1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

72 crew cab long bed cummins

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 03:43 PM
highntight
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Jeff,

Well two days ago I would have agreed with you lol.... But Now Having messed with that one stupid window for 3 days I dont think its the weight that whooping me. I can adjust it ether go down smooth and up rough or up smooth and down rough. Cant seem to find that perfect medium. I cant win at the moment so I walked away again and will go back to it in a min... But I will get it for sure. As for the piece I tried to stay as small as possible but had a little somethin to it... I been cutting it out of some grating I had laying around. Some old beat up 1/8th inch stuff... Stupid window anyways lol

Old 03-27-2015, 04:08 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Received 169 Likes on 149 Posts
Sounds like a "angle of the dangle" kinda thing. Something needs to be longer or shorter for leverage? Is the coiled spring still in your regulator? New window felt rubber?

Old 03-27-2015, 04:39 PM
highntight
Elder User
HAHAHAHA you just made my day lol... Your definitely on the right track... These are aftermarket window regulators that work with all flat glass 6" to 24" except for 72 crew cab long bed cummins pasenger side rear doors lol They forgot to put that last part on the label though. I have put all new rubbers, guides, and every-stuff in the doors. But with as funny as what you said is, It is something to angle and where it is placed. Its just a matter of finding that sweet spot at this point I think....

Old 03-27-2015, 05:17 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Originally Posted by highntight
HAHAHAHA you just made my day lol... Your definitely on the right track... These are aftermarket window regulators that work with all flat glass 6" to 24" except for 72 crew cab long bed cummins pasenger side rear doors lol They forgot to put that last part on the label though. I have put all new rubbers, guides, and every-stuff in the doors. But with as funny as what you said is, It is something to angle and where it is placed. Its just a matter of finding that sweet spot at this point I think....
To quote Mel brooks again...."It's Good To Be The King!".
Aftermarket aaay? If it's the kind that has a window lift bracket that has slides that grab the sides of the vertical track lube it there with something like white lithium grease. Also try knocking something slightly out of alignment. Like driveshafts aren't perfectly in line. Kicking the bottom of that track a skosh for or aft?

Old 03-27-2015, 05:36 PM
Randle
Fleet Mechanic
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by highntight
Man I can feel your pain, I tried a set advertised as flat window and fought them for about a week before I boxed them up and bought another type. I hope you have better luck then I did.

Old 04-03-2015, 09:27 AM
highntight
Elder User
Originally Posted by Randle
Man I can feel your pain, I tried a set advertised as flat window and fought them for about a week before I boxed them up and bought another type. I hope you have better luck then I did.
Randle,

What type did you go with with? If you dont mind me askin...

Old 04-03-2015, 09:36 AM
highntight
Elder User
I did finally get my window switches done. There was no way I was paying 100 bucks a switch so I ordered 25 amp micro switches 10 for 30 bucks and 55 to 60 ford window crank replacements 4 for 60 bucks. They are the correct gear to fit my stock window cranks, Just had to drill and tap them for screws that hold the handle tight... Any ways 90 bucks and some help from a family member thats a machinest... Thank god for him, cause this truck would never have been done without his help. here ya go. 4 window switches.

Name:  IMAG1502_zpsg1bcb4xc.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  228.7 KB

Name:  IMAG1503_zpsfqa0ogcx.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  256.1 KB

Name:  IMAG1504_zpsbvrqh1z0.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  171.2 KB

Name:  IMAG1505_zpsakne8muc.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  227.3 KB

Name:  IMAG1506_zpszwc8pchi.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  286.5 KB

Name:  IMAG1507_zpskd5hci65.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  278.5 KB

Old 04-03-2015, 09:58 AM
Randle
Fleet Mechanic
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I used Spal and they worked like a top.
Those switchs really look nice!

Old 04-03-2015, 07:17 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
There you go. Just goes to prove, Sometimes Simplicity is a Beautiful Thing. I like 'em. Put some hard stops on them though. Just in case someone thinks they are manual windows and moves the handle too rough.

Old 04-06-2015, 09:48 AM
highntight
Elder User
Originally Posted by Randle
I used Spal and they worked like a top.
Those switchs really look nice!
Thank you... I Like the spal brand, I ordered there door lock actuators.

Originally Posted by JEFFFAFA
There you go. Just goes to prove, Sometimes Simplicity is a Beautiful Thing. I like 'em. Put some hard stops on them though. Just in case someone thinks they are manual windows and moves the handle too rough.
Ya they turned out pretty good, thats what the inner 4 holes are for is for role pins to act as stops for just such an occasion. I also thought about drilling out the gear splines on the window handle it self, that way it would just spin semi free if to much toque was applied... Ill get it together and see how it feels.

Thanks guys....

Old 04-06-2015, 11:31 AM
Gembone
Logistics Pro
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
once you get everything worked out, how long will it be before we can start placing orders?

Old 04-06-2015, 02:05 PM
highntight
Elder User
Gembone,

Thanks for the vote of confidence... If I was set up to do my own machining Ide be all over that offer... But a waterjet is just out of my budget at the moment. haha Maybe in the future though for sure... It could really be done with a small jig and little cheap lathe.

Old 04-14-2015, 09:44 PM
Trucker_Jo
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I guess I better stop creepin' and make a profile, i've been lurking for quite a while haha. I have to say this is one of the sexier things i've ever seen...Maybe after I get out of college I can stop drooling and start building! I have a 96 tacoma I want to do a 4bt and SAS treatment to as well, but a full size truck is more practical me thinks, and two truck projects is something I probably shouldn't do.. I have fallen in love with the 67-79 crews and have dreamt of pretty much what you have created. Whatever you do don't delete the pics, someday I might need a little help Keep it up, you sir have something great here

Old 04-15-2015, 09:58 AM
highntight
Elder User
Originally Posted by Trucker_Jo
Well I guess I better stop creepin' and make a profile, i've been lurking for quite a while haha. I have to say this is one of the sexier things i've ever seen...Maybe after I get out of college I can stop drooling and start building! I have a 96 tacoma I want to do a 4bt and SAS treatment to as well, but a full size truck is more practical me thinks, and two truck projects is something I probably shouldn't do.. I have fallen in love with the 67-79 crews and have dreamt of pretty much what you have created. Whatever you do don't delete the pics, someday I might need a little help Keep it up, you sir have something great here
Thanks ya sir.... All it takes is a little time, little effort, an to much money. Sounds like your on the correct path though. I wont be deleting any of the build thread, Hope it helps when you get around to it. Good luck, You can always be looking for a project truck in the mean time. There getting harder to find. But dont run out and buy the first one you find. There still out there hiding in most back yards sometimes right under your nose.

Old 04-15-2015, 10:01 AM
highntight
Elder User
A couple pics of the gauge cluster... Its tore back down again for a little flatter paint job.

Name:  IMAG1519_zpstfbqarwy.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  200.1 KB

Name:  IMAG1520_zpsytmixxcw.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  209.2 KB

Name:  IMAG1522_zpsqvmfbnq5.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  189.7 KB

Name:  IMAG1523_zpscmyomtuu.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  213.4 KB