mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
I made it, now in ketchikan, AK!

Old 05-08-2012, 10:25 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ya sure picked some nice weather. Did you bring this S--t with ya?. When ya going to get on the Inner Island Ferry and come over to Prince of Whales?

Old 05-09-2012, 06:25 AM
zhilton
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Jeff, I can't speak for Mount Holley...but this morning it's 55F cool degrees. Not supposed to get above 80F here at the Fort. Just in case you were wondering how lovely it is back home.

Glad you made it to Palin-land. Hope the tranny seal is the only issue you have/had the entire trip.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:12 AM
tojoski
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mechmagcn
I made it, now in ketchikan, AK!
Congrats Jeff!

Speaking of Palin - land; Can you see Russia yet?

Old 05-09-2012, 10:05 AM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by zhilton
Jeff, I can't speak for Mount Holley...but this morning it's 55F cool degrees. Not supposed to get above 80F here at the Fort. Just in case you were wondering how lovely it is back home.

Glad you made it to Palin-land. Hope the tranny seal is the only issue you have/had the entire trip.
If they have an issues I got a 90 Ranger he can run for parts with.

Old 05-11-2012, 03:44 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Hey Guy's just an update. Jeff made it to Alaska and is camped just a few miles form me on Prince of Whales Island. We plan to meet in the morning. Woo Hoo!!! I can't hardly wait. My first live FTE'er ever. How cool is that? After talking on the phone I may need a translator though.

Old 05-13-2012, 02:48 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Originally Posted by arctic y block
After talking on the phone I may need a translator though.
We live in the same state with him and sometimes we think we need a translator at a GTG Though I've got a buddy that lives in Baton Rouge (Louisiana) and he has his moments that he's near impossible to understand....especially when LSU is getting it's butt handed to them by Alabama or Arkansas.

Old 05-13-2012, 04:15 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
We spent yesterday together. Got to show him around some. Was going to get with him this morning but life got in the way. Have to deal with dogs, kids and bugs. And the ex is sick so I may have to go help her cuz here ol' man wont. Kids in school tomorrow so I hope to hook up with Jeff and do some more site seeing and wet some lures.

Old 05-20-2012, 11:25 AM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Spent a week running around the island with Rich, nice guy and full of BS. On the AK ferry again headed for Petersburg, if I can figure out the problem with my laptop I'll post many more pics.
One of the things about camping on pow island is primitive camping, so there are no showers. I have a rig on my trailer, but it is still rough when it is 40* outside. The ferry has nice hot showers that are actually free

Old 05-20-2012, 05:17 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
I have a rig on my trailer, but it is still rough when it is 40* outside. The ferry has nice hot showers that are actually free
That smells like a great idea...don't want folks in Alaska getting the wrong idea about everyone from Arkansas.

Old 05-20-2012, 06:32 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Jeff smelled just fine all week. I did think he could use a hair cut though.

Hey Jeff ya should of stuck around a bit longer. We are pigging out on fresh Dungeness Crab and large side strip shrimp as I post this Bud.

Old 05-29-2012, 02:31 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Well the ferry rides are done, In Haines AK right now and headed for the border. Gotta cross part of BC and Yukon to get to the interior of AK. Not sure which route I'll take when I get there, guess I'll flip a coin when the time comes
More pics to come when and if I find another campground with Wi-Fi, but they are not really in my price range.
There's some of the most beautiful scenery in the world up here and some of the most friendly characters you could ever meet. I've talked to so many folks who said they came to visit 20-25 years ago and never went back.... sorta sounds like a plan.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:44 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
I've talked to so many folks who said they came to visit 20-25 years ago and never went back.... sorta sounds like a plan.
Jeff, I don't want this to come out the wrong way...but I say do it! It looks like beautiful country. From all the videos/photos I've seen of Alaska I've thought about it from time to time. The only thing that bothers me is I love what I do for a living...and I've talked to some fellow engineer's on the Alaska railroad. They've been telling me late spring, summer and early fall they work their tails off. Then when winter rolls around...those that don't have enough seniority to hold onto the work....get long vacations. Those "lucky enough to keep working" say the bone chilling temps are a pain (I won't use their exact adjectives) to work in when it comes to simple tasks. Add to that I'm married to this southern plains blonde who strongly dislikes snow and cold weather.

Old 05-29-2012, 11:09 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
I am one of the Guys that spent time with Jeff. I came here in March of "77" and never looked back. I was raised in North West Washington so this was about the same with a lot more wild life and no Law. It don't get any better.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:08 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Not real fond of the extreme cold or snow.... so maybe I need a cabin up here and become a "summer" Alaskan

Quick Reply: North to Alaska!