1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

1986 duraspark conversion 300 I6

Old 03-31-2012, 02:43 PM
vboxingguy
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1986 duraspark conversion 300 I6

Hi guys, ive been researching this on this form for years and collecting parts but the project got put on hold for a mini van. (had irish triplets,lol , twin girls then a year later a baby boy) any way i know this has been discussed on here a hundred times and currently i am still searching the forum, but i thought i would ask incase someone had the answer before i found it. the wiring harness i have only has 2 plugs on it. 1 to the distributer and one to the control module. but it looks like someone got to the harness before me and i have 4 open wires. 2 red, one red with a green strip, and a yellow one. all the other connections are there i think. coil, oil pressure ect. can i use this harness or should i just scrap it and try to find a new one? i am researching and looking at pics of diagrams but cant figure out these other 4 wires. there was also 2 purple wires with white stripes but were cut at both ends, didnt go to anything. not sure if those are needed either. thanks guys. any help would be appreciated. im trying to get this done before work on monday and will keep searching the forum also.

Old 03-31-2012, 05:15 PM
vboxingguy
Junior User
after further inspection of the harness, the red and yellow wire go to a plug (oil pressure?) the other red goes to the other connector(water temp?) and the red with green stripe goes to the coil. can i just cut of the plugs that are already in the truck and wire these to them or is it too much trouble and just get another harness? and i dont have or cant find the single green wire withe the plug on it that seems to be in all the pics ive seen.

Old 03-31-2012, 05:28 PM
Dorsai
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by vboxingguy
and i dont have or cant find the single green wire withe the plug on it that seems to be in all the pics ive seen.
I can't help you with the other aspects of your problem, but the green wire with the plug is your tachometer connection. If you don't have a tach, you won't miss that plug at all.

Old 03-31-2012, 05:39 PM
vboxingguy
Junior User
thanks for the responce. i dont have a tach but i think the truck has that plug. 1 wire goes is and 2 out. do you know if the were wired for it even if they didnt have a tach. thanks again.

Old 03-31-2012, 06:40 PM
Dorsai
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
thanks for the responce. i dont have a tach but i think the truck has that plug. 1 wire goes is and 2 out. do you know if the were wired for it even if they didnt have a tach. thanks again.
I'm fairly sure they were; my 1980 has no tach, but has the plug.

Old 03-31-2012, 09:35 PM
kedwinh
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Someone posted a wiring diagram awhile bad, I think it was over in the big 6 forum.
Try a search for DSII wiring harness.

Old 03-31-2012, 10:13 PM
vboxingguy
Junior User
i have been seaching all day. all the diagrams i found only show the wiring from the modual and distributer. i guess i could tear apart the harness on the truck and fallow the wires and see if i can figure it out that way. i just didnt want to disable my for too long.

Old 03-31-2012, 11:09 PM
kedwinh
Posting Guru
I searched and searched but can't seem to find it myself. But awhile back someone posted a wiring diagram for the DSII harness, for people that could not find one, so they could make there own. The plugs were available from NAPA from what I understand.
Maybe someone will jump in that remembers where to find it. Wish I could help more but mine has the TFI setup.

Old 04-01-2012, 10:31 AM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by kedwinh
I searched and searched but can't seem to find it myself. But awhile back someone posted a wiring diagram for the DSII harness, for people that could not find one, so they could make there own. The plugs were available from NAPA from what I understand.
Maybe someone will jump in that remembers where to find it. Wish I could help more but mine has the TFI setup.
I'll often use Google to find things here as it's sometimes better to use than the forum-supplied search thing.

Let me google that for you

Comes back with two pages of results, at least the top half of the first page of results seems to have some stuff that might help here (didn't look at later stuff).

OK, testing before posting this, the display looks to be truncated (but still works as designed).

What I typed at the end was "site:ford-trucks.com/forums" to search only FTE in the forums, not the entire Internet.

The "-alternator" removes results that would have been returned that have "alternator" in them.

Old 04-01-2012, 03:05 PM
JimsRebel
Fleet Mechanic
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
If you post photos of your DS2 harness I can help you sort it out.
Jim

Old 04-01-2012, 03:49 PM
kedwinh
Posting Guru
Thanks Chris, guess I'm going to have to start doing that. There's a lot of times I'll be looking for something with the search and can't find it, know it's probably me not the search. But searching Google hardly ever enters my pointed little head. You'd think having been in the computer industry for 20 years I would be able to understand these things a little better but, that was long before the internet.

Using Google works. Here's the wiring I was trying to find.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...?photoid=30751

Old 04-01-2012, 10:22 PM
vboxingguy
Junior User
thanks for the help guys, i think im narrowing it down. ive got 3 plugs on the truck, 1 is for the tach i dont have, so that leaves 2. one of the plugs from the truck plugs into the new module, that leaves 1 plug from the truck. there is 1 plug coming from the new harness that plugs into the other side of the module. so that leaves me 1 plug left on the truck side and 4 wires without a plug on the end on the wire harness side. i assume these go together , but since the plug was cut off , im not sure which wire goes where.

Old 04-01-2012, 10:53 PM
vboxingguy
Junior User
ok, how do i post the pic? lol.

Old 04-01-2012, 11:40 PM
vboxingguy
Junior User
Old 04-02-2012, 09:27 AM
JimsRebel
Fleet Mechanic
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
after further inspection of the harness, the red and yellow wire go to a plug (oil pressure?) the other red goes to the other connector(water temp?) and the red with green stripe goes to the coil. can i just cut of the plugs that are already in the truck and wire these to them or is it too much trouble and just get another harness? and i dont have or cant find the single green wire withe the plug on it that seems to be in all the pics ive seen.
You will only use 3 of the 4 cut wires. Water temp, oil press and the power feed to the coil positive.

So yes, you will have to cut into the engine side of your current harness (the 4 wire plug) and splice these 3 wires.

Or leave your current oil press and water temp wire and just splice the power to the coil. I would do this as it is only one butt splice and does not mess with the temp/press wiring. It will take a while to unwrap the tape to remove them from the current harness.

Jim

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1986 duraspark conversion 300 I6