Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

understanding 4R100 Torque Converter Problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 11:40 AM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wanted to bring this one back from the dead since I am still in search of knowledge when it comes to torque converters. Grant it t.c. aren't cool and it isn't something you build in your garage. But what they do and how they do is way cool in my book so I have been trying to following what's out there as far as how they are made and what parts go in them. This is the lastest newsletter I have gotten. It might be a good read for those who might be interested.
KINERGO: News in Torque Converter rebuilder industry
http://kinergo.eu/products/obgt/

Old 04-01-2015, 10:34 PM
slim613
Elder User
could anyone by chance help me with my TC issue any ideas are welcome

mine wont unlock it seems like i have reverse but no forward i put in any forward gear it will pull its own but the min you touch the throttle it stalls out and dies iv checked harness, i did the unplug solenoid and if it dosent happen its wiring well mine dont but wiring is good PCM, CHIP, shift solenoid (warantee) iv by passes both coolers with a scan tool i can read %15 locked but that right before it dies and no codes tranny shop is sayin a warped pump im kinda leading to a valve iv been fighting and fighting this issue for months tranny was just built runnin new roadrunner "bad boy" TC... racer-X rebuild kit, trans go lock up kit, tugger kit that im slowley removin cuz iv had issues with just about every part like 2/3 shift replaced with stock valve and i could shift again my BTS VB is removed at the moment about to pull pump and remove lock up kit or check for hung valve can anyone iv got 2000 miles on fresh engine and tranny build PLEASE HELP!

Old 04-02-2015, 08:16 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Post deleted. Not relevant.

Old 04-02-2015, 08:50 AM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Originally Posted by slim613

mine wont unlock it seems like i have reverse but no forward i put in any forward gear it will pull its own but the min you touch the throttle it stalls out and dies iv checked harness, i did the unplug solenoid and if it dosent happen its wiring well mine dont but wiring is good PCM, CHIP, shift solenoid (warantee) iv by passes both coolers with a scan tool i can read %15 locked but that right before it dies and no codes tranny shop is sayin a warped pump im kinda leading to a valve iv been fighting and fighting this issue for months tranny was just built runnin new roadrunner "bad boy" TC... racer-X rebuild kit, trans go lock up kit, tugger kit that im slowley removin cuz iv had issues with just about every part like 2/3 shift replaced with stock valve and i could shift again my BTS VB is removed at the moment about to pull pump and remove lock up kit or check for hung valve can anyone iv got 2000 miles on fresh engine and tranny build PLEASE HELP!
I'm sorry to hear you are having problems. Personally I think your issues with the TC are in the pump. That is just my guess. There are 4 components that effect the TC lock up: PCM, solenoid pack, pump valves/PWM valve & drain valve and the TC. Now you said "CHIP" have tried with stock pcm tune?

It also sounds like you have other issues going on too with the 2/3 shift. I suggest starting a new thread to address these issues. You'll get more input that way since this thread is more of a theory of TC build and design weakness.

Old 04-02-2015, 09:03 AM
Tim Hodgson
Fleet Mechanic

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
CampSpringsJohn: I looked at slim613's avatar too, I am pretty sure it says "Rope her" in keeping with the logo. Regardless, it it could be considered misognistic and he may want to consider changing it unless he is ok with that reflection on him.

On the other hand I totally approve of FordPride's and Pitcrw6's avatars...

Old 04-02-2015, 09:12 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Tim, you are right. My eyes aren't as good as they used to be. I apologize to slim613.

As for the other avatars you mention, I agree!

Last edited by CampSpringsJohn; 04-02-2015 at 10:02 PM. Reason: to make an apology.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:37 AM
slim613
Elder User
Originally Posted by BadDogKuzz
I'm sorry to hear you are having problems. Personally I think your issues with the TC are in the pump. That is just my guess. There are 4 components that effect the TC lock up: PCM, solenoid pack, pump valves/PWM valve & drain valve and the TC. Now you said "CHIP" have tried with stock pcm tune?

It also sounds like you have other issues going on too with the 2/3 shift. I suggest starting a new thread to address these issues. You'll get more input that way since this thread is more of a theory of TC build and design weakness.
2/3 shift issue has been fixed i had to remove the tugger kit out of it all all worked great

the only other issue i have is the TC and yes i have removed my php hydra chip and just ran stock no tuning at all i thought it was that and removed it and it still does it so then i swaped PCM's that didnt work either

Old 04-02-2015, 09:37 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts

mine wont unlock it seems like i have reverse but no forward i put in any forward gear it will pull its own but the min you touch the throttle it stalls out and dies
This tells me it is an engine problem, not a converter problem. Why do you think it is a torque converter problem?

iv checked harness,
How did you check the harness?

i did the unplug solenoid and if it dosent happen its wiring well mine dont but wiring is good PCM, CHIP, shift solenoid (warantee)
How do you know they are good? I've seen several people assume that things are good and then can't diagnose what's wrong because the "know" these things are good.

iv by passes both coolers
That's as useful as rotating the tires. It has no bearing on this problem.

with a scan tool i can read %15 locked but that right before it dies and no codes tranny shop is sayin a warped pump im kinda leading to a valve
What valve are you leaning towards?

I'm leaning towards an engine problem.

Old 04-02-2015, 09:41 AM
slim613
Elder User
Originally Posted by CampSpringsJohn
You've been here for 5 years plus, and I'm surprised no one has said anything about that picture next to your name. While I assume "rape her" is meant to be a joke, those of us with wives and daughters don't see it that way.
yes its "ride her rope he power(ford)stroke her" if it offinds anyone i appoligise i thought it was more like a ropin a prowerstoke but yea it has been there for awhile not 5 years tho yall would be the first to say anything about it i had thought i changed it but i guess i didnt save changes

Old 04-02-2015, 09:48 AM
slim613
Elder User
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
This tells me it is an engine problem, not a converter problem. Why do you think it is a torque converter problem?

How did you check the harness?

How do you know they are good? I've seen several people assume that things are good and then can't diagnose what's wrong because the "know" these things are good.

That's as useful as rotating the tires. It has no bearing on this problem.

What valve are you leaning towards?

I'm leaning towards an engine problem.
iv removed harnes inspected every wire, sent power theu one end makin sure i got power to one single point tracing to the other end if i had multaple hot wires supplying one i looked to see if it should be iv ohme them i traced the wire past just the harness connector iv iv had this truck in peices checkin wires by visual and sending power thru

and i can put it in reverse and drive for days sith not a problem if i ride the break untill im goin a bit i can drive it but its like havin to do a burn out just to keep it goin even you in the past said it was a torque converder as well as every transmission guy iv talked too

Old 04-02-2015, 09:50 AM
slim613
Elder User
when pushin the break it unlocks the converter (how it should work) and that part works i just gotta ride it and haul butt untill i have momentum

Old 04-02-2015, 09:56 AM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Originally Posted by CampSpringsJohn
You've been here for 5 years plus, and I'm surprised no one has said anything about that picture next to your name. While I assume "rape her" is meant to be a joke, those of us with wives and daughters don't see it that way.
I didn't caught that but either way it may read I do not approve of it. I too have a wife & daughter and was brought up to respect woman. One the reasons I like FTE is the liked minded family type place I like to go. My 6 yr old daughter actually read posts here on FTE because this is a place I feel safe with her. So all I ask is that he rethink the whole joke because I don't appreciate it either.

On the other hand I totally approve of FordPride's and Pitcrw6's avatars too because it shows a woman as thing of beauty.

Well this thread sure did get Hijacked !!

Old 04-02-2015, 10:15 AM
slim613
Elder User
Originally Posted by BadDogKuzz
I didn't caught that but either way it may read I do not approve of it. I too have a wife & daughter and was brought up to respect woman. One the reasons I like FTE is the liked minded family type place I like to go. My 6 yr old daughter actually read posts here on FTE because this is a place I feel safe with her. So all I ask is that he rethink the whole joke because I don't appreciate it either.

On the other hand I totally approve of FordPride's and Pitcrw6's avatars too because it shows a woman as thing of beauty.

Well this thread sure did get Hijacked !!
no worries to me about the hijack, we are all here to keep FTE a great place and improve so il change it as soon as i get my next break