6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

6R140 Tow/Haul Mode Almost Put Me In A Ditch

Old 05-02-2017, 04:18 PM
thomabb
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
6R140 Tow/Haul Mode Almost Put Me In A Ditch

I am starting to understand why you guys like manual mode. First time I pulled the 5th wheel with the '12 yesterday, right after a pretty heavy rain, so the roads were nice and wet. Had to get the camper state inspection done and the guy had an opening if I could get it to him. So, I ran home, hooked up, and pulled out...

I live in west central PA. Not many flat roads around here. My road is tar&chip to boot. Near the end of the road, there is a fairly steep down hill that starts with a fairly tight blind 90 degree right hand bend about 75 feet below the crest. Some of you may see where this is going...

So I am in tow/haul, and up to now am fairly impressed. Running between 35 and 45, the shift points seem learn-able.

I approach the hill. Slow to about 30 to start the descent. Tranny picks 3rd, integrated brake controller is working well. Approaching the bend, the tranny picks 2nd. OK, I am not particularly fond of the choice because now there is minimal braking needed. Now I am thinking I might need to manipulate the trailer brakes manually to keep her from pushing me too hard around the turn.

Then, just as I start the bend, the tranny picks first. Here we go. Back of the truck starts scooting sideways a little. How do I get it out of first gear? Crap.

Thankfully I was already reaching for the brake controller. Thankfully the road wasn't covered in snow.

Thankfully I had used the bathroom before I left the house.

So after that ordeal the next hill was an upgrade. Truck was running over 4500 rpms. I thought does this motor really need to be screaming like this? The trailer is only about 8500lbs. Switch to manual, upshift, truck is now running just over 3k and accelerating up the hill.

Lesson learned. Time to start mastering manual mode.

Old 05-02-2017, 06:29 PM
Good listener
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We just returned from a trip on the Kentucky roller coaster roads and I went down a few roads that had turns like you described. Our 5th wheel is about 10,000 lbs and I never used tow/haul during the trip. I negotiated the steep downhills by using the lockout selector and most like you were talking about locking out to second gear and doing about 30mph. The braking needed was minimal and I felt in control the whole time. I've tried using manual and found the gear lockouts are a lot easier to use. There was a line of semi's going down the grades of I-71 that were smoking their brakes and I rarely had to use my brakes at all following them using the lockout. You could really smell their brakes when we got to the bottom of the hills.

Old 05-02-2017, 06:31 PM
brickman
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I love using manual, it makes a world of difference, keeps rpms under control, engine braking is much improved, less shifting on urban roads, although I still leave it in auto when going through an unfamiliar city with rv in tow.

Old 05-03-2017, 01:06 AM
rspeters
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've actually been impressed with this every way I've tried it. I've used tow/haul mode and had good success with hill descents. I've also had good success in manual mode, or just locking out gears. All in all, I think Ford has done a fantastic job with the transmission control in these trucks.

Old 05-03-2017, 06:40 AM
thomabb
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by rspeters
All in all, I think Ford has done a fantastic job with the transmission control in these trucks.

In general I would agree, but it didn't take long for me to find a scenario where the tow/haul strategy was very wrong. Had I been pulling a bumper pull trailer of similar weight I probably wouldn't have recovered.

Old 05-03-2017, 06:59 AM
rvpuller
Received 425 Likes on 279 Posts
I use all the different modes when pulling our trailer depending on the road but going down grades in TH is something I won't do, on modest grades I will lock out gears but on the good healthy ones it's manual all the way

Denny

Old 05-03-2017, 07:22 AM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
tow/haul mode.. I find pressing on the brake and releasing and pressing again automatically the transmission will downshift again.. reason going into first.

Once you press on the brake going down a hill.. do not release brake... just use less pressure.. my opinion... or manual mode.

Old 05-03-2017, 09:04 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,049 Posts
Originally Posted by thomabb
right after a pretty heavy rain, so the roads were nice and wet.
I'm glad you didn't wreck it!

Did you see this in your owner's manual, page 289?
WARNING: Do not use the tow/haul feature when driving in icy
or slippery conditions as the increased engine braking can cause
the rear wheels to slide and the vehicle to swing around with the
possible loss of vehicle control.

Old 05-03-2017, 09:13 AM
thomabb
Cargo Master
Unfortunately I have not been able to read the owners manual beyond looking up specific items. I find it interesting that Ford put this in the manual. Guess I should have made time to read it. Jumping from a '02 to a '12, I should have known better.

Old 05-04-2017, 08:12 PM
Slowpoke Slim
Laughing Gas
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
I love manual mode when pulling heavy. Only way to fly imo. I too agree that Ford really got this engine/transmission combo right. Still very happy with mine, whether towing or not.

Old 05-05-2017, 06:53 AM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
truck manual reading is a Must... when man made brains (computers) are doing most of the operating of the working parts ..

fly-by-wire..
auto learning.
down hill control/ hill holding.
ABS brakes.
Sway control.