Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-2015 Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-05-2012, 07:45 AM
Junior User

tuscany is starting off with a positive reputation.
6-speed transmission not shifting properly

In my 2011 F-250, 6.7, auto....it seems that at certain times went the tranny shifts from 2nd to 3rd and I pause with acceleration, for some reason the tranny seems to go into a slip mode and then slams into 3rd. Now I read about 8 months ago that there was a computer upgrade via Ford. Which they did when I was having some work done on the truck at the dealership......but that didn't help. Just want to see if anyone else has this problem.

“Remember without a gun, the flag your waving might as well be white”
Old 04-05-2012, 09:44 AM
Senior User

whiteywhip is starting off with a positive reputation.
SO FAR SO GOOD
Old 04-14-2012, 12:54 PM
New User

Poletech is starting off with a positive reputation.
Yes I am having the same problem. I can pretty much make the truck do it 99.9% of time. I plan on taking mine in as soon as I can get a break from work.
Old 04-14-2012, 02:51 PM
Freshman User

Tethergrain is starting off with a positive reputation.
yup me too 9F550 2011)

I posted earlier about this, happened to me 3 weeks ago, stealership resynched servos? told me to drive it as normal, it will relearn. Well, its still stupid, so today it thru an engine code: P0401 EGR crap, naturally, not cvrd under powertrain, for my bumper to bumper has long since passed. Truck is a rolling problem.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:32 PM
Senior User

Smoke2008 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Transmission Issues somewhat common.....I had to fight with Ford to get my transmission resolved.....There are TSB's out for resolving the transmission issues...but it's almost like pulling teeth ...trying to get Ford to O.K. the repair.
1st TSB 11-7-10, has to do with Transmission shift solenoids 4 of them....and reprogram transmission, this didnot resolve my transmission shifting issue.
Ford approved the replacing of the Transmission valve body which resolved the transmission shifting issue........this was only done after getting video of the shifing flares.....alot of video....and spending almost $ 800.00 on a rental truck to work out of while my truck was in the shop. Please keep in mind this was not a easy process to get Ford to fix something ......and the dealership told me more than once that it was a relearing process....Good Luck give them HE!! and keep us informed....
Old 04-14-2012, 05:01 PM
Senior User

Smoke2008 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tethergrain View Post
I posted earlier about this, happened to me 3 weeks ago, stealership resynched servos? told me to drive it as normal, it will relearn. Well, its still stupid, so today it thru an engine code: P0401 EGR crap, naturally, not cvrd under powertrain, for my bumper to bumper has long since passed. Truck is a rolling problem.
2 weeks ago a friend with a KR .....I think this issue came up with his truck.....there are 6 sensors that have to do with the EGR.......the repair was about $ 225.00 this was a dealer doing the repair...part was $ 85.00 and the rest was labor...
Old 04-15-2012, 07:20 PM
New User

Poletech is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke2008 View Post
Transmission Issues somewhat common.....I had to fight with Ford to get my transmission resolved.....There are TSB's out for resolving the transmission issues...but it's almost like pulling teeth ...trying to get Ford to O.K. the repair.
1st TSB 11-7-10, has to do with Transmission shift solenoids 4 of them....and reprogram transmission, this didnot resolve my transmission shifting issue.
Ford approved the replacing of the Transmission valve body which resolved the transmission shifting issue........this was only done after getting video of the shifing flares.....alot of video....and spending almost $ 800.00 on a rental truck to work out of while my truck was in the shop. Please keep in mind this was not a easy process to get Ford to fix something ......and the dealership told me more than once that it was a relearing process....Good Luck give them HE!! and keep us informed....
Hearing stuff like this scares me. I've been a Chevy man for as long as I can remember, and have never had any problems with my local GM dealers covering repairs, or at least working with me. This is my first new Ford truck, and hope that this isnt the beginning of problems........
Old 04-16-2012, 06:50 AM
Junior User

Barrie guy is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have had the same problems with my 6.7 2011 F350DRW. I love the truck but the transmission has shifting problems. It shutters going up from 3rd to 4th and 5th to 6th when I have a load on it and hits hard when it comes back down, with ten thousand miles on it. The dealerhip has been excellent so far including sending out a mechanic on his day off to meet me on the Highway with his scan tools while my trailer ws hooked up. It looks like the torque converter is failing according to the computer he hooked up. In a few weeks when I have time to get the truck into the shop I will update this thread with the outcome.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:17 PM
New User

VolDiesel is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have a 2011 F-250 6.7 with the auto Tran. I have experienced the problem multiple times if I feather the throttle than it almost automatically shifts hard especially 3-4 and 4-5. I thought it was my driving but it may not be.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:38 PM
Post Fiend

2ndStroke has a superb reputation2ndStroke has a superb reputation2ndStroke has a superb reputation2ndStroke has a superb reputation2ndStroke has a superb reputation2ndStroke has a superb reputation2ndStroke has a superb reputation2ndStroke has a superb reputation2ndStroke has a superb reputation2ndStroke has a superb reputation2ndStroke has a superb reputation
Same thing here, my truck clunks into 3rd gear, does other werid shifts 5-6, 6-5. Been to the dealer 2 times with no fix. 3rd trip is soon, 5 hour drive to the dealer...nice.
2011 F250 KR 6.7--6,000k heads/fogs/led switchbacks, black headlights, Recon, H&S mm, Flo pro with 6" powder-coated tip, Fusion front & rear bumpers, 20x10 Fuel Kranks, 295/65r20 Nitto trail Grapps, Denali sled deck, Compustar alarm/remote, some plasti dipping, Rigid LEDs--2013 Escape Titanium Ecoboost--2010 F150
Old 05-19-2012, 08:00 AM
Junior User

SandR is starting off with a positive reputation.
If I take it easy accelerating after shifting to 2nd there is a drop in RPM's and then it shifts to 3rd and then it does it again before shifting to 4th (do not notice this any other time). FordMoCo, not dealer, has told me that this is normal and that it is the torq converter. If I accelerate harder I do not feel it. The shifts are smooth but the RPM drop between shifts is noticeable if taking it easy. It is a '12 f350.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:49 PM
New User

jdeerel is starting off with a positive reputation.
2011 F250 2nd to 3rd shifting hard.

My 2011 f250 (gas) does the same thing going from 2nd to 3rd. I took it to the dealer and they did all the TSB testing. Then told me they needed to replace a couple of tranny solenoids. That fixed it for about a week or two then it start to bang into 3rd again. I noticed if I backed out of a space first then went forward it would not bang. Also it seemed to only happen when I let the truck sit for 2 hours or so. I wonder if a 2012 tranny will fit a 2011 truck I don't see any postings for 2012s with this problem....so they know what the root cause is.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:07 PM
Junior User

audimotion is starting off with a positive reputation.
^ I have a 2012 and does bad shifts constantly. It had a tranny reflash last fall and all was good for about 1 week, then it started the same crap again.
It will bang into lower gears (sometimes) and when feathering the throttle (around town driving) the tranny is always in a gear too low and then jerks into the next gear. VERY annoying. So annoying, I switch to manual mode when driving in town. That way it doesnt shift to first when going around corners/slowing down and I can regulate shifts. I'm near 40K miles, so I'm just living with it, cause I'm sure ford would say it is only covered under the bumper to bumper coverage...
Old 02-08-2013, 01:22 PM
Senior User

Rod Bensken is starting off with a positive reputation.
I had this problem with my 2011. They dropped the tranny and replace some pumps, under warrenty. Smooth as a baby's butt now.
2004 Kawasaki Concours (61,000 so far)
2003 Impala (Wife's car)
Old 02-08-2013, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator

powerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdeerel View Post
My 2011 f250 (gas) does the same thing going from 2nd to 3rd. I took it to the dealer and they did all the TSB testing. Then told me they needed to replace a couple of tranny solenoids. That fixed it for about a week or two then it start to bang into 3rd again. I noticed if I backed out of a space first then went forward it would not bang. Also it seemed to only happen when I let the truck sit for 2 hours or so. I wonder if a 2012 tranny will fit a 2011 truck I don't see any postings for 2012s with this problem....so they know what the root cause is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by audimotion View Post
^ I have a 2012 and does bad shifts constantly. It had a tranny reflash last fall and all was good for about 1 week, then it started the same crap again.
It will bang into lower gears (sometimes) and when feathering the throttle (around town driving) the tranny is always in a gear too low and then jerks into the next gear. VERY annoying. So annoying, I switch to manual mode when driving in town. That way it doesnt shift to first when going around corners/slowing down and I can regulate shifts. I'm near 40K miles, so I'm just living with it, cause I'm sure ford would say it is only covered under the bumper to bumper coverage...
I've been dealing with the same issue for over a year now. Latest round was just before Christmas when they had the truck for over two weeks. Replaced the valve body, solenoids, seals, screen / filter, fluid, additive, and reflashed it. It was great for about two weeks and started being a choppy slop box again. Shift flares between 2nd and 3rd and 4th and 5th. In 3rd, it'll go for a few seconds after shifting, lurch like it's trying to shift again, stay in 3rd, and continue on until it actually does shift into 4th.

The other night, my family and I had just pulled onto the road from a parking lot and when the truck began to shift into 3rd, the whole truck just shut down. It felt like somebody stood on the brakes and the engine lost all power. It lasted about 2 seconds and then restarted, shifted into 3rd, and moved right on down the road. I know I didn't hit the brake because I still had my foot on the accelerator and I never drive two-footed. And my foot isn't wide enough to hit both pedals at the same time.

It's back in the shop now. Ford sent a field engineer to check it out so she rode with me and the dealership's diesel and transmission techs. The truck did the same thing with the shift flares and lurching but it didn't die like it did the other night. Because we couldn't "reproduce" the same issue I had the other night, nothing was done and the engineer, Ford, and the techs are saying that these shift flares, lurching, etc. are all just characteristics of this transmission.

They had the laptop hooked up the the truck throughout the time we were driving it which lasted about 25 miles and about an hour's time. They said the truck didn't throw any codes nor did it have any codes stored.

The Customer Service Rep form Ford told me today that since these are normal characteristics of this transmission, the Engineering Hotline has declined to authorize any more work on it. The truck has 10,732 miles on it and besides the 3/36 warranty, it's also got the 72/100K Premium Care ESP.

The only thing I know to do at this point is drive it until it breaks and/or lays down. I do know I won't let my wife drive it because I'd rather not have to worry about her breaking down and being stranded.

As things stand now, if they don't do something, I see a Ram or GM in my future.
2011 F-350 4x4 Lariat Ultimate, Oxford White / Pale Adobe 6.7L PSD 3.55 ELD / Gone but not forgotten.
Moderators, Guidelines, and How They are Enforced / FTE Forum Guidelines

RIP Steve (Bricks) Price........Godspeed my good friend. RIP Paul / Hdslider.....you are truly missed.

Last edited by powerstroke72; 02-08-2013 at 02:28 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:26 PM