Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rust repair project!!! Lots of Picture. My first attempt at body work.

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 01:22 AM
GLOCKREAPER
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's some wicked rust.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:36 AM
05victorylly
Senior User
Originally Posted by Dave804
True advice here. I've dealt with black and white on cars for years. Actually never owned anything over. The black drove me nuts because you can see dust on the paint at 15miles, but put a few hours worth of work into it with some hand cloths and wax, and when you pull out of the garage it'll look like a million bucks.

My current DD is white, also driving me nuts haha. I hadn't washed it in about 4 mos. Pollen, road salt, spent a weekend driving around dirt roads hunting with rain. And then someone threw a cup of black coffee at the back hatch in anger. 9 hours I worked with the car. The paint is much smoother to the touch. But, more than 10ft away the only place you can tell a difference is the trim and chrome.

CLiffs: flat black will only get so clean. Will look even dirtier when not clean. White will look the same no matter what. Think about fleet vehicles: what color are they?
I just hate white so much haha! I know it makes more sense, but I have some time to think about it. For now I'll get everything all replaced and sealed up with some primer and some decently matching paint and then figure out what to do for the paint overall.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:49 AM
Dave804
Postmaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If y'all are getting some of the weather we're getting lately pollen should be wafting through the air up there. Go drive around a walmart parking lot and see what looks good dirty.

My mother's car is a dark blue. Looks good dirty. But there again, dents or scratches show up like spotlights.

Old 04-02-2012, 03:23 AM
GLOCKREAPER
Senior User
Black's the way to go.

Old 04-02-2012, 05:23 PM
Furniture Doctor
Senior User
Painting your truck

I have bought mismatch paint from the auto-body supplier. This was usually a gallon that the shop did not want. There was enough paint to do the entire truck. Just an idea.
Furniture Doctor

Old 04-02-2012, 06:20 PM
93 mix 'n match
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by mredington
I'm pretty sure that the Ford f series is the best selling vehicles for every year our trucks were made so I don't think we will run out plus I bet lots of guys get there cabs for swaps from the junk yard
do you really think theres an unlimited amount of 87-96 trucks out there? my point being those trucks shouldnt even be in the junkyard.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:53 PM
Bankrupter
Elder User
Originally Posted by 93 mix 'n match
some of you are the reason these trucks are dwindling. if you take 2 trucks to make one, over and over again, eventually you have no trucks left! its a little rust. as long as the rest of the truck is fine, its worth it. its welding in prefabbed pieces of steel. if you cant handle that, well then you probably have your oil changes done at jiffy-lube.
New england road salt is why.... but yes im guilty of gutting 3 95's and scraping frames.
If you all saw one that got parted out you would cry... MA truck not on the road for 7 years. Not a spot of rust anywhere on it, frame included! Custom pinstriped (paint not stickers) needed a motor and had a new E40D 15k miles---->!! from ford!! in it .. Blue wrenched apart. I have the full drive train and its cab. a 7.3 took its bed fendors n doors. I was beside myself it didnt just get a new 5.8 and if they would sell the truck I would have saved it for any reasonable price. But got my end of it all for 300 bucks.

Originally Posted by 05victorylly
I am going to repair my cab, I appreciate it though! I have all the parts already and if it would stop raining I could have had it fixed today. If you need a second set of hands with your cab let me know. We are probably not that far away from each other, I know its hard to find help sometimes.
your 2 hours and 15 mins away.. I have a lift and im all set. I was just offering up my labor for yours... Need a hand holla I wont drive my ford out there but can come in a toyota to help lol ....

Old 04-02-2012, 10:22 PM
93 mix 'n match
Posting Guru
parts are not as bad. but the people who take the trucks to the junkyard to get crushed and melted down sicken me. especially when theyre in good condition.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:31 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Around here the yards don't even hold them.

As soon as they drain the fuel and other liquids they are dropped into the hopper of the shredder and come out the other side in fist sized chunks.
No chance to save anything.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:34 PM
Xclimation
Senior User
I commend you for taking this on!

If you can find it, Stacey David did an episode of I believe "Trucks" or "Gearz" in which he did a project very similar to what you are doing. I can't remember for sure, but I think it was a Jeep he was fixing?

If you can find this episode it would be helpful. He's good and good at explaining. He made it look easy! (They always do on TV)

Please post pics and how to and tips! You just might help others save some trucks!

Old 04-02-2012, 10:55 PM
ravens fan
Senior User
DIESELBRAD lets try being more respectful to the OP almost every post out of you is negative....... i applaud the OP for taking this on.... why not fix it? its the floor panels not the whole cab.....and this kind of stuff is how you learn, esp somewhere that no one will see.... good luck!

Old 04-02-2012, 11:05 PM
05victorylly
Senior User
Thanks for the positive feedback guys! Should get some good work done on it tomorrow, ill post some pictures.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:53 PM
minnesotafisherman
Posting Guru
Subscribing, good luck with the project.

I would definitely go with black, sure it might show some imperfections but it will still look great when you're done.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:42 AM
Plain Jane
Senior User
So I assume your plan is to find a donor truck, cut out a floor panel in much better shape and weld the better panel in? I agree with whoever posted about the driver getting in and all the salt and snow melting and causing the problem. The guy must have been in and out of the truck plowing. Kind of a pain in the *** to clean off your boots every time if you are plowing all night. I don't plow and I literally carry a brush behind my seat. The rubber floor mats also trapped all the water underneath. I guess that'll teach you to be sweet and wipe your feet.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:49 AM
Plain Jane
Senior User
BTW, if Bankrupter has offered his assistance he is serious. He drove 2 hours each way to help me out. Excellent guy! Thanks again man!

Quick Reply: Rust repair project!!! Lots of Picture. My first attempt at body work.