Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.4L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-05-2012, 11:16 AM
New User

ccrider1116 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Help Draining my Water Separator

So before I post this, I have a feeling this is going to be a pretty easy process, so I kind of feel dumb even posting it. BUT, I need to know since I am new to having a diesel. I have read and been told that I need to drain my water separator, and I am unable to get to my owners manual at this time to see what it says. So, how do I drain the water separator and how frequently should I do it?
Old 04-05-2012, 11:49 AM
Senior User

chi6488 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I do mine monthly. Under the driver side of the vehicle you will see the housing with a lever.

I drain for a 30 count and into a glass jar I can inspect and then pour it into a jug for oil changes disposal. If you are on incline might want to back truck in, rear high and drain. I had problems with a moderatly sloped driveway draining until it was too late

Old 04-05-2012, 01:27 PM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi6488 View Post
I do mine monthly. Under the driver side of the vehicle you will see the housing with a lever.

I drain for a 30 count and into a glass jar I can inspect and then pour it into a jug for oil changes disposal. If you are on incline might want to back truck in, rear high and drain. I had problems with a moderatly sloped driveway draining until it was too late
Thanks chi! I will do that today. I am not sure if the previous owner of the truck did any of this maintenance so I'm trying to figure out everything I need to do in regards to maintenance. I appreciate the info and if you have any other maintenance related things you do or think I need to check, (other than the standard oil changes/fuel filter changes) I am open ears.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:54 PM
Elder User

Gearitis is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Gearitis is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
If you are not sure what the previous owner has done, I would just bite the bullet and change both fuel filters and change the oil before anything. Check the radiator fluid, fuel cooler fluid, and etc. I can guarantee you that you will not be sorry and feel better that you know you did this.
2011 F-250 Lariat Stock
2003 Keystone Cougar 286 EFS 5er
Old 04-05-2012, 07:40 PM
New User

F250Snowman is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrider1116 View Post
So before I post this, I have a feeling this is going to be a pretty easy process, so I kind of feel dumb even posting it. BUT, I need to know since I am new to having a diesel. I have read and been told that I need to drain my water separator, and I am unable to get to my owners manual at this time to see what it says. So, how do I drain the water separator and how frequently should I do it?
Took me a few minutes to find it but once I did the drain took less than a minute. If I can do it anyone can...
Old 04-08-2012, 07:14 AM
Senior User

weyland426 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.weyland426 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
now that you've found the separator, how do like that super convenient and easy-to-get-to location...*extreme sarcasm*?
Old 04-08-2012, 07:37 AM
Junior User

Finz250 is starting off with a positive reputation.
So after you drain it - what then? I drained about 6oz of fuel out and I guess it was just fuel. Since water is insoluble in diesel fuel I would assume any water would be separated or beaded up. But how do you tell?
Old 04-08-2012, 07:40 AM
Senior User

weyland426 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.weyland426 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
pray the warning message goes off forget about it for another month or so i often times only have a drop or two of water in several ounces of fuel...must be one damn sensative sensor.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:42 PM
Posting Guru

RM2738 has a very good reputation on FTE.RM2738 has a very good reputation on FTE.RM2738 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finz250 View Post
So after you drain it - what then? I drained about 6oz of fuel out and I guess it was just fuel. Since water is insoluble in diesel fuel I would assume any water would be separated or beaded up. But how do you tell?
Either you don't have any water in your fuel or the water has made it through the system. You'd see the droplets if there was any water.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:00 PM
Senior User

pugster is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'm draining my water seperator daily now.

Getting tired of it. I drain it, message disappears, drive to work & on way back home I get the message again. I changed both fuel filters last Friday hoping that would help.

I welcome any suggestions, I hate to take it to the dealer or shop where they'll punish me by charging for 2 new fuel filters.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:33 PM
Postmaster

UGA33 has a great reputation on FTE.UGA33 has a great reputation on FTE.UGA33 has a great reputation on FTE.UGA33 has a great reputation on FTE.UGA33 has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugster View Post
I'm draining my water seperator daily now.

Getting tired of it. I drain it, message disappears, drive to work & on way back home I get the message again. I changed both fuel filters last Friday hoping that would help.

I welcome any suggestions, I hate to take it to the dealer or shop where they'll punish me by charging for 2 new fuel filters.
Take the pump off and take the front manifold off and clean the seperator area with carb cleaner. Pull the sensor out of the side of the pump and clean it also.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:24 AM
Freshman User

SeaPig is starting off with a positive reputation.
Holy Cow!
That is a great Idea.
I never thought of the H2O maybe staying there.
I had this problem a couple of years ago, and it kind of faded away.
I figured it was because I changed where I was getting my Diesel??
~Mike~
CCV MOD using a RACOR CCV 4500
FS-4500, Remote Trans Filter from DieselSite
Old 04-24-2012, 01:50 PM
New User

UPDATE: So I didn't get a chance to update how this went when I did it, so sorry for the delayed update. I drained the water and filled an 8 oz glass almost 3/4 full of water with just a few droplets of fuel mixed in. Everything I have read tells me that that is too much water. Could it be that the previous owner never did this? I have not gotten any warning messages inside the truck regarding this. I also showed it to my neighbor to make sure I wasn't losing my mind and I wasn't looking at fuel rather than water.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:22 PM

senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
Quote:
UPDATE: So I didn't get a chance to update how this went when I did it, so sorry for the delayed update. I drained the water and filled an 8 oz glass almost 3/4 full of water with just a few droplets of fuel mixed in. Everything I have read tells me that that is too much water. Could it be that the previous owner never did this? I have not gotten any warning messages inside the truck regarding this. I also showed it to my neighbor to make sure I wasn't losing my mind and I wasn't looking at fuel rather than water.
Have you pulled the filters? Better do that and inspect the fuel bowl for rust and metal.

Previous Truck 2008 F250 6.4 with lots of upgrades and a suspension upgrade from Torklift International StableLoads
Old 04-24-2012, 02:39 PM
Posting Guru

RM2738 has a very good reputation on FTE.RM2738 has a very good reputation on FTE.RM2738 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
I'd also consider draining it more until you drain more fuel than water.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:39 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.4L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
2009, drain, engine, f250, f350, ford, fuelwater, internet, job, power, powered, reduced, search, separator, seperator, truck, vbulletin, water