Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > 2011 & Newer Explorer
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2011 & Newer Explorer Discuss the all new redesigned Ford Explorer

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-04-2012, 08:23 PM
Senior User

motown is starting off with a positive reputation.
Change Oil Soon, Message

My new to me 2011 Explorer is displaying Change oil soon message. I looked in the owners manual to find out how the system works. But their is nothing in the manual. Does anybody know how the system works. Is it by miles, or some sort of sensor?
Old 04-15-2012, 09:34 PM
New User

Green69 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Oil change message

The system will monitor the need to change your oil primarily by mileage but will also take into consideration climate, driving speeds, idling and speeds you drive.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:56 PM
Junior User

BigBadBob is starting off with a positive reputation.
Under normal driving conditions, I believe you can go as far as 10,000 miles before you need to change the oil. Look at the manual. My 2012 Explorer currently has 5,400 miles and light has not turned on.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:26 AM
Posting Guru

critterf1 has a good reputation on FTE.critterf1 has a good reputation on FTE.critterf1 has a good reputation on FTE.
I don't trust those "gadgets".
Old 06-16-2012, 12:13 AM
Super Moderator

powerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by motown View Post
My new to me 2011 Explorer is displaying Change oil soon message. I looked in the owners manual to find out how the system works. But their is nothing in the manual. Does anybody know how the system works. Is it by miles, or some sort of sensor?
Here's a pretty good article from Edmund's / Inside Line on the Oil Life Monitor and how it works / what it monitors:

2012 Ford Explorer XLT EcoBoost: Oil Change Interval

This is for the 2012 models but I think it's the same for the '11 models as well.
2011 F-350 4x4 Lariat Ultimate, Oxford White / Pale Adobe 6.7L PSD 3.55 ELD / Gone but not forgotten.
Moderators, Guidelines, and How They are Enforced / FTE Forum Guidelines

RIP Steve (Bricks) Price........Godspeed my good friend. RIP Paul / Hdslider.....you are truly missed.
Old 06-18-2012, 12:12 PM
Junior User

BigBadBob is starting off with a positive reputation.
Is anyone here going to follow the oil life monitor's recommendation or will you be monitoring the oil the old fashion way? The service advisor I spoke to at my local dealership said it was up to me if I want base my oil changes by what the computer tells me, but then he told me I have a huge investment on my hands (sounds like he tried to warn me). My Explorer has approximately 6200 miles now. Oil life is down to 39%, so it's getting there. I read the Edmunds article which clearly implies that you really can't go wrong with the intelligent oil life monitor. What do you guys think?
Old 06-21-2012, 06:31 AM

tseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadBob View Post
Is anyone here going to follow the oil life monitor's recommendation or will you be monitoring the oil the old fashion way? The service advisor I spoke to at my local dealership said it was up to me if I want base my oil changes by what the computer tells me, but then he told me I have a huge investment on my hands (sounds like he tried to warn me). My Explorer has approximately 6200 miles now. Oil life is down to 39%, so it's getting there. I read the Edmunds article which clearly implies that you really can't go wrong with the intelligent oil life monitor. What do you guys think?
My dealer told me the same thing on my truck. He recommended 5K oil changes at the dealer of course. I've settled into a 7500 mile oil change interval on mine.
2010 Ford Focus
2004 Expedition XLT 4x2

FTE Guidelines
Old 06-21-2012, 06:25 PM
So Little To Say!!!

BIGKEN has a superb reputationBIGKEN has a superb reputationBIGKEN has a superb reputationBIGKEN has a superb reputationBIGKEN has a superb reputationBIGKEN has a superb reputationBIGKEN has a superb reputationBIGKEN has a superb reputationBIGKEN has a superb reputationBIGKEN has a superb reputationBIGKEN has a superb reputation
When considering when to change the oil...remember this advisory from Ford.

"Failure to perform scheduled maintenance as specified in the Service Guide may result in voiding the New Vehicle Limited Warranty"

My family's gene pool could use some chlorine!!!
Old 06-21-2012, 06:34 PM

tseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGKEN View Post
When considering when to change the oil...remember this advisory from Ford.

"Failure to perform scheduled maintenance as specified in the Service Guide may result in voiding the New Vehicle Limited Warranty"
Some of these new car schedules are a little ambiguous though. For instance, the 2011 F-150's can go up to 10K miles between changes.

Then for severe duty there is another schedule and then if the oil change reminder in the dash fails, default back to 5K mile oil changes. Now t his may seem like it's all explained clearly BUT, if an "in warranty" oil related engine failure should occur, Ford just might deny the claim.
2010 Ford Focus
2004 Expedition XLT 4x2

FTE Guidelines
Old 06-21-2012, 06:37 PM
So Little To Say!!!

BIGKEN has a superb reputationBIGKEN has a superb reputationBIGKEN has a superb reputationBIGKEN has a superb reputationBIGKEN has a superb reputationBIGKEN has a superb reputationBIGKEN has a superb reputationBIGKEN has a superb reputationBIGKEN has a superb reputationBIGKEN has a superb reputationBIGKEN has a superb reputation
That's correct Tim...the language is designed to let Ford off the hook in case of an oil related failure. The monitors are an important part of this strategy.

I've always been of the school that over maintains rather that under maintains. Think of how much money you could lose for want of a $35 oil change.

My family's gene pool could use some chlorine!!!
Old 06-21-2012, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGKEN View Post
That's correct Tim...the language is designed to let Ford off the hook in case of an oil related failure. The monitors are an important part of this strategy.

I've always been of the school that over maintains rather that under maintains. Think of how much money you could lose for want of a $35 oil change.
Ken, I completely agree with you and that's why I'm proceeding on the side of caution. I intend to have my dealer do all of my F-150 oil changes as the 3.5L is fairly new to the stable. I'm not a man of wealth, patience or political correctness. If this comes apart on me, Ford is paying, period.
2010 Ford Focus
2004 Expedition XLT 4x2

FTE Guidelines
Old 06-21-2012, 06:48 PM