6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

Weird problem with my truck last week

Old 12-07-2011, 06:58 PM
RZAR
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weird problem with my truck last week

Last week I had a strange problem with the truck that was covered under warranty. Three times in 2 days my truck would not respond to the accelerator peddle. First time I was getting of the freeway and stepped on the accelerator and nothing, so then I floored it, nothing. Had to pull over to the side and all my truck would do was just idle. The next night same thing but happened twice, the last time the engine was backfiring thru the intake like it was way to lean or something. Felt like trying to drive an old car in cold weather with no choke. Took it to the dealer and they said it was the ECC? sensor. Has something to do with the drive by wire system. Anyone else have this happen to them?

Old 12-07-2011, 08:41 PM
Super08
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First I have heard on the 6.2 but I have seen posts of this happenning on other engines in past years. If it was just a bad sensor that should be the end of it.

Old 12-08-2011, 10:24 AM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I haven't seen that issue anywhere either, could be a one off issue. Glad they were able to get it fixed. It might be worth posting the part number in case anyone runs into a similar issue.

As for the drive by wire, I still can't get used to it. I hate how it responds (or doesn't I should say), there's too much delay between letting off the gas and the truck settling down. I sit in traffic alot on the way home from work so I usually drop it into M, then fluctuate between 2nd and 3rd so that the truck isn't shifting between 1-4 a bunch (less braking for me). If I'm sitting in 2nd, give it gas for a bit and immediately let up, it seems like it takes a few seconds for the truck to figure out, "oh hey, he let up on the throttle, we should probably cut the fuel"...

Old 12-08-2011, 10:31 AM
RZAR
Tuned
Originally Posted by 2000silverbullet
I haven't seen that issue anywhere either, could be a one off issue. Glad they were able to get it fixed. It might be worth posting the part number in case anyone runs into a similar issue.

As for the drive by wire, I still can't get used to it. I hate how it responds (or doesn't I should say), there's too much delay between letting off the gas and the truck settling down. I sit in traffic alot on the way home from work so I usually drop it into M, then fluctuate between 2nd and 3rd so that the truck isn't shifting between 1-4 a bunch (less braking for me). If I'm sitting in 2nd, give it gas for a bit and immediately let up, it seems like it takes a few seconds for the truck to figure out, "oh hey, he let up on the throttle, we should probably cut the fuel"...
Yep same here. Its just another way of car makers controlling how we drive our cars.

Old 12-10-2011, 11:14 AM
fg250
Elder User
seems like maybe a tuner would take care of this?

Old 12-10-2011, 11:57 AM
RZAR
Tuned
Originally Posted by fg250
seems like maybe a tuner would take care of this?
It would, but why should I have to buy a turner just to get my truck to do what I tell it to do. A simple throttle cable will do. Has worked in millions of cars for years.

Old 12-10-2011, 12:20 PM
fg250
Elder User
Originally Posted by RZAR
It would, but why should I have to buy a turner just to get my truck to do what I tell it to do. A simple throttle cable will do. Has worked in millions of cars for years.
Sorry, it was more of a joke than anything. Although I didn't really express that. I agree with you 100%.

Old 12-10-2011, 12:53 PM
kmonty2
Posting Guru
Yes you are correct that it should react the correct way, but the government has it's rules and they think they know what they are doing. I got the tuner from Mike at 5 Star, and it is well worth the money, make the truck act like it should.

I seem to have a problem with my truck but only when I first start it up and drive when it is cold outside, below 30 degrees. When I hit the gas it just stutters then takes off, almost like there is no fuel getting to the engine. Anyone else have this problem? Never had it after driving for about 1 min. just at startup and when it's cold out.

Old 12-10-2011, 01:08 PM
RZAR
Tuned
Sorry, it was more of a joke than anything. Although I didn't really express that. I agree with you 100%.
No worries. Just frustrated with unnecessary technology.

Old 12-10-2011, 01:48 PM
fg250
Elder User
Originally Posted by kmonty2
Yes you are correct that it should react the correct way, but the government has it's rules and they think they know what they are doing. I got the tuner from Mike at 5 Star, and it is well worth the money, make the truck act like it should.

I seem to have a problem with my truck but only when I first start it up and drive when it is cold outside, below 30 degrees. When I hit the gas it just stutters then takes off, almost like there is no fuel getting to the engine. Anyone else have this problem? Never had it after driving for about 1 min. just at startup and when it's cold out.
Sounds like maybe they've got the "choke" circuit set a little lean maybe? Also, how much are the tuners for these? I've got a spartan on my 6.4 but haven't researched the tuners for the new truck.

Old 12-10-2011, 01:51 PM
fg250
Elder User
Kevin, I also forgot to ask you if you noticed an improvement with the responsiveness mentioned above since the tune?

Old 12-10-2011, 01:52 PM
fg250
Elder User
Originally Posted by RZAR
No worries. Just frustrated with unnecessary technology.
I understand completely.

Old 12-10-2011, 04:09 PM
kmonty2
Posting Guru
Kevin, I also forgot to ask you if you noticed an improvement with the responsiveness mentioned above since the tune?
There is a big difference, mainly with the performance tune. The tow tune is good too. I am using the economy tune right now, it's hard to stay off the gas pedal when using the performance one.

Old 12-10-2011, 04:15 PM
fg250
Elder User
Originally Posted by kmonty2
There is a big difference, mainly with the performance tune. The tow tune is good too. I am using the economy tune right now, it's hard to stay off the gas pedal when using the performance one.
did you notice any mpg improvement with any of the tunes?

Old 12-10-2011, 04:46 PM
kmonty2
Posting Guru
did you notice any mpg improvement with any of the tunes?
No increase, but no decrease either, just a better feel of the power. Really wakes up the truck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Weird problem with my truck last week