Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Ford Vans and other vehicles > 1968-2013 Full Size Vans
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1968-2013 Full Size Vans Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-31-2012, 09:09 AM
New User

corey3377 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Leaking output shaft seal

Hello,

I have a 96' Ford Econoline with a leaking output shaft seal. I just bought this van a couple of weeks ago so I'm unsure of when this leak started. When I bought it, it was leaking fairly heavily from the oil pan as a few of the bolts were missing. I replaced the bolts and tightened the remaining ones and the oil leak stopped. Now that its nice and clean under there I noticed a small amount of ATF at the bottom of the seal where the slip yoke enters the tailshaft. Mechanic says no problem, we just need to replace the seal. After seal is replaced it leaks worse. He put in a second seal and the leak isn't as bad but still noticeable fluid on seal and a drop or two after shutting off vehicle.

When I bought this vehicle it had very worn leaf springs with one side having a cracked leaf, so I had them replaced. This lifted the rear end approximately 4 inches from how I recieved the van but appears to be about stock height. The drive angles seem fine, but I was curious if this could have something to do with the leak?

Now my mechanic wants to replace the output shaft bushing. When he took off the driveshaft he did seem to think there was a bit too much play in the output shaft as he had another guy at the shop feel it, both said it seemed fine but it they seemed questionable about its movement. Is this the next logical step to stopping my leak? Should something else be addressed, e.g. slip yoke replacement, u-joints, etc???

Thanks
Old 03-04-2013, 08:06 AM
New User

interstategar is starting off with a positive reputation.
leaking trans output shaft seal

I have a 2008 E350 with 438K miles on it mostly hwy driving. I have the same problem with a leaking output shaft leak. One tech says its a worn bushing. I will find out if that's the right diagnosos. The seal was replaced first but it still leaked. U-joints are fine. Tech will also check driveshaft.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:06 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Ford Vans and other vehicles > 1968-2013 Full Size Vans

Tags
2001, 2004, 4x4, f150, ford, leak, minor, output, pump, rear, replace, replacement, seal, shaft, show, small, supercrew, transmission