1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Talk me out of buying one...

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 08:54 AM
hjl
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talk me out of buying one...

Great forum you have here, I've spent the last few days lost in some of the threads. This is my first post.

I'm hoping for some good news with my tax return, and have preliminary approval from my wife to buy a third car. We have kids, so both our everyday cars need to hold a bunch of the full size (infant and toddler) seats. The third car will be a truck, and I prefer a regular cab with a long bed, so this will just be for me.

Anyway, I have always had my heart set on a F250. My budget is not unlimited, but looking on Craigslist and Autotrader it looks like I can afford a decent used truck. I've noticed model years 1999 through about 2006 in my price range.

The thing is, I don't NEED a F250, for my uses I could get by with a F150. I won't be towing anything on a regular basis, maybe occasionally some jetskis, etc., I'll probably just drive it to Lowes on the weekend and put some mulch and an old 2x4 in the back to make me feel like a man. I'm up to my eyeballs in Barbie Dolls and My Little Pony, I feel like I need something masculine around the house or I might not make it.

So there it is, talk me out of it, tell me I'm a dummy. If you can't talk me out of it, tell me what to watch out for when I'm looking at used trucks.

Any common problems that I should be able to spot?
Any years / models known to be more reliable?
Gas vs. Diesel? <- Not trying to start a flamewar.

I'm not a mechanic, and the last time I picked up a used car I paid a local dealership to do a 'used car evaluation' for $90, it was worth it for my peace of mind, so I'll probably do the same again.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:58 AM
rollerstud98
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
For what you want to use the truck for, gas will be your best bet. Don't talk yourself out of it!

Old 04-02-2012, 09:06 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I had a 2006 F150 Crewcab 4.6l, and I gotta tell you.. for the requirements you listed, it would have been a killer vehicle. I was/am amazed at the interior cab space, storage, etc..

I put a soft cover on the bed, and this lets you keep stuff there all the time and dry, but use it as carry space whenever you need.

now that I tow an enclosed trailer for my custom cars, I needed more wheelbase to minimize sway, and increase towing safety and stepped up to a Superduty. The F150 could have done it, but mileage would have been poor towing that 7000lb, flat front breadbox.

Sam

Old 04-02-2012, 09:46 AM
kd0axs
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Nope, not gonna talk you out of it.

I could get by with an F-150 too, but the SD is soooo much more truck. I actually paid less for my F-350 than most of the F-150s I looked at anyway.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:13 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
for your uses, agree an f-150 would do it...

(but get the raptor version )

mpg and handling will be better for you....

Old 04-02-2012, 10:16 AM
onug
Postmaster
No way I'll talk you out of it.

If you're not hauling heavy loads or driving the truck frequently, don't spend the money on a diesel. If you're for awesomeness, get a V10. More info can be found in the V10 engine forum farther down the website.

Save some money for mods. Once you own the truck, you'll want to customize it...trust me (and probably 90% of the guys here)

Old 04-02-2012, 10:23 AM
PA-Mark
Posting Guru

definately get the gas. 5.4 is fine V-10 if you need that manly feeling. Diesels are labor intensive, and maintenance costly. last service for me was $220 for oil and filter, and fuel filters. This can be done cheaper if done at home, but It was not feesable at the time, next one will be at home but that is still about half that cost. The Gas engines in your range of years also have problems, but nothing to scary... mostly Plugs breaking, COP's and GEM module's. Oh and if you get a 4wd, dont start another "my ESOF wont work" thread, UGGGGG!

Welcome to the sickness

Old 04-02-2012, 10:29 AM
shaneinga
Elder User
Just get one. Get a 4x4 and throw some 33s on it, they fit without rubbing in stock configuration. Diesel is more expensive to change the oil on, and the cost of fuel is higher as well.

You might want to "accidentally" get the wife's car stuck and pull it out with the 250, just to feel a little more Tim Taylorish as you go around huffing about how manly that just was.

Man card reinstated, now go find a beer and a hammer to hit something with!

Old 04-02-2012, 10:48 AM
Sterling Archer
Elder User

I had the same question that you did. I wanted a F-250 with the 7.3 PSD for years. I went with a '01 F-150 instead. Like you...I have kids. Other than the occasional job (I had 2,040 lbs of gravel in the bed last week), the truck is a daily driver that totes the kids to and from daycare.

Many good points (i.e. maintenance costs) are brought up in this thread. Look at the vehicles owned by many of the posters who said "don't get a F-250/diesel"... they own F-250's / 7.3 PSD. At the end of the day...a diesel would be cool for the average Joe (i.e. me), but it just isn't practical or economical.

For me... an ~'01 F-150 (loaded) was basically the same price as a ~'01 F-250 7.3. The issue came down to ergonomics (I didn't like the ride/feel of the F-250) and maintenance costs. I just don't have the time to work on my own vehicles anymore. Spending time with the kids > wasting my weekends and nights in the garage.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...0-w-5-4-a.html

I'm up to my eyeballs in Barbie Dolls and My Little Pony, I feel like I need something masculine around the house or I might not make it.
I feel your pain. I LOVE my truck. I'm 6'4" and this truck fits me like a glove. The interior has room to spare. The only downside is the typical truck/$h1t fuel economy. You might be able to get by with an extended cab, but my advice would be to go for a crew cab (easy to get the kids in and out of the toddler seats).

Old 04-02-2012, 11:15 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
the superdutys are meant to be worked.. they aren't really the daily drive type vehicle..

diesel especially. oil change is high with 15qts to change. I just had to have the radiator hoses changed, and at $650 I think everything must be made of gold.
I just had a power steering hose fail (internally), which ruined the pump.. thank god for the extended warranty.. $1600 for hoses, pump, belt.. again. must be made of gold.. still, cost me $400, cause the warranty doesn't cover hoses of ANY kind.. (hoses at $400!)..
just don't be surprised..

the gas Superdutys seem to have less mileage (well, these are almost 8000lb trucks after all) than a similar sized F150..

You will enjoy either vehicle immensely!..

Sam

Old 04-02-2012, 12:59 PM
hjl
New User
Thanks for all the replies, you guys have kind of told me what I was already thinking. I just need to finish the conversation I'm having with myself:

Heart: Get the F250, mount a machine gun in the bed.
Gut: Get the F150, you live in the suburbs and work in an office.
Brain: You don't need a truck, put it towards the mortgage.

Right now the heart is winning. I haven't listened to my brain in 39 years, I'm not going to start now. I've got a few weeks before I can go shopping, and what I get will have a lot to do with what's available. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like a lot of people share my taste in regular cabs.

Sounds like gas is the way to go for me. Plugs and a bad module or two I can afford. What's this ESOF thingy? Is that the push-button 4WD? I live in 'The Snow Belt', I would hate to have to get out of the truck to manually lock the hubs every time I need 4WD. The kids aren't big enough yet to do it for me, and the dog doesn't have opposable thumbs.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:21 PM
_red rocket_
Senior User
Originally Posted by hjl
...Unfortunately, it doesn't look like a lot of people share my taste in regular cabs....
That just seems to be the industry, outside of fleet.

Regular cabs may be harder to come by but will probably be harder on resale too. Just something to consider.

You never know, you may end up having an interest in purchasing a RV as your family gets older and it certainly would be an advantage to already having the 3/4 ton with space for the family.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:23 PM
kd0axs
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
ESOF = Electronic Shift On the Fly

With ESOF you have a switch on the dash to engage 4wd. The hubs are operated by vacuum and lock automatically when you engage 4wd. The hubs do also have the option of locking manually in case the vacuum lock system fails. If you look at them, they look like manual hubs, but the positions are "AUTO" and "LOCK".

The manual 4wd system has a shift lever on the floor and regular manual locking hubs.

Old 04-02-2012, 02:29 PM
Dim Sum
Cargo Master
Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
If your budget allows, buy a crew cab.

Trucks are like gateway drugs (think weed). Once you have a truck, a whole lot more hobbies become readility available and easy to do as the truck is required. Camping, boats, jet skis, atvs, motorcylces,....etc...you name it, the truck allows you to do all of those things and my guess is you will want to involve the family.

Buy the crew cab. There are more of them and you can use it to haul the family if you want to. That regular cab is crap for hauling 4 people.

Buy gas. I love my diesel, but the love of the diesel is why I pay more for it. For you, a gas engine is perfectly fine.

Honestly, a good 1/2 ton sounds like what you need. Look at the F-150 and also look at the Toyota Tundra. That truck is very powerful and a good hauling truck if you can get the 5.7L. I know guys here will hate on it...but very few of them actually owned one and there's no way I'd own a 5.4 over that 5.7.

If you want the F-250, then just be aware that their fuel economy is going to be less and you will generally have more expensive maintenance. That being said, an F-250 will do just about anything you want to do (except pass a gas station).

Good luck with the search. Any trucks you find...list them here and I'm sure people will give you the ups / downs of that particular used truck.

Old 04-02-2012, 03:30 PM
Kajtek1
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
YOU DON'T NEED A TRUCK!
I run small construction business and for years I have been using utility trailer behind wagon for all my needs. That was in times when Home Depot did not have those trucks that you can rent for $19, so eventually I bought a flatbed pickup , that for years was making less than 2000 miles a year. That alone would not make economical sense, but on my SuperDuty I made an INVESTMENT. After using it for 5 years I am putting it for sale and I plan to cash at least 10% more than I paid for it. I keep the truck in top condition and it is exceptional good 7.3l engine, so I sleep well.
Than you can have more options, like minivans, crossovers and more.
Lastly, with all the opinions you can find on this forum, nobody objected the fact that for garage queen V10 or other gasser is perfect truck

Quick Reply: Talk me out of buying one...