swap it into an 01 Expedition....I realized the intake manifold and acessories will be different, but as far as block and heads are there any other doners I can use for an 01 Expedition?

Nearly all of the 4.6 engines have the same bolt patterns for the heads and intakes. There is a difference between the Windsor and the Cleveland built engines that is the number of bolts in the valve/cam cover and also in the front timing cover. The engine or block that you will want to avoid would be the DOHC units used in the FWD Continentals, those have a smaller bell housing and are just totaly incompatible with your needs. With that said, you should be certain of the plant your engine was made in and get a similar engine that was built in the same plant. Way fewer headaches when doing it that way.
Old 04-10-2012, 03:53 PM
New User

here is an ebay link eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

they are selling a re maned long block. According to this all of the 4.6 used in the trucks/vans from 99-04 will work. Can any one confirm this? It would make it a lot easier to find a replacement. Again, I really just need to know what long blocks will work, I am fine with swapping everything else.

*edit* Arent all 4.6's in the 01 Expedition from the Romeo plant?
Old 06-10-2012, 11:59 AM
Junior User

slaponte is starting off with a positive reputation.
Reading on same issues.

I am also researching options on the 4.6L. I own a 98 XLT with the 4.6L. The engine has been great, and I can say I get 18/19 in city and 22+ hwy. But, at 199K miles it is starting to get a bit tired and consuming some oil. So I am researching the topic as well : rebuild vs swap.

I would think the first answer from all would be swap in a 5.4 from a similar year. It should be pretty easy to bolt on I guess. But I think I rather keep my 4.6L and rebuild it with maybe a swap of cam, heads and updates here and there.

I found this great article Ford 4.6 Engine - Junkyard Jewel Ford 4.6l 2v - Engine Build Up - Hot Rod Magazine. I am not going to build a hot rod but sometimes the info that comes in the article can be quite handy.

Right away I find that the post 99 4.6L 2V has better HP and torque than the pre-99 version. That might be an easy swap right there, and pickup 50hp on the move is not bad.

Personally I am not too hung up on keeping the tranny. Mine had problems early (around 50K miles) and thank god for the extended warranty! If that has to go for a newer/better option, so be it.

Anyway, more/any info on 4,6 compatability is very welcome. If I could rebuild a later model 4.6L 4V engine that can go into the expy, I think that would be great. The article claims to free up 160HP. I would go milder : an extra 75 to 100 would be fine with me.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:59 AM