1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlights saving MPG??!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 11:09 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Headlights saving MPG??!

Anyone want to explain how these save me fuel? Maybe it will be worth it.. like my Tornado Fuel Saver and the fuel line magnets that align the fuel molecules.

Amazon.com: Sylvania 9005 EB/2 HB3 BP/12 TWIN EcoBright Headlight Bulbs (High-Beam), Pack of 2: Automotive

Product Description
From the Manufacturer
Balancing the needs of performance, efficiency and environmentally responsible usage and manufacturing, Sylvania EcoBright headlights are the right bulbs for drivers hoping to see more clearly. The Sylvania 9005 EB HB3 BP 12 twin pack features two headlight bulbs rated 25% brighter than standard bulbs, use up to 21% less energy, reduce CO2 emissions and virtually pay for themselves in fuel savings. Couple this with the environmentally sound practices used in their manufacture and you have the perfect choice for drivers as equally concerned about their impact on the planet as they are about visibility on the road.

25% brighter, yet environmentally responsible.
View larger.

Mercury, cadmium and lead free.
View larger.
The Environmental Choice in Automotive Lighting
With million upon millions of vehicles around the world on the road both night and day, the need for safe and effective automotive lighting is an undeniable necessity. Yet the equally clear realities of ever shrinking resources worldwide, higher energy costs and environmental impacts linked to human actions demand a balance between the needs of drivers and responsible stewardship of the environment for current and future generations. Thankfully drivers looking for a green alternative today can achieve just such a balance with Sylvania EcoBright headlights.

Sylvania EcoBright headlights are designed from the ground up to provide drivers with excellent down-road and side-road visibility with a brightness rating that is 25% higher than an aged standard bulb. EcoBright bulb's low operational wattage also allows for energy conservation, resulting in the use of 9% to 21% less energy than SAE maximum design specifications. This decreased use of energy by vehicle electrical systems leads to monetary saving in fuel, estimated between $2 - $19 over the life of a pair of headlight bulbs, which in turn equates to reduced CO2 emissions by your vehicle. In addition to the environmentally beneficial features of the use of EcoBright bulbs, they are manufactured and packaged with environmental responsibility in mind. EcoBright headlights are mercury free, cadmium free, and lead free and are manufactured in facilities dedicated to limiting contaminants. This means cleaner water and air, now and forever. Finally, Sylvania packages its products using paperboard packaging containing up to 100% post-consumer recycled fiber (depending on type), and 40% less plastic per year than the previous packaging. Together this reduces the amount of raw materials needed and increases the number of products that can be shipped at a time, improving transportation efficiency and reducing fuel usage and associated air pollution.

Key Features:

Save Energy - from 9 to 21% wattage savings.
Save Money - from $2 to $19 in gas over the life of a pair.
See Better - Drive Safer - 25% brighter than an aged standard bulb.
Environmentally Responsible:
Carbon Dioxide (CO2) emissions are reduced from 13 to 107 lbs. over the life of a pair.
EcoBright bulbs are mercury free, cadmium free, and lead free.
Produced in factories committed to reducing the impact to the environment.
Sylvania calls this commitment to responsible manufacturing, Global Care.
2 EcoBright 9005 EB HB3 BP 12 12.8V, 59W headlight bulbs included.
The Sylvania Global Care Program
Global Care is a Sylvania company-wide program that represents their commitment to social and environmental responsibility worldwide. As a leader in innovative lighting solutions, Sylvania is dedicated to products and processes that contribute to solving global sustainability challenges, address economic needs and protect the environment for today and for the future. Check every headlight model below to review the energy and monetary savings, efficiency of product and reduction of CO2 levels found throughout the EcoBright product line.

Old 03-31-2012, 11:29 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,588 Likes on 1,294 Posts
I read years ago that headlights cost about 1/2 of a mile per gallon. So, if these critters use less juice than whatever you're running now, you'll be ahead on gas with them.

Other factors would probably mask any effect of these. Rain costs mpg also, not sure how much. So you'd be hard pressed to prove any gain.

BUT, if they use less juice, well, it would follow that they would use less gas as it takes gas to make electricity in a vehicle.

Old 04-01-2012, 01:06 AM
Kajtek1
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe it is 1/2 mpg on 60 mpg Prius, but I doubt it makes measurable difference on Superduty.
My truck even driven always with the same speed have difference up to 15% what I blame on fuel from different states, but our sedan never shows noticeable difference while driving with AC on or off.
When AC compressor takes about 1000 W of power, the DRL take about 100W so if I can't measure first, how can I notice the 2nd?
Last year I bought LED bulbs for my living room because they save energy and I measure they save a lot. Now my living room is lighted up with less than 5W.
Still calculating the bulbs price and cost of energy, I will get my money back in 75 years... if I am lucky.

Old 04-01-2012, 09:39 AM
Sand_Man
Posting Guru
If headlights cost money to run, I would see better MPG's during the daytime, which I do not. I think this is typical marketing BS...

Old 04-01-2012, 09:49 AM
Pappy1911
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't get it. The alternator turns at the same rpm whether it's putting out a lot because of a low battery or a trickle charge....no extra drain on the engine. I call BS.

Also BS...fuel line magnets that align the fuel molecules.

Old 04-01-2012, 10:01 AM
onug
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Sand_Man
If headlights cost money to run, I would see better MPG's during the daytime, which I do not. I think this is typical marketing BS...
x2. Theory doesn't always translate into reality. One vehicle hooked up to a bunch of monitors in a controlled lab doesn't prove real world results.

And that's when the Head of Marketing walks through the door...

Old 04-01-2012, 10:09 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Pappy1911
I don't get it. The alternator turns at the same rpm whether it's putting out a lot because of a low battery or a trickle charge....no extra drain on the engine. I call BS.

Also BS...fuel line magnets that align the fuel molecules.

yes the alternator turns at whatever rpm multiplied by what the engine is running, that is true.

But the load on the alternator is what hurts fuel mileage.

Sure less wattage headlights could save a little on gas but I highly doubt it would be noticeable unless you have 100 lights on your truck.

Just to show the load an alternator can put on a engine have a look at my alternator drive by a weed eater motor test: weed eater motor portable battery charger mock up testing VPT - YouTube

That was just a load of charging an already fairly charged battery. I went on to test with more load on the battery and the most the weed eater motor could power was charging the battery, 2 100W headlight bulbs and two 55W headlight bulbs. Adding one more 55W bulb would kill the motor from the load of the alternator.

Guys that use alternators to weld with say you need at least 5hp to drive the alternator.

Old 04-01-2012, 10:34 AM
Big_Al59
Laughing Gas
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Marketing BS is all it is, seems like they are putting that greenie marketing on almost everything you buy these days. Guess pt barnum is chuckling in his grave.

Old 04-01-2012, 01:44 PM
Rush117
Senior User
I think the key is within their marketing. They say that you'll save between $2 and $19 in fuel over the life of the pair. How long do those things last? 5, 6, 7 years?

Even at 5 years, are you going to notice even the best case of a $19 savings? I'd bet the SD would more in the $2 range. Being that I spend about $2,000 a year on fuel, I'd spend $10,000 over 5 years. If I play my cards right, I can spend $50 today so I can save $2 over the course of 5 years. This would only make sense to the feds.

Old 04-01-2012, 04:03 PM
Kajtek1
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Rush117
If I play my cards right, I can spend $50 today so I can save $2 over the course of 5 years. This would only make sense to the feds.
Add Prius owners

Bottom line is that energy saving exist, only it makes no economical sense.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:25 AM
JJJRoberts
Senior User
maybe when you fill up your headlights now will kick in a few bucks for gas

Old 04-02-2012, 12:51 PM
rjfetz1
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great....now that they know headlights will save fuel....gas prices are going to go up even more.

Old 04-02-2012, 02:07 PM
Pappy1911
Senior User
Originally Posted by Snowseeker
yes the alternator turns at whatever rpm multiplied by what the engine is running, that is true.

But the load on the alternator is what hurts fuel mileage.
When the alternator spins, it puts out 100% of it's design. The output is controlled by resistors or some such electronics depending on demand.

I just don't get it...the alternator puts out x number of DC volts. How does this put additional strain on the engine if the voltage is used or not? I understand how an AC compressor being used is a factor in gas mileage as the engine has an additional mechanical load.

I compare it to a water pump at a body of water. It will put x # of GPH whether the output is used or not...

????

Old 04-02-2012, 02:11 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,573 Likes on 1,051 Posts
Originally Posted by Pappy1911
A common misconception, based on a lack of understanding how an alternator works.

The alternator RPM is determined by engine speed. There is a pulley ratio from the crankshaft to the alternator. The load that the alternator puts on the engine varies with the load on the alternator.

If the alternator is creating 100 amps the load it puts on the engine is quite a bit larger than if it is creating 5 amps. No matter what the amperage load the voltage is relatively steady at 13-14.5 volts. The volts don't vary, the amps do.

If these headlights draw 21% less amps than standard lights the engine will use less fuel to create the amps to that power the lights. That's a fact that can be calculated and proven. Is it enough that you could measure it in the real world? That's not so easy.

Could these save $20 over two years? That's two gallons per year. If you drive 15,000 miles per year and average 15 MPG (I made up those numbers to keep the math easy) you need to save 2 gallons out of the 1000 you use. That's 0.2% increase in fuel economy, or an increase of 0.03 MPG. I'll bet you will get this increase, but an you measure it?

Notice this doesn't increase your fuel economy, it reduces the fuel economy loss when the headlights are on. With these bulbs your loss is 0.03 MPG less.

Old 04-02-2012, 02:39 PM
Pappy1911
Senior User
What about this;

Remove alternator from engine and mount it on a holding fixture with a hand crank and start spinning it at a constant rpm (highly subjective and unable to maintain, but imagine it could be done consistently).

Now it's putting out some volts/amps. Does one have to crank harder if the output is being used for a large device against a smaller device?

Quick Reply: Headlights saving MPG??!