1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

1986 f-150/302/efi....tracking down a fuel issue..

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 10:29 PM
oldfart
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well fellers I finally got some time yesterday to work on the truck and pulled the codes. The main problem is not getting fuel to the fuel rail but wanted to start with the codes. Codes were 21 (ECT)...24 (IAT) and 22 (MAP) Not surprising since the truck won't actually start. It turns over fine but makes no effort ti fire. Anyways, since I jumped out the fuel pump test port I can hear the high pressure pump and actually crawled under and can feel it humming. Couldn't hear/feel the one in the tank. So I figgered next...pull off the tank line where it enters the diverter valve an see if I got fuel there. Pulled the line and fuel is dribbling out (rear of truck is higher than front...can't move it) and turned on the pump. WHOOOA! We got fuel now! Problem is not with the in tank pump as I assumed. Tommorrow I'll pull the fuel line before&after the high pressure pump and see where it doesn't have pressure. Somewhere between the diverter valve intake side and the fuel rail the flow is stopped. I am curious, I assume it's the factory high pressure pump and not sure how the wires are attached. I can see the wires and connectors but couldn't pull them off the pump. What's holding them buggers on there? Mebbe I'm just weak? Well, tommorrows another day. Also, a word to the wise...the little plastic thingys that hold the fuel lines on are expensive and 1 time use apparently. NOT having them handy when ya pull the fuel line off is....exciting. Audie...the Oldfart.

Old 04-01-2012, 01:10 AM
84-6.9L
Posting Guru
Your fuel selector valve may be stuck, pull the line off on the outlet side and see if you have any fuel, also on the early ones there was a strainer in the bottom of the valve that may be plugged.

Old 04-01-2012, 07:29 AM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 84-6.9L
Your fuel selector valve may be stuck, pull the line off on the outlet side and see if you have any fuel, also on the early ones there was a strainer in the bottom of the valve that may be plugged.
Do a search on here, I believe Archion posted the PN for a replacement filter element for the tank selector/reservoir assembly. Only the 85 and 86 use the filter, 87-89 looks the same but lacks the filter.

Last edited by 85lebaront2; 04-01-2012 at 07:30 AM. Reason: typo
Old 04-01-2012, 09:03 AM
oldfart
Senior User
O.K. fellers I did as ya'll suggested and pulled the fuel line on the engine side of the diverter valve (tank selector valve) and I got fuel. Then I pulled it off the fuel filter (main fuel filter between high press. pump and engine) and the pressure & volume is still low when I kick on the high pressure pump. No increase. Then I backtracked and pulled it right off the end of the high press. pump. (engine side) No increase in pressure or volume. So.....I'm left to assume the high pressure pump is done for. By this time I'm done for the day but while laying under the truck and looking at that pump I got to wondering. Looking at it I can see 3 screws going thru the frame member into the "cradle" (for lack of a better word) that actually holds the pump. It's almost like a canister of sorts and I wondered if Ford, in a moment of lucidity, made this so the fingers folded down on the end of the pump cradle can be bent outward and the pump simply slips out of the cradle/canistor. I don't know why I'd actually even consider it and I'm reasonably sure Ford sureasell didn't...but I thought I'd ask. Those little bolts don't look hard to get out....gittin' em back in might be a challange. And I'm still concerned about removing the elec. connections from the pump. I yanked on them little bastiges and they don't seem to be coming loose. Well, tommorrows another day. Time to do some reloading for the 45/70. Thanks for all the help guys!! Audie...the Oldfart..

Old 04-01-2012, 09:26 AM
klricks
Senior User
Originally Posted by oldfart
Well fellers I finally got some time yesterday to work on the truck and pulled the codes. The main problem is not getting fuel to the fuel rail but wanted to start with the codes. Codes were 21 (ECT)...24 (IAT) and 22 (MAP) Not surprising since the truck won't actually start. It turns over fine but makes no effort ti fire. Anyways, since I jumped out the fuel pump test port I can hear the high pressure pump and actually crawled under and can feel it humming. Couldn't hear/feel the one in the tank. So I figgered next...pull off the tank line where it enters the diverter valve an see if I got fuel there. Pulled the line and fuel is dribbling out (rear of truck is higher than front...can't move it) and turned on the pump. WHOOOA! We got fuel now! Problem is not with the in tank pump as I assumed. Tommorrow I'll pull the fuel line before&after the high pressure pump and see where it doesn't have pressure. Somewhere between the diverter valve intake side and the fuel rail the flow is stopped. I am curious, I assume it's the factory high pressure pump and not sure how the wires are attached. I can see the wires and connectors but couldn't pull them off the pump. What's holding them buggers on there? Mebbe I'm just weak? Well, tommorrows another day. Also, a word to the wise...the little plastic thingys that hold the fuel lines on are expensive and 1 time use apparently. NOT having them handy when ya pull the fuel line off is....exciting. Audie...the Oldfart.

The 3 codes you get are all temperature related. The engine MUST be warmed up to normal operating temp before running the self tests. If the codes are the KOEO codes which come out 1st then that is the case. If the codes are in the stored memory codes, (2nd set of codes) then they may be real.

Both in-tank pumps must be operational in order for the switching valve to work properly. Most likely the switching valve is stuck.

Do you get fuel out the schrader valve on the fuel rail?

I can't remember how the connecter is on the HP pump? There may be a screw holding it on?

The fuel line clips do break easily but can be found at most autoparts stores. Note there are 2 sizes the EFI return lines are 5/16". Main lines are 3/8"

See the link in my signature for some fuel system info.