6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

6.4L Programmer Opinion

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 10:14 AM
smotrs
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ronin 5729
Correct, sorry if I confused the issue with the EGR valve cycling open and closed versus block-off plates...I'm on several (PS) diesel forums so I get a little confused sometimes with what I've said, where and when!

I think the block-off plates become an issue because those folks that have them installed seem to have the most issues with them cracking. Not sure if it's an (increased) pressure or heat cycling related issue but I think the tuning solution (of cycling the EGR valve) is a good alternative to doing a full delete (which is on my list of things to do, along with headstuds!).
heh, yeah, hard to follow what's what on multiple forums.

I also wonder though if the issues are related to certain versions of the EGR's. I had my EGR valve get stuck and they had to replace it with updated versions. Apparently there were issues with the previous versions that these new ones addressed, kinda like the whole single/dual o-ring solution to the hoses. In any case, I wonder if the failure rate is related more to the original ones or the newer ones?

Too hard to do a study though as I'm sure no one really knows which ones they have or had.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:21 PM
Herlface
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also had problems with my EGR. It was when I was hauling my fifth wheel back from Texas. It was do bad they had to replace my DPF because of coolant draining into my exhaust. Thankfully it was still under warranty.

Old 05-16-2012, 04:55 PM
Herlface
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You guys told me so but I did not listen, I hope this helps someone in the future. I bought the gearbox Z delete kit for the CAT, DPF and the EGR. It worked fine with my Banks IQ until I removed the EGR. After that my truck was throwing codes related to the EGR and the Banks Six Gun would not clear or work with the codes. I called up Spatan and after talking to them I ordered their programmer with the tunes to run my truck with out the EGR.
My truck is no longer throwing codes and the HP gains are impressive, leaps and bounds above the Banks.
I can see using the Gear box Z DPF-R if you want to run your truck stock but delete the DPF, it is easy to convert back if you have to pass an inspection.
If you don't have state regulations on your vehicle and want to remove the DPF and EGR I would recommend the Spartan. When I get some miles on my Spartan I will post my results with MPG. My buddy said he was getting 20 mpg highway with the 250 setting.
Once again you were right, I was wrong and I appreciate the help.