1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Trans problem... E4OD

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 02:09 PM
Brown Falcon
Hotshot
Received 123 Likes on 83 Posts
Trans problem... E4OD

Finally got my 4x4 E4OD trans and tcase installed in my truck.

Problem is that everything works except Reverse. Fluid is full, brand new shifter cable, goes forward fine, shifts fine, t-case works, but Reverse acts like neutral.

Any ideas? I think I read somewhere that if the trans filter drops down out of place it can cause this problem, but what to know what you all think before I drain it all out again and drop the pan...

Old 04-05-2012, 02:16 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've heard something like that too. The people I bought the black/red '97 from a while back said the trans was bad. I brought it home and filled it up with fluid and everything worked except reverse. I didn't check into what the problem was though cause I had another trans to put in it.

Old 04-05-2012, 02:41 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Good idea on the filter Evan. Luckily that pan is from the 4R and has the drain plug... just get a clean bucket to drain it into so you can re-use the fluid. Did you have the pan off or did you just do a fluid swap? Knowing what the truck went through it may have been enough to knock the filter loose...

Old 04-05-2012, 04:44 PM
DarkStarMedia
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If I am remembering correctly you have to engage the band for reverse to work... If you drop the pan check the piston and rod for the band and make sure it's in place correctly.

You should be able to actuate each gear using an air nozzle with rubber tip... the tranny rebuilder guide will tell you where to blow...

Richard

Old 04-05-2012, 06:14 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
There is no band for reverse. It's a clutch. If the linkage is working correctly then it has to be something inside the reverse clutch, usually a bad seal.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:36 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
There is no band for reverse. It's a clutch. If the linkage is working correctly then it has to be something inside the reverse clutch, usually a bad seal.
Mark I PM'ed you about this on another site, I'm the one that sold Evan this transmission.
I talked to a friend who owns a shop up here and he mentioned something about a snap ring holding the reverse drum in, and thought it was very likely that snap ring broke. Does that seem plausible?

Old 04-05-2012, 08:34 PM
Brown Falcon
Hotshot
If it isn't the filter then it'll be beyond my abilities, might have to take it in to a shop...

Old 04-05-2012, 08:50 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
Originally Posted by superduty4x4
Mark I PM'ed you about this on another site, I'm the one that sold Evan this transmission.
I talked to a friend who owns a shop up here and he mentioned something about a snap ring holding the reverse drum in, and thought it was very likely that snap ring broke. Does that seem plausible?
That is possible. Each clutch has a snap ring that holds it together. If this ring comes out of it's groove or breaks the clutch will not apply.

Old 04-06-2012, 12:02 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
I had a snap ring break on a C4 and no reverse.

Evan, if you drop the pan, check to see if the filter gasket from the old one isn't stuck up in there and not allowing the new filter to seat in there far enough. But, I bet you already knew that!

Old 04-06-2012, 12:29 AM
Brown Falcon
Hotshot
I didn't drop the pan on the trans at all, it only has 20k on it so I figured the filter would still be good.

I'm going to re-adjust the new shift cable just to be sure it's good, then drain the pan and check the filter, check for snap ring pieces...

Old 04-06-2012, 03:58 PM
Brown Falcon
Hotshot
Well this just sucks...

The filter was still in place, no sign of a snap ring, but lots of metal shavings. As you can see in the picture the whole magnet there is covered and there are more spread out around the pan you can see at the top and to the right.

Old 04-06-2012, 04:16 PM
DarkStarMedia
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon
Well this just sucks...

The filter was still in place, no sign of a snap ring, but lots of metal shavings. As you can see in the picture the whole magnet there is covered and there are more spread out around the pan you can see at the top and to the right.
I have seen a lot worse on working transmissions....

It is normal to have fuzz on the magnet on the automatics...

Richard

Old 04-06-2012, 04:22 PM
Brown Falcon
Hotshot
This trans is supposed to have 20k on it. When I had the pan dropped on my 2wd trans at 20k there was hardly any fuzz at all.

Whatever is causing me to not have reverse is beyond what I can fix myself. And if I'm taking it in and having a shop tear into it I might as well rebuild it with better parts. Looking at the Racer X website right now, thinking valve body, triple disc converter, and Red Eagle extra clutch packs.

Old 04-06-2012, 04:27 PM
DarkStarMedia
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon
This trans is supposed to have 20k on it. When I had the pan dropped on my 2wd trans at 20k there was hardly any fuzz at all.

Whatever is causing me to not have reverse is beyond what I can fix myself. And if I'm taking it in and having a shop tear into it I might as well rebuild it with better parts. Looking at the Racer X website right now, thinking valve body, triple disc converter, and Red Eagle extra clutch packs.
That is waht I want to do... you might also want to look at transstar for the TC... they have the same billet triple disc converters at a fraction of the cost.

But get everything else from them.

Richard

Old 04-06-2012, 04:32 PM
Brown Falcon
Hotshot
Do you have a link for the transstar converters?

Quick Reply: Trans problem... E4OD