1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

72 crew cab long bed cummins

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 10:47 PM
hivewax
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is that tubular shock/UCA mount rigid enough to handle the forces? It looks like it needs a connection from the top of the tubular back down to the frame rail.

Old 03-24-2014, 11:57 PM
crazed87bronco
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by hivewax
Is that tubular shock/UCA mount rigid enough to handle the forces? It looks like it needs a connection from the top of the tubular back down to the frame rail.
His shock hoops should be plenty strong enough. I actually just got the same exact hoops the other day in the mail for mine if he was running coil overs then I can see the need for extra attachment at the frame also a crossover. Good to see you made it through the winter. Your thread was as froze as this winter we had haha. Nice weathers ahead. You shouldn't have much but electrical and the clip to get it to fire up ain't? What are you doing for wiring? I'm leaning towards a universal aftermarket with a lot of circuits available to tap things into. So I'm looking for others that can give me feedback.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:00 AM
highntight
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by smitty3215
Looks better than mine lol I just got back from a hunting trip and climbed in mine and started it kinda got me rejuvenated.
Smitty

So you have been slackin to huh.... Well Im glad to here it wasnt just me

Oh man I cant for the day I get to turn the key and listen to this thing trying to rattle out of the frame... Thats gonna be a proud day...

mR T Wright

Hows that truck of yours comming. Buy the Looks of it the other day Im just gonna use it to pull the trailer around.... I like the black, makes that thing look tuff... And I guess since its your truck and everything you guys can come too... lol

Old 03-25-2014, 09:18 AM
twright
New User
It would be coming along better if the boss would let me spend the money, but isn't that everybody's story. I got the seats in yesterday, now I just need to figure out how to mount the belts, paint the interior and buy a new rug. After that it's lift and tires and on to the motor. I figure by that time I should have her for sale because that seems to be the way I do things.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:19 AM
highntight
Elder User
Originally Posted by crazed87bronco
His shock hoops should be plenty strong enough. I actually just got the same exact hoops the other day in the mail for mine if he was running coil overs then I can see the need for extra attachment at the frame also a crossover. Good to see you made it through the winter. Your thread was as froze as this winter we had haha. Nice weathers ahead. You shouldn't have much but electrical and the clip to get it to fire up ain't? What are you doing for wiring? I'm leaning towards a universal aftermarket with a lot of circuits available to tap things into. So I'm looking for others that can give me feedback.

Hivewax Thats a good question And Im pretty sure crazed hit it right on the head... Specially for me where the only crawling ill be doin in this truck is the mall lol I did think about it and figured if it ever showed sighn of stress I could go over the top on the engine and tie them together....

Crazed....

Haha FROZEN it was thanks for pointing that out
I didnt want to do those shackles a third time and every time I thought I had it I talk my self out of it and just get frustrated and walk away. But all said and done I got that b..... now. Funny you say that about wiring. I just bought the biggest one speedway offered and was playing with it last night. I was originally planning on just building my own Because of the cost but found the speedway brand and its quiet a bit cheaper then the comp. Spread it all out on the floor last night and im very impressed with the quality for the money and it also comes with a lot of stuff relays, switches (Headlight), fuses, connectors, all sorts of stuff.... Having said that Im not afraid of wiring, Im not the best by any means but looking at all the stuff that come with this was a little over wellming. But every single wire is labeled and printed into the coating the entire length of the wire, and I think if I just do one thing at a time like everything else it shouldn't be to terrible... Ill let you know how it goes....

What do you think about the pinion angle being 3 to 4 degrees off of center?
Think Ill have major bump steer or steering issues or you think Ill be fine?

Old 03-25-2014, 09:26 AM
highntight
Elder User
Originally Posted by twright
It would be coming along better if the boss would let me spend the money, but isn't that everybody's story. I got the seats in yesterday, now I just need to figure out how to mount the belts, paint the interior and buy a new rug. After that it's lift and tires and on to the motor. I figure by that time I should have her for sale because that seems to be the way I do things.
Trev,

Haha ya thats been your style.... I almost had all the trucks you have owned counted but then I ran out of fingers and couldnt get my boots off....

How did the seats turn out... And I think you have hit it on the head with the seat belts thats a good idea and will hold most anything.

I think this truck you got your self now is a keeper.... I like it... If you decide to sell now you better give your sis first dibbs.....

Old 03-25-2014, 09:59 AM
twright
New User
If I was smart I would keep it, but smart isn't something I get called very often. I can't seem to get it out of my head that I need to go out and buy another new one. The seats turned out pretty good I think, I need to come see yours and do a little comparison. I didn't end up getting leather like I wanted, but for $175 I couldn't pass these ones up.

Old 03-28-2014, 12:47 PM
highntight
Elder User
No not for that price i think i paid 600 for the set.... good buy.... dont sell it you will regret it... but amy was just saying how she wanted it lol.....

Old 03-28-2014, 10:47 PM
crazed87bronco
Logistics Pro
I'd like to see how that harness works out for you. I think that will be my best route as half my wiring has been hacked. I'll have to start looking into them soon oh can't wait. For your pinion angle being 3 to 4 degrees where did you measure at? Is that where your caster is at? Shouldn't be to bad for bump steer only way is to try it. Ideal number your looking for is 6-8 degrees camber I think for a modified suspension. If it feels funny can try going back to moving the mounts or play with shackle length.

Old 03-31-2014, 10:08 AM
highntight
Elder User
Crazed,

Ya Im excited to get moving again. The more and more I lay that harness out on the floor next to the old one and move switches and plugs out the more ive wrapped my head around it. As long as I take it one step at a time the easier it seems to me so Im excited to get it in... Had a body and paint friend come by the shop this weekend and line me all out. And from talking to him Im getting more and more excited. He has changed plans for me once again... He convinced me to paint the cab now... And then put it together At least the inside... So I spent the weekend preping and making sure everything is finished a couple weeks and Ill have the interior in paint...

As for the Angle I went off the Spring perches off the axle next to the alignment pins... Is there a better place ?

Old 04-07-2014, 11:16 AM
highntight
Elder User
Name:  IMAG0126_zpsha10e2m3.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  90.4 KB

got the holes in the cab and fire wall fixed and ready for paint....
Lined the firewall and the inside if the cab under the dash and every pocket i could cake it into

Name:  IMAG0153_zpsilbrp1jj.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  99.4 KB

Name:  IMAG0154_zpsq9unpj2p.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  103.4 KB

Name:  IMAG0150_zpshrixq2i6.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  98.1 KB

Name:  IMAG0151_zps37fzxxh4.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  95.7 KB

got the drivers door hangin and started playing with mirror brackets

Old 04-08-2014, 08:23 AM
crazed87bronco
Logistics Pro
Cabs looking great. What did you use for firewall and floor same stuff as the underside of the cab? What color will you be painting the cab? Keep it up your gettin closer and closer.

Old 04-08-2014, 05:27 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by crazed87bronco
Cabs looking great. What did you use for firewall and floor same stuff as the underside of the cab?
x2 on this!

Old 04-09-2014, 10:17 AM
highntight
Elder User
Thanks guys.... I used Keystone liner It the same stuff I used on my toyota. Its tint able to any color... The lizzard skin I used on the underside of the cab and the roof. and I would have used it for the inside, The two thinks about lizzard skin i dont like is there is no uv protection in it. so If you did it where you can see it its going to fade... and the shelf life sucks... Thats why you pretty much have to buy the stuff off the internet because no one stocks it if it goes bad in 6 months... The reason I went with the keystone liner is mostly because I had an extra kit from the toyota

Next step is get the other doors on and mirrors fitted.... Bought the paint last Friday...
I have seen a few others use this color and Im pretty sure im in love with it.... its that mango tango off the new dodge and jeeps. Kind of a burnt orange, copper lookin color...

Im getting pretty excited...

here is a jeep i like this picture because its accented with black like Im going to do, no chrome....

Name:  Screenshot_2014-03-29-08-31-25_zps4gcs8dms.png
Views: 223
Size:  325.2 KB

Old 04-09-2014, 05:57 PM
grinnergetter
Cargo Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cant wait to see that color on it....I have a view pics saved of a 2 tone bump with a color close to what you picked.....nice choice.

Quick Reply: 72 crew cab long bed cummins