Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Truck on the flatbed

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 06:22 AM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Received 2,483 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Truck on the flatbed

Well there was a small ticking sound and didn't think much about it, sounded like a lifter on the passenger side real faint. Later in the afternoon something let go in the engine and had it put on the flatbed. Could hear something pop and then the engine was just running rough.Made it into the 1st rest area of WI from IL. I should hear from the Ford dealer this morning what it might be hoping for the best but expecting some bad news. Nothing worse than being far from the house (1000 miles) and not near a trusted mechanic. Not that I don't trust the Ford mechanics but the dealership make money in repairs.

188,687 miles on the odometer, hate seeing the old girl on the flatbed wounded. If it had to happen better now than when the 5th wheel was behind it.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:49 AM
MDSuperDuty
Cargo Master
Received 49 Likes on 17 Posts
Hoping for the best for you! Nothing worse than being far from home and needing repairs.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:40 AM
Ironhand03
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you need any help let me know. Im not that far away and I will be heading that way this weekend as well.

Old 04-04-2012, 03:32 PM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Got the verdict back from Ford and the #1 intake valve broke and dropped into the engine. For a reman engine $5500 14.5 Hrs labor ball park figure $8000. I'll have to think about this for a few and figure what other options I might have.

Ironhand03 Pm sent you maybe you know someone around the area that can offer another option with a low mileage engine.

Old 04-04-2012, 03:44 PM
blackx psd
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry to hear, 14.5 seems like a lot of hours to replace. Marshall engines has a remanufactured long block motor for $3800 with a decent warranty. That really blows.

Old 04-04-2012, 05:41 PM
scraprat
Lead Driver
I'm going to bite the bullet and have Ford do it, They ordered it a little while ago and will be there tomorrow and have the truck engines swapped and finished by late Friday. I'll be flying home for the weekend so told them I'll be there on Monday to pick it up.

The Ford Reman engine will have new plugs, oil, filter, oil pan obviously, water pump, thermostat, all the gaskets needed for the few items swapped from the old engine some kits with bolts. It will have 3 years unlimited mile warranty on the engine.

14.5 hours is what the book claims for the repair I certainly can't do it and I need the truck. With that warranty I know at least if it is needed there are Ford dealerships all over the states.

On the bright side this is the reason that I always by a gas truck for the quick turn around time to be up and running again. When I first called the Dealership and was talking with the service person he said our diesel guy is off for the rest of the week and there is one in front of you, after telling him it was a V10 oh no problem we can get to it right away.

And I was thinking of giving it to the wife after summer and buy a new F150 but I guess another year I'll be driving it. Maybe next summer I'll start looking at 150s.

Old 04-04-2012, 05:58 PM
MDSuperDuty
Cargo Master
Received 49 Likes on 17 Posts
Good to hear you'll be up and running again. But wow that puts into perspective what it costs to put in a new motor! Don't let the diesel guys get this info, they'll baste all us V10 guys ;-). Have a safe trip back!

Old 04-04-2012, 06:35 PM
scraprat
Lead Driver
I can't imagine why it happened seeing that oil changes and preventive maintenance is always being done on time but sheet happens. I believe this is not the norm for the V10 and if I would have put it in the shop earlier I certainly wouldn't have had this happen.

I have to go tomorrow and get something from the truck and will see how many hours are on the engine, as of Jan 1 of this year there was 4331 hours. Hey new engine maybe my MPG will go up we'll see.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:49 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Talk about a crappy trip.

I guess you can look on the bright side that if you had the 6.4l and this happened your bill would be double at least. The $8k sounds like a little much for what it is but at least you should get quite a few more years of service out of it yet. As for what caused the valve to fail, whos knows sometimes things just happen. I would think a faulty valve would have shown up long before now.

Stay safe.

Old 04-05-2012, 04:24 AM
scraprat
Lead Driver
dfk, I agree with you. I believe that if it where a DSL turn around time would not be 3 days total from break down to having the truck back, from some of the threads that we read on the forum turn around time for the DSL would be a lot longer and mainly because there aren't enough DSL tech's out there.

In the big picture of life this is just a small bump in the road. If this is my biggest problem this year I'm doing alright compared to other folks struggling to make ends meat.

I was going to try and put a low mile used engine in but prices where from $3500-$5000 (30k-100K miles on them)for just the engine and for that price might as well spend a little more and have a warranty.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:25 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
Yeah, we don't exactly hear a lot about broken valves in the Ford modulars...

Good luck with the "new" motor, keep us informed as to how it goes

Old 04-05-2012, 07:36 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
You know I thought about this thread last night. Could possible have been the primer of the issue.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...r-tapping.html

Old 04-05-2012, 08:08 PM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by dkf
You know I thought about this thread last night. Could possible have been the primer of the issue.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...r-tapping.html
I went and read the thread and JL was on to something with the sound of the engine. I also have a '05' 5.4 it has 230K miles on it and they tend to get nosier I guess you can call it.

The V10 was the same way as it was getting a little nosier but I chalked that up to hours on the engine parts get a little looser you can say. But I think I got complacent to the noise because of the other truck but as I think about it maybe it's been a month ago that I started hearing this and I had something in the back of my mind thinking about it but didn't act on on it. In a month 4-5000 miles isn't out of the norm for me to put on it and with that I check fuel consumption to see if it drops or raises and the mileage was actually getting better where I was averaging 11.7 mpg up from 11+/- 1/10. Hind sight as it is, only if....

Old 04-06-2012, 07:36 AM
rvpuller
Received 431 Likes on 282 Posts
Originally Posted by blackx psd
Sorry to hear, 14.5 seems like a lot of hours to replace. Marshall engines has a remanufactured long block motor for $3800 with a decent warranty. That really blows.
This would be the last place I would buy a remanufactured motor been there done that , didn't have time to do it myself becasue it was my work truck an I needed it big mistake.

Denny

Old 04-06-2012, 12:42 PM
cbzdel
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just thinking about that, I have an 2005 I just bought, got the cheapest truck I could find with under 75k on it.. I wanted the cheapest payments as possible as well due to a rocky job.. So i still owe like 12k on the truck, no warranty.. If I got a $8k bill to fix the engine I dont know what I would do! Best of luck with the new engine!

Quick Reply: Truck on the flatbed