Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Ram - great thread!

2013 Ram - F150online Forums

Old 04-05-2012, 08:50 PM
flixden
Posting Guru
Interesting options. I like the air bags. I was always wondering why manufacturers do not install them.

Old 04-05-2012, 11:36 PM
96 Ford Flareside
Junior User
The new Ram doesn't look to bad, but why would you want your motor to shut off at every stop? Seems like that would wear out your starter quick and cause a bit of a delay when you want to start accelerating again. The motor could just run on 4 cylinders at a stop, that way it would still save fuel but keep the motor running. Also, can you manually adjust the air ride suspension or is it automatic?

Old 04-06-2012, 02:32 AM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 96 Ford Flareside
The new Ram doesn't look to bad, but why would you want your motor to shut off at every stop? Seems like that would wear out your starter quick and cause a bit of a delay when you want to start accelerating again. The motor could just run on 4 cylinders at a stop, that way it would still save fuel but keep the motor running. Also, can you manually adjust the air ride suspension or is it automatic?
You want it to shut off to save fuel! Have you ever driven a Toyota Prius? They shut off at every stop and it saves lots of gas. I think more and more vehicles will end up going to the same shut down (except the diesel).

From the website for the air ride suspension:

Air pressure increases until the vehicle reaches normal ride height, leveling the truck and improving the loaded ride. It has five height settings that operate automatically or via console or key fob controls:

Normal Ride Height (NRH): 8.7 inches of clearance (from the base of the door sill) is the default, load-leveled ride height
Aero: Lowers the Ram by 1.1 inches, increasing gas mileage by up to 1%. It is activated by speed.
Off-road 1 and 2: Lifts the vehicle 1.2 and 2 inches, respectively, to clear obstacles
Park: Lowers the truck by 2 inches from NRH for easy entry/exit and cargo loading

Old 04-06-2012, 04:11 AM
640 CI Aluminum FORD
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The stop/start engine technology will be an intresting thing for those who install loud exhaust pipes on their vehicles.

Costing up to a red light RUMBLE RUMBLE RUMBLE...

Come to a complete stop...RUMBLE rumble...(.....)

Start accelrating again...VAROOM.

Old 04-06-2012, 10:28 AM
96 Ford Flareside
Junior User
Originally Posted by PrinceValium
You want it to shut off to save fuel! Have you ever driven a Toyota Prius? They shut off at every stop and it saves lots of gas. I think more and more vehicles will end up going to the same shut down (except the diesel).
No I haven't driven a Toyota Prius. I didn't realize that they also had a start/stop system. I guess I would rather keep the motor running than shut it off to save a bit of fuel, maybe if I lived in a big city it would make more sense with all the stop lights/signs. Also if your towing a heavy load and your motor shuts off at every stop, wouldn't that cause wear and tear on the motor?

Old 04-06-2012, 05:13 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
It looks like you'll have to pay out the big bucks for the Laramie edition to get all the goodies. Looks like Dodge has taken the 2013 Ram truck over the top and will ultimately force GM and Ford to play catch-up.

Old 04-06-2012, 07:16 PM
96Indyram
Freshman User
I would personally leave the engine running at a stop light, Just for the simple reason is the Manufacturer be it Dodge, Toyota..etc.... DON'T have to pay to replace the starter! The owner does!

If the vehicle is out of warranty and you take it ( or have it towed...because it won’t start) to a dealership to replace a starter...at dealership prices plus labor.
Even if you changed the starter yourself in your driveway... The hassle of having to get the vehicle towed home ( unless you change it where it died... grocery store parking lot, gas station..) Then get to the part store to buy a new starter...etc... everyone here knows the hassle.

The cost of fuel idling at a stop light is probably WAY cheaper than the extra wear and tear on the starter.
just my 2 cents..

Old 04-06-2012, 07:55 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Gas powered golf carts shut down when stopped and restart when you press the go pedal. Been that way for years. But I wouldn't like the hesitation on startup when you can go again. It is noticeable.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:31 PM
juneau76
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fully boxed frame. Wonder where they got that idea. I'm not sure how they're installed, but I can picture a few years of winter road junk screwing up those little grille shutters. I get the concept, but I'm not sure I would want them.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:58 PM
sabre364
Freshman User
They are really throwing a lot of tech into these trucks - at least the loaded ones.

I, like many of you are wondering about reliability for some of these features, but chrysler still offers a lifetime warranty that you can purchase. Approx $1800 for maxcare lifetime with $100 deductible, and they are actually pretty damn good about honoring stuff at higher mileages...

These new ram 1/2 tons look great, looking forward to all these features showing up across Ford and GM, looks like the next couple years are gonna be great for innovation.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:36 PM
ommegang
Senior User
Originally Posted by 96Indyram
I would personally leave the engine running at a stop light, Just for the simple reason is the Manufacturer be it Dodge, Toyota..etc.... DON'T have to pay to replace the starter! The owner does!

If the vehicle is out of warranty and you take it ( or have it towed...because it won’t start) to a dealership to replace a starter...at dealership prices plus labor.
Even if you changed the starter yourself in your driveway... The hassle of having to get the vehicle towed home ( unless you change it where it died... grocery store parking lot, gas station..) Then get to the part store to buy a new starter...etc... everyone here knows the hassle.

The cost of fuel idling at a stop light is probably WAY cheaper than the extra wear and tear on the starter.
just my 2 cents..
My thoughts exactly.

Old 04-07-2012, 05:14 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
This may be an apples to oranges comparison: I drive a mail truck everyday. The truck is started and stopped more times a day, very similar in nature to a UPS truck.

In the six years that I've driven this truck, she's eaten 3 batteries, 3 starters and 2 ignition cylinders.

Old 04-07-2012, 02:29 PM
ArtsBest
Elder User
They are w/o a doubt on the right track now. But as been alluded to here before WHY don't the regular cab trucks get the same more impressive interior packages as the crew series?

I like the **** selector instead of stick and the push button start technology is a real plus. But Ford has them all beat with their key pad door opener.

Why they're waiting for late summer on the 2013 line doesn't really make much sense however.

Old 04-07-2012, 07:21 PM
Augster
Senior User
I will say that I passed a new white RAM 3500 crew(it appears to be a 2WD) towing a trailer, and I was really won over by its styling versus a F2/350. Have no idea about its capabilities compared to said Fords, but IMO, it's a sharper looking truck than the Super Duties.

Quick Reply: New Ram - great thread!