Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-29-2012, 09:42 AM
Every day is Saturday...

Jolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to beholdJolly Roger Joe is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztartops View Post
My 56 lives and breathes again! After 26 years of sitting it runs pretty well. I will take pictures tomorrow.
SJP
SJP, welcome to FTE!

You should start your own thread with those pics, because we love to see pics. They feed our addiction!

Again, welcome aboard. You'll find this is a great place for opinions, answers and laughs. There are lots of folks hanging out here with loads of experience and a willingness to share.

51 F4 "Betsy" http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...4-project.html "If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right." Henry Ford
Old 05-03-2012, 03:58 PM
Freshman User

56f1hundred is starting off with a positive reputation.
Good story and nice truck!!
Old 05-03-2012, 11:49 PM
Elder User

South of BC has a good reputation on FTE.South of BC has a good reputation on FTE.
Here's some pictures of the motor I got. It's from the other '56 that is being restored alongside mine. It is a stock 272 that had never been rebuilt. First three pics are before it was torn down. Then one of the fresh block from the machine shop. Then one of it re-assembled and two of it ready for paint. Painted it today, but have to put the pics in the next post.
Attached Images

Old 05-04-2012, 12:07 AM
Elder User

South of BC has a good reputation on FTE.South of BC has a good reputation on FTE.
The first pic here is of the manifolds and the crossover pipe. I painted those with a POR-15 high temp product. I thought they came out pretty nice, all the brush marks seemed to vanish as it dried. Next are a couple of pics of the motor after it had been treated with the POR-15 Marine Clean and Metal Ready that came with the engine painting kit. The 'primer' is a small can of POR-15 paint. It went on the same as the high temp product, the brush marks disappeared. I thought it odd to use black as a primer for yellow, but hey, I'm not an authority on paint. So I waited per instructions and painted the yellow. Suddenly things weren't going so well. The paint wasn't flowing as nicely and definitely not covering. I couldn't stop as I was told it had to go on while the black was still tacky. I can't re-coat until tomorrow, hopefully the second coat will go on smooth and cover.
Attached Images

Old 05-11-2012, 12:36 AM
Elder User

Brakes are 90% complete. One of the non-stock upgrades was a CPP front disc kit. It actually installed quite nicely and easily. My new wheels from Wheels Vintique are still at the powder coaters, so I couldn't check them for clearance with the calipers. We should have read the instructions before replacing the king pins as you have to move the top zerk fittings and the bottom ones need to be 45 or 90. The local parts store was kind enough to lend the tool to flare the brake lines, so we bought a 25' coil of brake line and Mark replaced all the lines. Unfortunately spring has sprung and I was farming that day so I missed out on the fun. Anyway, now it can almost stop, now we just have to make it go.
Attached Images

Old 05-11-2012, 02:02 AM
Post Fiend

AXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to behold
Chuck Frank
I'm confused by the last pic of the rear axle. What is the rubber line running to the T on the axle? If it is the rear brake flex line, why does it run towards the back of the truck and is it as tight as it looks?

1956 F100 Panel "GRACIE"
2007 Solstice GXP racer, the "KRAZED KANARY"
Third place finish 2009 SCCA National Championships
Old 05-11-2012, 10:10 AM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXracer View Post
I'm confused by the last pic of the rear axle. What is the rubber line running to the T on the axle? If it is the rear brake flex line, why does it run towards the back of the truck and is it as tight as it looks?
That is the rear brake flex line, which came from Mid-Fifties and was the same length as the one that was on the truck prior to dis-assembly. The reason it looks taut is because of the camera angle and that the truck is suspended. I've added a couple more pics from other angles. So I guess if I ever put the truck airborne, that's the most the line will stretch.
Attached Images

Old 05-11-2012, 10:45 AM
Post Fiend

AXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to behold
Chuck Frank
Yep, camera angle. Just concerned, sorry.

1956 F100 Panel "GRACIE"
Old 05-11-2012, 11:06 AM
Elder User

Hey, no apologies necessary! I'd rather someone express concern and it be nothing than to keep quiet and I have a problem down the road. Thanks for looking out and caring.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:01 PM
Old School

arctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputation
Signing on, waiting for the first drive after so many years. How's your Dad doing?

Great Truck and even greater story and family history.

85 XLT Bronco 351W HO 4V Dual Pipes 33X12.5 BFG's
62 Uni 390 C6 Custom Cab Sold for 9.5K
Don't just Modify it Fordify it
A Side Arm Is Like A Parachute, Tis Better To Have One An Never Need It, Than To Need One And Not Have It

Old 05-11-2012, 12:05 PM
Senior User

Nighthawk756 is starting off with a positive reputation.
MAn, I'm really impressed with how quickly this project is going! Congrats!

Glad to see another Y block going in these trucks. That's what i decided to do. I've got a 292 coming out of a club sedan to go in mine.
2006 F150 SuperCrew Lariat
Old 05-11-2012, 12:42 PM
Old guy with old toys

raytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to behold
When you get the rear shocks installed the axle drop will be limited, will it not? Absolutely beautiful job you're doing.
2007 F150 SC. Driven once in a while. 2015 Escape SE EB 1.6 Wife's ride
Eighteen trillion, still spending and no end in sight. What fools! Argentina, move over, here we come.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:08 PM
Post Fiend

Chuck Frank
The shocks should NEVER be the limiting factor in the suspension movement. A sure way to damage them.

1956 F100 Panel "GRACIE"
Old 05-12-2012, 10:29 PM
Elder User

Dano78 has a good reputation on FTE.Dano78 has a good reputation on FTE.Dano78 has a good reputation on FTE.
South of BC- Great build and story! Definitely watching this one. So many great builds going on this year!!! Had my dad taken a federal job offered to him up in Colville rather than a job here in Vancouver many years ago, we'd be close neighbors. He's told me he wishes he took the job in Colville now... he's not the big-city type.

Ax, I can't think of a single car rolling off the assembly line that doesn't have the shocks holding up the suspension a bit, when off the ground. Once on the ground I doubt the correct shocks will ever bind in either direction unless he tries to re-create a "Dukes of Hazzard" moment.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:46 PM
Post Fiend

Chuck Frank
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano78 View Post
South of BC- Great build and story! Definitely watching this one. So many great builds going on this year!!! Had my dad taken a federal job offered to him up in Colville rather than a job here in Vancouver many years ago, we'd be close neighbors. He's told me he wishes he took the job in Colville now... he's not the big-city type.

Ax, I can't think of a single car rolling off the assembly line that doesn't have the shocks holding up the suspension a bit, when off the ground. Once on the ground I doubt the correct shocks will ever bind in either direction unless he tries to re-create a "Dukes of Hazzard" moment.
I've changed a lot of late model shocks, and can't remember one where the suspension hung from the shocks. If that was the case you would slam the pistons and/or valves into the upper end of the shock when the suspension drops, damaging it for sure. The rear wheels leave the ground more often than just doing a DOH jump. Some shocks are gas charged with a chamber or bag filled with nitrogen in the upper part of the shock. I'd be really upset if the suspension ever allowed the piston to hit the extended limits of my 3500.00 racing shocks!

1956 F100 Panel "GRACIE"
Old 05-12-2012, 11:46 PM