Sponsored by: DP Tuner

understanding 4R100 Torque Converter Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 10:18 AM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by F350-6
Welcome to the Super Duty 7.3 section Bill. I don't think I've seen you around these parts before, and it's been a while since I've seen you around the OBS section. Welcome back to FTE. We would love to hear your opinion on anything you care to comment on.

For the rest of you who don't know, Bill is one of those service behind the sale kind of guys. Want to know something about how the 4R100 works or why you should do something different in a rebuild, he'll explain it to you.

Since he's not a sponsor, he can't say he sells transmissions, tranny parts, or anything that might be considered advertising........, but I can
https://racerxusa.com/

He's one of the E4OD/4R100 guru's. Don't be afraid to talk to or buy from him.
Thanks for pointing that out Chris !! It is very nice of him to explain the inner works of these parts. And if he points out how RacerX has improved on the factory design I would think it would still be considered passing along knowledge and not considered trying to sell his product. For us guys knowledge is power and it helps us to make choices. Besides I don't see any other builder coming here to help educate us on design flaws of the 4R100 and it's t.c.

And Bill thank you so much for sharing your knowledge with us on the 4R100 and I am looking forward to hearing about the 4R100 torque converter. And for what it worth when you share this kind of information it also creates brand loyality because of your willingness to share your knowledge and your willingness to help others. I just don't understand why more businesses don't understand this philosophy.

And to prove my point you have Clay from RiffRaff who always goes out of his way to help other and educate us and it creates brand loyality. Thanks Clay

Now can we please hear some more torque converter talk . I am in need of input which I hope I can convert to knowledge. HeHe I am kinda like a torque converter that won't lock up!!

Old 04-18-2012, 11:26 AM
duck fan
Because racetruck

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts
Since he's not a sponsor, he can't say he sells transmissions, tranny parts, or anything that might be considered advertising........, but I can

Why not become a sponsor? If what he's selling is good for the community, he should be willing to support it.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:16 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by duck fan
Why not become a sponsor? If what he's selling is good for the community, he should be willing to support it.
Probably has to do with pricing and return on investment. There are several online forums out on the www. Vendors have to choose which ones to participate in. Simply being a sponsor won't get you a lot of business if you don't have the time to participate online.

How many sponsors of FTE can you name off the top of your head, and when's the last time you went and read the full sponsor list? Spending money with our sponsors is something I try to do, but I don't hold it against anyone if they don't have the time or money to sponsor FTE.

I don't see Brian Thompson or John Wood's name on the sponsor list either, yet I see folks talking good about them all the time. If Bill wants to stop by and contribute (which is more than Brian or John do), then I welcome him and just want to be sure others understand who he is and welcome his knowledge as well.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:07 AM
Racer-X
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welcome to the Super Duty 7.3 section Bill. I don't think I've seen you around these parts before, and it's been a while since I've seen you around the OBS section. Welcome back to FTE. We would love to hear your opinion on anything you care to comment on.

For the rest of you who don't know, Bill is one of those service behind the sale kind of guys. Want to know something about how the 4R100 works or why you should do something different in a rebuild, he'll explain it to you.

https://racerxusa.com/

Thanks for the welcome!!!

Old 04-19-2012, 09:05 AM
Racer-X
Junior User
Originally Posted by BadDogKuzz
First of all thank you for your input. But I am always in search of more knowledge about torque converters for the 4r100. But like you said most people even the people selling torque converters don't even know how they work or how they are rebuilt or built. So if you could be as so kind to tell me what you mean by "they already have end play that can't be reduced." Are you talking about the turbine hub? If so the turbine hub can and should be replaced when rebuilding a t.c. But most rebuilders of stock converters don't replace the turbine hub due to the cost.

And can you please explain more details about what you mean by "A new converter made from a different and stronger design is the only fix for converter fly apart and preventing your transmission from being ruined by converter failure." I am looking for information on what parts are different and how are different or improved.
These are questions BadDogKuzz asked in another thread. Since that thread was about choosing between low end ebay converters, I moved this to BadDogKuzz's thread to continue this discussion on topic.

Let me have some info from you to help answer your questions. Is the E99 converter what your using in your F-350? Or do you have an E series van, or E series in-complete vehicle etc. with the noisy converter in it? I think your asking about an early 1999 converter in your 1999 F-350 crew cab dually with 2 wheel drive.

What horsepower mods will you be using with the new converter? Is the T 500 a Terminator high pressure oil pump for larger injectors? Basically list, all hp and chassis/tire mods you'll have, and what vehicle you have so I know we're on the same page.

Thanks for the welcome too!

Old 04-20-2012, 10:46 AM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Racer-X
These are questions BadDogKuzz asked in another thread. Since that thread was about choosing between low end ebay converters, I moved this to BadDogKuzz's thread to continue this discussion on topic.

Let me have some info from you to help answer your questions. Is the E99 converter what your using in your F-350? Or do you have an E series van, or E series in-complete vehicle etc. with the noisy converter in it? I think your asking about an early 1999 converter in your 1999 F-350 crew cab dually with 2 wheel drive.

What horsepower mods will you be using with the new converter? Is the T 500 a Terminator high pressure oil pump for larger injectors? Basically list, all hp and chassis/tire mods you'll have, and what vehicle you have so I know we're on the same page.

Thank you Bill for getting back to me on these issues. And before I start I am sorry if I sound like a 3 yr old
"Why?? How?? Why??" But I am just in seach of understanding these 4R100 Torque Converters.

And too answer your question. My Early99 F350 2wd DRW has stock injector and all upgrades are only support modds. And after getting tunes I'll be lucky if I am 300hp. And what I am looking for out a t.c. is get a lower than stock stall speed and to lock up tight when towing without overheating. My issue is when I am pulling boats out of the water on boat ramp if I have to bring up the rpms too much the wheels spin and then it is all over for me.

To get back on subject can you please explain what you meant by "(Torque Converter)they already have end play that can't be reduced."

And before I go asking questions about how to solve the design flaws or weaknesses of the 4R100 Torque converters for diesels. I would really apperciate you sharing on what these design flaws and weaknesses are. Because finding a solution to a problem is only half the battle. I think it is sometimes harder to find the root of the problem.

And on a 99-03 4R100 6stud 7.3PSD torque converter in stock form what is the stall speed ?

Old 04-20-2012, 10:08 PM
Action4478
Hotshot
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Racer-X

Great info on the subject to this point .. Really great to have you here Racer ..

Old 04-21-2012, 12:10 AM
1L243
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I have a e 99 F350 7.3. I bought the truck in 2005 with 22k on it. At about 55k I noticed a rattle coming from under the truck. Overtime it got louder and louder. To the point where you almost could not talk next to the truck and forget abut a drive through and leaving the engine on. I took it to three transmission shops and they all said "that's just the way 99's are". I did some reading and found it was coming from the TC, something to do with loose springs when not in lockup. There is a TC lockup test you can do. Everyone described it like marbles in a tin can. I also read that a cracked flex plate could cause a loud noise as well. I contacted Ford and they put in a TC and a new flex plate per my request. Wow! I had a new truck. I should have done it years earlier. Can't believe I lived with that racket for so long. I looked into the super duper locker TC's and decided I did not want to put one of those on a stock transmission. It's been about
60k miles now and it's still quiet. I don't think there was a recall but Ford was replacing TC's in e 99's up to 5 years.

Old 04-21-2012, 10:32 AM
Smokiesman
Posting Guru
Hey Kuzz! give these guys a call ! The owner is a great talker and will answer all yer questions and build you a great billet TC ta boot!! Just tell them what you want to do!!
Smokie

R & R Torque Converters»

(828) 252-6361

89 Thompson St, Asheville, NC 28806

http://www.facebook.com/pages/R-R-Ra...92090590838516

Old 04-22-2012, 07:14 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Thanks Smokie but I am going to have T.C.T. they are local and I get to watch them build mine. Because I want to see first hand what went wrong with mine. And when I go with a rebuild on the trans I am thinking about a brand new one that will match the trans. I think RacerX has a some nice t.c. for a fair price. But I need to learn more before I drop a pretty penny on a new torque converter.

Now on a different note I had bought up the issue of TSB for Early99 torque converter Here it is and how to test for this issue. 99-3-5***NOISE - "RATTLING" NOISE FROM CONVERTER AREA - VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH 4R100 TRANSMISSION AND 7.3L DIESEL ENGINE ***TRANSMISSION - 4R100 - "RATTLING" NOISE FROM CONVERTER AREA - VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH 7.3L DIESEL ENGINE

Old 04-22-2012, 08:51 PM
Chipworkz
Tuned
Thanks for posting this TSB! So I am in a dilemma right now too. I don't have any issues with my transmission except I think I do have the noise in the TC as described. It has always sounded like that though. What else on the e99 transmission had problems other than the TC? Eventually I am going to have John Woods build one for me I believe but want to run this one as long as I can. I am trying to decided if I should replace the TC now before it goes out or if the stock e99 tranny isn't worth putting any more money into it.

I don't race it at all, I just pull heavy with it so if it is up to the task with a new TC, I would rather do that now. I just put in a new radiator and 6.0 cooler so I don't want to wast those just because the TC went out on me.

I have 106K on it now and as far as I know, it has always sounded like this. Did they do it from day one or is it something that developed over time?

Old 04-22-2012, 11:57 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Almost from day one. I was told with mine that there was no recall. Couple of years later, if you complained they would change it. Mine lasted till 133K and it just went out. You can flush those things out. But if you are towing heavy, I 'd replace it. The whole trans. They always go out at the worst time. All the transmissions are the same, except for diod ones in 2001 i believe. good luck,
Chet

Old 04-23-2012, 09:12 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,049 Posts
Originally Posted by Bonanza35
Almost from day one. I was told with mine that there was no recall.
There never was a recall for any torque converter problem. A noisy torque converter is not a safety or emissions problem, so by law there is no recall. Recalls can ONLY be done for safety or emissions problems.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:52 AM
Chipworkz
Tuned
So is the noise just noise from the design or is is metal hitting and a sign of impending failure?

Old 04-23-2012, 11:37 AM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Chipworkz
Thanks for posting this TSB! So I am in a dilemma right now too. I don't have any issues with my transmission except I think I do have the noise in the TC as described. It has always sounded like that though. What else on the e99 transmission had problems other than the TC? Eventually I am going to have John Woods build one for me I believe but want to run this one as long as I can. I am trying to decided if I should replace the TC now before it goes out or if the stock e99 tranny isn't worth putting any more money into it.

I don't race it at all, I just pull heavy with it so if it is up to the task with a new TC, I would rather do that now. I just put in a new radiator and 6.0 cooler so I don't want to wast those just because the TC went out on me.

I have 106K on it now and as far as I know, it has always sounded like this. Did they do it from day one or is it something that developed over time?
If you are thinking about a John Wood tranny, then I'd do it now. The labor (your physical labor and/or cash) to change the TC is about the same as to install the new tranny with the new TC at the same time (with the additional cost of a new transmission of course). When you are done just doing a TC, you still have a tranny that will give up the ghost at the worst possible time. When it does, the cooler becomes contaminated and more problems arise. It just seems to me that to drop the tranny to replace just the TC is false economy. I pull heavy with a JW tranny/TC and I have no worries at all.

Quick Reply: understanding 4R100 Torque Converter Problems