Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-06-2012, 12:43 AM
Postmaster

joshofalltrades is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.joshofalltrades is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
85 e350 6.9 @ junkyard, what should i grab

i was at the local junkyard today and noticed an 85 e350 with the 6.9, after having absolutely no diesels there in quite some time.
it appears to be complete, air cleaner still in place, everything. i pulled the radiator cap and noticed a lot of white buildup inside on the top of the core, so i figure thats junk, and may indicate some other issues. but the van was wrecked, so i assume it was still running.

i'm planning to go back in a day or two and pick up the injector lines, maybe the injectors and pump, maybe more.
any advice on what i should grab or what i should stay away from?
Old 04-06-2012, 03:18 AM
Postmaster

LCAM-01XA has a very good reputation on FTE.LCAM-01XA has a very good reputation on FTE.LCAM-01XA has a very good reputation on FTE.
Power steering pump w/ pulley, its mounting bracket and the aluminum spacer behind it, and the pressure hose between the pup and the steering box if possible - basically cut the belt, cut the low pressure return hose below the pump, undo pressure hose from steering box, undo two bolts for mounting bracket (upper one is like a mile long, lower one is easy), and pull the whole thing. If you can't remove the pressure hose from the steering box just cut it and buy a new one from the parts store (should be under $20, and tis good idea anyways), don't even think of trying to undo it from the pump cause if you pull the big fitting that it's screwed into you can lose many vital parts, and it really ain't worth the efforts anyways. If van has cruise control that will need to get moved out of the way, and you'll be fighting the A/C hoses as well while yanking the pump out from the engine bay cause it will try to get stuck/jammed against the A/C compressor.

When you get home take the pump bracket off (it's doable w/ pulley still on, so don't mess w/ pulley), clean it and paint it. Then remove the reservoir from the pump and clean it real good inside, also clean the pump itself and the magnet stuck to the inner side of its front face. Paint the tank, while tis drying take the pressure-regulating valve apart and do the West Texas Offroad mod to it to bring it up to 1400 or so psi - just remove the external shims for this and grind the pin down a bit, don't add any shims or anything inside the valve. No need to drill the big fitting for increased flow as it's already at 5/32" from the factory which is plenty. Put valve back together, put tank on pump (buy a reseal kit for this, tis cheap enough), stick pressure-regulating valve back in pump, reinstall big fitting, attach pressure hose finger-tight, reinstall mounting bracket. Now pull your own pump and drop this in its place, then redo your old pump the same way and sell it to someone w/ a pickup truck who wants more powerful steering assist - chances are you will make someone on here very happy, lol.

Also pull the fuel filter tower and filter-to-IP steel line, on an '88-up pickup truck it makes for an excellent setup for a dual-stage filtering setup using all factory parts - the 7.3 filter & water separator is the primary w/ 12 micron filtering, from its outlet you run 3/8" hose (or steel line if you wanna be fancy) to the inlet of van's filter tower which will further filter fuel down to 6 microns, and from there you feed the IP via the factory van steel line.

Old 04-06-2012, 11:24 AM
Junior User

kb1jid is starting off with a positive reputation.
parts to pull

Hi you can pull the bracket that is bolted to the pass side head/valve cover that the oil dip stick is bolted too and also if it has cruise control pull the vac unit and bracket that is bolted to the core suport and the cable that goes fron it to the IP and give me a price if you would like to sell them. Iam doing a converision I have taken out my 351 gasser and installing a 7.3 into my 1990 van camper. My local yard does not even have a diesel PU in it. Thanks very much Bob
Old 04-06-2012, 01:39 PM
Post Fiend

IDIDieselJohn has a very good reputation on FTE.IDIDieselJohn has a very good reputation on FTE.IDIDieselJohn has a very good reputation on FTE.IDIDieselJohn has a very good reputation on FTE.
X3 on getting the Saginaw P/S pump and bracket! Lots want to do that swap in their trucks, but can't find an IDI van anywhere to rob those parts off of.

1990 Ford F250 4x4, ZF5, L/S 4.10, N/A 7.3L Diesel, 568,808km/377,497 miles, still on the original clutch!
1989 Ford F150 300-6, C6, 2.73, 135,000km/84,000 miles.
1987 Ford E350 26ft. Motorhome, N/A 6.9L Diesel, C6, 3.54, 277,000km/173,000 miles.
1985 Ford E350 Ext Van, 6.9L Diesel, C6, 4.11, 670,000km/419k miles
Old 04-11-2012, 04:38 AM
Postmaster

joshofalltrades is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.joshofalltrades is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
i got there today and picked up the IP and all fuel lines, and the filter assy, for dirty cheap. the engine is labeled a 7.3 on the valve cover, and the filter tower is the type that has the water seperator built into it, instead of having the separate unit down on teh frame like mine has.
which brings me to the question: since my water separator just started leaking, how much work is involved installing the filter tower i just picked up onto my van? its the style that has the lower filter bowl on the bottom of the filter, and is labeled with comments about draining the water. it has 2, 1-wire harnesses to it, one for the WIF light, and the other, what??? i want to know what i'm doing before i tear my system apart. for the moment, my system is patched with a plugged hose coming off the water separator drain, we'll see how long that lasts.
i also grabbed the steering pump, and i must say, i'm satisfied with my original pump as is, so whats the going price for this pump?? anyone need it?

KB1JID, i'll try to pull your parts tomorrow when i'm there, and then send you a PM to figure out price and shipping and all that. it does have cruise, and i just set that aside.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:31 AM
Posting Guru

farmert is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.farmert is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshofalltrades View Post
i got there today and picked up the IP and all fuel lines, and the filter assy, for dirty cheap. the engine is labeled a 7.3 on the valve cover, and the filter tower is the type that has the water seperator built into it, instead of having the separate unit down on teh frame like mine has.
which brings me to the question: since my water separator just started leaking, how much work is involved installing the filter tower i just picked up onto my van? its the style that has the lower filter bowl on the bottom of the filter, and is labeled with comments about draining the water. it has 2, 1-wire harnesses to it, one for the WIF light, and the other, what??? i want to know what i'm doing before i tear my system apart. for the moment, my system is patched with a plugged hose coming off the water separator drain, we'll see how long that lasts.
i also grabbed the steering pump, and i must say, i'm satisfied with my original pump as is, so whats the going price for this pump?? anyone need it?

KB1JID, i'll try to pull your parts tomorrow when i'm there, and then send you a PM to figure out price and shipping and all that. it does have cruise, and i just set that aside.
On the F series, there are 3 one wire connectections, 1- WIF, connects to bottom of filter. 2- Fuel heater connects to top of filter head. 3- Fuel restriction, connects to sensor next to schrader valve.
1997 F350 SRW Reg cab powerstroke 4.10, zf5spd 4X4, 3inch downpipe, 6637 mod, intercooler
1996 F350 Crewcab dually 4.10, E4OD, 3" downpipe, 6637 filter
1996 F350 C&C Dually reg cab 4X4 flatbed Zf5 4.10, 3" downpipe, 6637 filter
Old 04-11-2012, 08:31 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L)

Tags
1985, 2004, 69, bracket, diesel, duty, e350, feeder, ford, gas, light, neck, power, steering, truck