Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-01-2012, 10:30 AM
New User

fabiodriven is starting off with a positive reputation.
Need some answers on F-350 Dually rear brakes quick.

Hello all!

First of all, the truck we're dealing with- 99 F-350, 2wd, 6-speed, 4 door, 7.3

I had my rear wheels off yesterday to to a wheel rotation and re-paint. It was the first time I had them off the truck since I bought it a year and a couple months ago.

First of all, my parking brake sucks and has since I bought the truck. It's iffy at best and I usually have to park the truck in gear. I've been meaning to address it for some time.

Secondly, I knew my rear brakes were worn and I could tell the fronts were doing a lot more of the work than they should be. I was appalled to see how bad my rear brakes really are. Plenty of meat on the pads, but rotors are smoked.

I just ordered a brand new set of rear rotors and pads, but I'm not sure what to order for the parking brake. I've never had it apart so I don't know how many shoes I need to order. Are these the type with one big "horseshoe" shoe, for a total of two shoes? One on each side? Or is it two shoes each side, like a traditional drum brake setup?

The rotors that are on the truck look like they're going to fight me a bit. Do I need a press to get them on/off?

Should I get new axle seals or is there anything else I should get that I don't already know about?

Sorry for the rush and the barrage of questions, but when I pull it apart it has to get done and go back together ASAP as this is my only non-two wheeled mode of transportation.

Thanks for looking guys!
Old 04-01-2012, 11:22 AM
Posting Guru

powerstroker100 has a good reputation on FTE.powerstroker100 has a good reputation on FTE.
Your going to need to remove the hub, so you'll need the special spanner socket for that, the shoes are a 2 piece design, there is a really good writeup on here of a guy with a v10 I believe and he does the backing plate and new shoe install, try to search for that it has good pictures
Old 04-01-2012, 11:28 AM
New User

Most of those spanner nuts I usually just use a chisel on. Is there any reason I can't do that in this case?
Old 04-01-2012, 10:19 PM
New User

I just had somebody else tell me I do not need to remove the hub. Do I have to remove the hub or not?
Old 04-02-2012, 10:06 AM
Hook it, I'll pull it.

miller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
I just had somebody else tell me I do not need to remove the hub. Do I have to remove the hub or not?
Is this a dually? If it is, you need to pull the axles to get the rotors off.
RICK, PAA MEMBER #4
2001, F-350, DRW. CC. LWB, 4X4, LARIAT,
MODS: 6637 W/Pete's cover, BTS-TRANS, DP-TUNER LIVE, MBRP 4" SS, Isspro 3 gauge kit, TN-BB turbo, Bellowed up pipes, HPX, TRU-COOL cooler, SS Stage II injectors, and the Chris-fifty.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:08 AM
New User

It is a dually. You are right, the hubs do need to come off. Thanks man.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:08 AM