Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Charcoal Vapor Canister Delete

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 06:59 PM
V10man
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Gas is almost $4 a gallon here. I want every last drop. Even if it is vapor. Speaking of vapor I hope you do something safe with the line. Gas goes BOOM real pretty like.

Old 03-31-2012, 07:48 PM
BrianDguy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DBGrif91
If this is just FUEL VAPOR, what exactly is the point of having the canister? Why couldn't the vent line run direct from the tank to the TB? And, further more, if this were the case, why would a purge valve solenoid be necessary? Why couldn't the canister and the purge valve be eliminated altogether and just have a line running straight from the tank to the TB?
The function of the canister is to store vapor to be used by the engine at a later time. The function of the purge solenoid is to allow the engine to use the vapor when told too by the computer. They cannot be bypassed in the manner you speak because engine vacuum would create negative pressure in the tank, and suck raw fuel into the engine.

Old 03-31-2012, 09:06 PM
DBGrif91
Cargo Master
Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by BrianDguy
The function of the canister is to store vapor to be used by the engine at a later time. The function of the purge solenoid is to allow the engine to use the vapor when told too by the computer. They cannot be bypassed in the manner you speak because engine vacuum would create negative pressure in the tank, and suck raw fuel into the engine.
Thank you for the simple & direct explanation. Rep point 4 you.

I did not know [or realize, because it seems an obvious problem] that the engine vacuum would cause that to happen.

Old 04-21-2015, 04:18 PM
DrZoom
Elder User
Just came across this thread and thought I'd resurrect it and add an interesting perspective. I am a chemist in the rubber industry, and a lot of what we make goes into gaskets. The reason the a lot of car companies are using charcoal canisters is because the acid that is formed when ethanol is burned causes the valve cover gasket and head gasket to harden and crack. My absorbing the vapors, the gaskets are being protected from acidic vapors. The original design may have been for environmental concerns, but it turns out that it is also necessary if you're burning ethanol diluted gas. On the other hand, if you go with FKM or HNBR gaskets, they are not susceptible to acidic hardening.

Old 04-21-2015, 05:55 PM
ncranchero
Postmaster

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Unhappy

So, does this affect condoms too?

My apologies. I just couldn't help myself.

Old 04-21-2015, 06:09 PM
DrZoom
Elder User
Originally Posted by ncranchero
So, does this affect condoms too?

My apologies. I just couldn't help myself.
Absolutely. Make sure you use modern FKM rubbers when you're jammin' it up the tail pipe. Might also want some heat tape, but that's a different issue.

Old 04-21-2015, 07:51 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 951 Likes on 755 Posts
If this is just FUEL VAPOR, what exactly is the point of having the canister? Why couldn't the vent line run direct from the tank to the TB? And, further more, if this were the case, why would a purge valve solenoid be necessary? Why couldn't the canister and the purge valve be eliminated altogether and just have a line running straight from the tank to the TB?
The fuel tank has to be vented otherwise the fuel pump won't be able to pull fuel from it, but if that vent is connected directly to the engine it will could pull too much at high vacuum and particularly when the tank is full and pull liquid fuel into the engine and cause a runaway or flooding problem. The charcoal canister and purge valve create a storage system and allow a controlled venting of vapor into the engine when conditions are favorable.. low vacuum.

Let's ignore the fact that eliminating them will trigger codes. I want to know what the practical effect on the engine is [performance or otherwise] if this were to be done. And I want to ignore the codes part because some pre-computer engines also have charcoal canisters, so for my part I am not concerned about the computer aspect of it.
If done properly eliminating the vapor collection system will have no effect on engine operation, but why would you.. this is fuel that will combust and make power so you would be just throwing away some of the value of each tank of gas and negatively affecting gas milage.

Old 04-22-2015, 10:11 AM
rugermack
Posting Guru
I paid $56 for my charcoal canister, from rockauto

Old 04-23-2015, 12:38 PM
OklahomaGreyBeard
New User
Had a 96 Cherokee that had not one, but two steel tanks implode because the yahoo owner before me bypassed the system and ran the vacuum line direct to the tank return line. Running down the highway at 70 and the thing dies, get out and am looking around under the hood and hear this loud bang and see fuel pouring out from under the back.

Second time around, I removed the entire fuel system on one from the scrapyard just to see what was different and found mine was missing the canister.

Old 12-19-2015, 06:30 PM
jiujitsustudent
Freshman User
I have a thought [AND IT SCARES THE HEEBIE JEEBIES OUTTA ME!!!!!], because I have been wondering about this as well.

Let's ignore the fact that eliminating them will trigger codes. I want to know what the practical effect on the engine is [performance or otherwise] if this were to be done. And I want to ignore the codes part because some pre-computer engines also have charcoal canisters, so for my part I am not concerned about the computer aspect of it.

Depending on the answers I am considering doing this to my 91 F150- and this could be an option for the OP as well.
Man oh man, "line running strait from tank to TB" really???? Man think about raw fuel running into your intake it's gonna be a little Rich. It does serve a purpose Ford spent a **** ton of r&d cash on that fancy black piece of plastic ****!! Mine is stalling and running like **** at a quarter tank and also won't fuel up prope rproperly. Needs to be a nitrous canister not charcoal maybe the truck would grow a set fuxkin gutless gas guzzling *****