2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time for an overhaul of the brake system: need advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 10:59 AM
GwarForAll1021
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Time for an overhaul of the brake system: need advice

As stated I am overhauling the entire brake system of my 2007 FX4. I'm going to assume all rotors will have to be replaced and I'm going with ceramic pads.
Here's where I need some help. I have a few problems to adress.

1. Squishy brake petal. I have herd of some home remidys including bending the brake rod? Seems scary to me. Anybody know of some legit ways to make the petal feel like it's a bet more solid?

2. ABS, I do a lot of offroad driving due to work and hunting. Unless I'm crawling along I have issues with the abs being too tender and it causes some hair raising moments when I hit the brakes and get nothing but abs tremor and no actual stopping. Anybody know how to help this? I'm sure there has to be something due to the raptor and it's offroad abilitys. I'd also assume anybody who drives in the snow would have the same issues.

3. Stopping power. Between my 33 inch tires and my 18 foot trailer it seems I could use a bit more power. My brakes have yet to fail me or even get me close but if somebody goes to really screwing up I'd like to be able to have the best chances possible.

Any advice would be beyond helpful. Thanks for reading and thanks for your help.

Old 04-03-2012, 02:05 PM
pdqford
Logistics Pro
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by GwarForAll1021
1. Squishy brake petal.
Air in the lines. Bleed the brakes. And flush the brake fluid if it hasn't been done within the last 2 years

2. ABS,..........
when I hit the brakes and get nothing but abs tremor and no actual stopping. Anybody know how to help this?
Check very carefully for a worn front wheel bearing. (If the bearing allows the tonal ring to get off center the ABS will think the wheel is not rotating and engage the ABS.)

3. Stopping power. Between my 33 inch tires and my 18 foot trailer
Large diameter tires (i.e, large radius) gives the wheel more leverage to keep the rotor rotating when you want it to stop. (Think of a breaker bar with a pipe added for more leverage.) A smaller radius wheel/tire will increase your breaking power.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:26 PM
Rudeman
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As stated I am overhauling the entire brake system of my 2007 FX4. I'm going to assume all rotors will have to be replaced and I'm going with ceramic pads.
Here's where I need some help. I have a few problems to adress.

1. Squishy brake petal. I have herd of some home remidys including bending the brake rod? Seems scary to me. Anybody know of some legit ways to make the petal feel like it's a bet more solid?
Make sure there is no air in the system. Also, the lines are 5 years old. I would replace them with at least OEM quality units or if you really want to improve feel you could go with braided lines. Braided lines will last forever and will provide added protection when you go off-road. The performance benefit is better response and a slight increase in fluid pressure.

2. ABS, I do a lot of offroad driving due to work and hunting. Unless I'm crawling along I have issues with the abs being too tender and it causes some hair raising moments when I hit the brakes and get nothing but abs tremor and no actual stopping. Anybody know how to help this? I'm sure there has to be something due to the raptor and it's offroad abilitys. I'd also assume anybody who drives in the snow would have the same issues.
That's a tough one. Any time your tires are in contact with different types of surfaces with varying friction properties you're going to have trouble with ABS. I would keep it out of overdrive to use some engine braking and when braking I would pump the brakes when ABS acts up.

3. Stopping power. Between my 33 inch tires and my 18 foot trailer it seems I could use a bit more power. My brakes have yet to fail me or even get me close but if somebody goes to really screwing up I'd like to be able to have the best chances possible.
After you make the improvements you should reassess the braking performance while towing said trailer. You may want to use high performance rotors and maybe some upgraded calipers too.

When towing my bass boat my braking actually improves because my trailer has disc brakes. For about $300-$500 you can equip your trailer with brakes. One really cool thing about the coupler actuated system is that when you coast the trailer will not push you and the tendency to come around on you while rolling downhill is reduced.

Smaller tires on your truck will help but you're probably not going to do that.

Good luck.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:05 AM
TonyBaggett
New User
I need to know for 1997 F150 4WD ; in process of replacing brake lines - need to know where they connect to the ABS pump - what lines connect where on the ABS pump? Tony

Old 05-15-2012, 10:55 AM
bigunit54
Elder User
welcome to FTE,
There are different forums on here and you are in the 2004-2008 forum. Go to the 97-2003 forum and start a new thread and ask your question, I am sure the guys in the that forum will help you.