6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Help Draining my Water Separator

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 11:16 AM
ccrider1116
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help Draining my Water Separator

So before I post this, I have a feeling this is going to be a pretty easy process, so I kind of feel dumb even posting it. BUT, I need to know since I am new to having a diesel. I have read and been told that I need to drain my water separator, and I am unable to get to my owners manual at this time to see what it says. So, how do I drain the water separator and how frequently should I do it?

Old 04-05-2012, 11:49 AM
chi6488
Senior User
I do mine monthly. Under the driver side of the vehicle you will see the housing with a lever.

I drain for a 30 count and into a glass jar I can inspect and then pour it into a jug for oil changes disposal. If you are on incline might want to back truck in, rear high and drain. I had problems with a moderatly sloped driveway draining until it was too late

Old 04-05-2012, 01:27 PM
ccrider1116
New User
Originally Posted by chi6488
I do mine monthly. Under the driver side of the vehicle you will see the housing with a lever.

I drain for a 30 count and into a glass jar I can inspect and then pour it into a jug for oil changes disposal. If you are on incline might want to back truck in, rear high and drain. I had problems with a moderatly sloped driveway draining until it was too late
Thanks chi! I will do that today. I am not sure if the previous owner of the truck did any of this maintenance so I'm trying to figure out everything I need to do in regards to maintenance. I appreciate the info and if you have any other maintenance related things you do or think I need to check, (other than the standard oil changes/fuel filter changes) I am open ears.

Old 04-05-2012, 01:54 PM
Gearitis
Elder User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you are not sure what the previous owner has done, I would just bite the bullet and change both fuel filters and change the oil before anything. Check the radiator fluid, fuel cooler fluid, and etc. I can guarantee you that you will not be sorry and feel better that you know you did this.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:40 PM
F250Snowman
New User
Originally Posted by ccrider1116
So before I post this, I have a feeling this is going to be a pretty easy process, so I kind of feel dumb even posting it. BUT, I need to know since I am new to having a diesel. I have read and been told that I need to drain my water separator, and I am unable to get to my owners manual at this time to see what it says. So, how do I drain the water separator and how frequently should I do it?
Took me a few minutes to find it but once I did the drain took less than a minute. If I can do it anyone can...

Old 04-08-2012, 07:14 AM
weyland426
More Turbo
now that you've found the separator, how do like that super convenient and easy-to-get-to location...*extreme sarcasm*?

Old 04-08-2012, 07:37 AM
Finz250
Junior User
So after you drain it - what then? I drained about 6oz of fuel out and I guess it was just fuel. Since water is insoluble in diesel fuel I would assume any water would be separated or beaded up. But how do you tell?

Old 04-08-2012, 07:40 AM
weyland426
More Turbo
pray the warning message goes off forget about it for another month or so i often times only have a drop or two of water in several ounces of fuel...must be one damn sensative sensor.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:42 PM
RM2738
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Finz250
So after you drain it - what then? I drained about 6oz of fuel out and I guess it was just fuel. Since water is insoluble in diesel fuel I would assume any water would be separated or beaded up. But how do you tell?
Either you don't have any water in your fuel or the water has made it through the system. You'd see the droplets if there was any water.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:00 PM
pugster
Senior User
I'm draining my water seperator daily now.

Getting tired of it. I drain it, message disappears, drive to work & on way back home I get the message again. I changed both fuel filters last Friday hoping that would help.

I welcome any suggestions, I hate to take it to the dealer or shop where they'll punish me by charging for 2 new fuel filters.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:33 PM
UGA33
Lead Driver

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by pugster
I'm draining my water seperator daily now.

Getting tired of it. I drain it, message disappears, drive to work & on way back home I get the message again. I changed both fuel filters last Friday hoping that would help.

I welcome any suggestions, I hate to take it to the dealer or shop where they'll punish me by charging for 2 new fuel filters.
Take the pump off and take the front manifold off and clean the seperator area with carb cleaner. Pull the sensor out of the side of the pump and clean it also.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:24 AM
SeaPig
5th Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Holy Cow!
That is a great Idea.
I never thought of the H2O maybe staying there.
I had this problem a couple of years ago, and it kind of faded away.
I figured it was because I changed where I was getting my Diesel??
~Mike~

Old 04-24-2012, 01:50 PM
ccrider1116
New User
UPDATE: So I didn't get a chance to update how this went when I did it, so sorry for the delayed update. I drained the water and filled an 8 oz glass almost 3/4 full of water with just a few droplets of fuel mixed in. Everything I have read tells me that that is too much water. Could it be that the previous owner never did this? I have not gotten any warning messages inside the truck regarding this. I also showed it to my neighbor to make sure I wasn't losing my mind and I wasn't looking at fuel rather than water.

Old 04-24-2012, 02:22 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
UPDATE: So I didn't get a chance to update how this went when I did it, so sorry for the delayed update. I drained the water and filled an 8 oz glass almost 3/4 full of water with just a few droplets of fuel mixed in. Everything I have read tells me that that is too much water. Could it be that the previous owner never did this? I have not gotten any warning messages inside the truck regarding this. I also showed it to my neighbor to make sure I wasn't losing my mind and I wasn't looking at fuel rather than water.
Have you pulled the filters? Better do that and inspect the fuel bowl for rust and metal.

Old 04-24-2012, 02:39 PM
RM2738
Posting Guru
I'd also consider draining it more until you drain more fuel than water.

Quick Reply: Help Draining my Water Separator