1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

72 crew cab long bed cummins

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 10:23 AM
highntight
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi fellers, Thank you for all the kind words. Hunt was good, It was my first bow hunt So it was a good leaning experience for sure, got into elk the last day and ended up botching the only shot I was presented with... Elk coming at me and stepped wrong and gave away my position...
On a crappy note...
Anyone want to buy a 72 crew cab cummins witha new trans and a blown headgasket or melted pistons....

Stupid truck hates me I swear, Got 5 hours away from the house and had engine trouble, hoped it was just a blown turbo seal, but pipes are clean and pretty... have a ton of blowby so head is coming off... ended up driving all day Sat and Sun... Dad was able to head to camp drop his trailer, come and get my 5th wheel and head to camp. I made my way home, got my brothers trucks and walton car hauler and headed back to Salina, got the truck loaded about midnight and headed up to camp. left Sun morning and got that b!t@h stuffed in the garage and headed back to Salina once again... Lost a few days of hunting and Im pretty sure my jaw will never be the same from clinching it for 600 miles.....

Old 09-12-2016, 10:45 AM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Received 169 Likes on 149 Posts
Originally Posted by highntight
Hi fellers, Thank you for all the kind words. Hunt was good, It was my first bow hunt So it was a good leaning experience for sure, got into elk the last day and ended up botching the only shot I was presented with... Elk coming at me and stepped wrong and gave away my position...
On a crappy note...
Anyone want to buy a 72 crew cab cummins witha new trans and a blown headgasket or melted pistons....

Stupid truck hates me I swear, Got 5 hours away from the house and had engine trouble, hoped it was just a blown turbo seal, but pipes are clean and pretty... have a ton of blowby so head is coming off... ended up driving all day Sat and Sun... Dad was able to head to camp drop his trailer, come and get my 5th wheel and head to camp. I made my way home, got my brothers trucks and walton car hauler and headed back to Salina, got the truck loaded about midnight and headed up to camp. left Sun morning and got that b!t@h stuffed in the garage and headed back to Salina once again... Lost a few days of hunting and Im pretty sure my jaw will never be the same from clinching it for 600 miles.....
DANG!

Old 09-13-2016, 11:06 AM
Gembone
Logistics Pro
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Never would have thought that this rig would run into troubles like this. Just goes to show that no matter how much planning and work you put into things, something can always go wrong.

I hope you get it figured out and fixed quickly, and it is the last of the issues so you can enjoy this beautiful rig.

Old 09-13-2016, 09:06 PM
Tomahawk
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Ohhhhhhhh nnnnnnnnoooooooo!
Wow Zack, that truly sucks.
You will get her fixed and this will just be a bad memory.

Old 09-13-2016, 09:23 PM
bajafishnut
Cargo Master
Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts
Dang Zack, that is terrible, and I am so sorry... It must be like a bad dream. An old engine builder once told me "There is no replacement, for displacement"... Build it, turbo it, double turbo it, and stress it to the max... something's gotta give.. I have owned and run a bunch of big Cat's... D-8's, 988's High Tracks, and to make 'em last, Cat over builds, and under powers everything, just so it will hold, when the conditions demand more than it can give. Did you know that when Cat rebuilds a motor, they throw away all the old bolts, and use totally new bolts... They believe that once a bolt has been torqued, it is done... I am not sure that is true, about the bolts being done, but Cat believes that...
Good luck on the rebuild amigo...

Baja

Old 09-13-2016, 10:24 PM
Randle
Fleet Mechanic
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Darn Zack, I hate to hear about your truck, that is rough.

Old 09-13-2016, 10:38 PM
blue04.5
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Zack, sorry to hear about the set back. Did you have head studs?

Old 09-14-2016, 12:59 AM
GaryKip
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
It seems that every hunt trip has some sort of "issue". Sorry to hear that the engine was your "issue". But just like another forum member had differential bolt problems, you can overcome this and feel better about it, knowing that "I fixed it".

Old 09-14-2016, 09:29 AM
highntight
Elder User
Originally Posted by GaryKip
It seems that every hunt trip has some sort of "issue". Sorry to hear that the engine was your "issue". But just like another forum member had differential bolt problems, you can overcome this and feel better about it, knowing that "I fixed it".
Originally Posted by blue04.5
Zack, sorry to hear about the set back. Did you have head studs?
Originally Posted by Randle
Darn Zack, I hate to hear about your truck, that is rough.
Originally Posted by bajafishnut
Dang Zack, that is terrible, and I am so sorry... It must be like a bad dream. An old engine builder once told me "There is no replacement, for displacement"... Build it, turbo it, double turbo it, and stress it to the max... something's gotta give.. I have owned and run a bunch of big Cat's... D-8's, 988's High Tracks, and to make 'em last, Cat over builds, and under powers everything, just so it will hold, when the conditions demand more than it can give. Did you know that when Cat rebuilds a motor, they throw away all the old bolts, and use totally new bolts... They believe that once a bolt has been torqued, it is done... I am not sure that is true, about the bolts being done, but Cat believes that...
Good luck on the rebuild amigo...

Baja
Originally Posted by Tomahawk
Ohhhhhhhh nnnnnnnnoooooooo!
Wow Zack, that truly sucks.
You will get her fixed and this will just be a bad memory.
Originally Posted by Gembone
Never would have thought that this rig would run into troubles like this. Just goes to show that no matter how much planning and work you put into things, something can always go wrong.

I hope you get it figured out and fixed quickly, and it is the last of the issues so you can enjoy this beautiful rig.
Originally Posted by JEFFFAFA
DANG!

Thanks boys, Truly good folks around here. And yes you can bet I'm going to fix it. maybe cussing all the way but it will get done, figure while I have the head off I will fire ring it, also go to a remote filter so I can get the air filter a little further away from the block and into more fresh air... I had studs and traded them for a stainless bolt kit for this engine, I went with some new technology on the head bolts, The bolts I ran they claimed work as well as studs Im not sure if there reusable or not, but I may go to studs now anyways... I want to walk away from this thing for a week or two but the other half of me wants to know what failed... Ill probably dig into it Friday.... Thank you gents for all the kind words and support....

Old 09-14-2016, 11:07 AM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Thanks boys, Truly good folks around here. And yes you can bet I'm going to fix it. . I want to walk away from this thing for a week or two but the other half of me wants to know what failed... Ill probably dig into it Friday.... Thank you gents for all the kind words and support....
I'm (we) wit cha' Zack. I'd want to walk away from it for a while also. But by this weekend I'd be in to it. Getting it done with less cussing and releases of steam. Hopefully it isn't as bad as it seems. In any case, we got your back.

Old 09-23-2016, 10:09 AM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
What's the latest and greatest on your rig Zack? On the way in to work this morning I thought of a new nickname for it. Mr. Testosterone.

Old 09-23-2016, 03:01 PM
highntight
Elder User
Originally Posted by JEFFFAFA
What's the latest and greatest on your rig Zack? On the way in to work this morning I thought of a new nickname for it. Mr. Testosterone.
What truck, lol Its in time out. Im making it very clear to mr testosterone that hes in deep crap lol HAHa havent touched it yet buddy... been taking a breather, been doing lots of hunting and fishing on the weekend and hanging out with my little lady... My seven year stretch with my currant company is over next week (shutting the doors) so I will have ample time to dig into that gold digger and figure out the problem..... or Maybe ill just go fishing

Old 09-23-2016, 03:07 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
What truck, lol Its in time out. Im making it very clear to mr testosterone that hes in deep crap lol HAHa havent touched it yet buddy... been taking a breather, been doing lots of hunting and fishing on the weekend and hanging out with my little lady... My seven year stretch with my currant company is over next week (shutting the doors) so I will have ample time to dig into that gold digger and figure out the problem..... or Maybe ill just go fishing

Well, don't be to__ hard on__ him. But that's exactly how I punish my dog. I ignore him for a bit. He hates that.

Old 09-23-2016, 09:32 PM
Tomahawk
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I can here Mr Testosterone saying "I'LL BE BACK"

Old 09-24-2016, 11:16 AM
bajafishnut
Cargo Master
Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts
Keep your bait wet Zack, its an old fisherman's trick.

Quick Reply: 72 crew cab long bed cummins