6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

torque converter shot!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 12:00 PM
blue oval fan
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2ndStroke
Does it seem to shift better if you drive it harder? Mine has been giving me trouble when I'm driving slower in town, etc. Always shifts hard when its cold as well.
i think it does shift better the harder i drive it. but regardless of how i drive it when its cold. it shifts like crap! and not like it did when it was new at any point of the driving.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:05 PM
blue oval fan
Senior User
Originally Posted by cummins cowboy
BTW if my trans goes out under warranty a rebuilt trans is unacceptable to me and should be to you as well. they need to be breaking open a brand new crate open with a never used tranny in it. you would be surprised at how few people know how to correctly rebuild an automatic trans/

x3!! i bought a $60,000 truck off of them that is just a year old. i would not accept a rebuilt tranny in a brand new truck like that. if ford starts to treat me like they have other people on this forum, i wont be affraid to tell them to keep the truck and go to gm. i would HATE to have to do that because i love my ford, but if they cant take care of their customers then ill find an auto company that does. that is a lot of money for a person to spend on their product, just to leave them hanging when their product fails!

Old 04-03-2012, 05:33 PM
FONRDAY
Laughing Gas
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by blue oval fan
x3!! i bought a $60,000 truck off of them that is just a year old. i would not accept a rebuilt tranny in a brand new truck like that. if ford starts to treat me like they have other people on this forum, i wont be affraid to tell them to keep the truck and go to gm. i would HATE to have to do that because i love my ford, but if they cant take care of their customers then ill find an auto company that does. that is a lot of money for a person to spend on their product, just to leave them hanging when their product fails!
Chevy will treat you very poor no more tax dollars coming to pay for it!!!

Old 04-03-2012, 07:50 PM
Fontana
Senior User
Originally Posted by KC8QVO
Interesting thought. Makes sense, and mine does that all the time too. I never thought too much of it. Now, the hesitation when its cold has caught my attention, but it hasn't caused any problems and isn't there constantly (like driving all day its not there most of the time). From what I know there is a TSB for a transmission reflash/update, I just haven't got a square to taking it in.
I recall it being said that the transmissions will shift at higher points when it's cold so the engine will heat faster thereby heat works quicker. After the engine/trans temps reach a certain temp everything behaves as it should.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:52 PM
blue oval fan
Senior User
Originally Posted by FONRDAY
Chevy will treat you very poor no more tax dollars coming to pay for it!!!
haha this is true!!

Old 04-03-2012, 11:47 PM
cummins cowboy
Elder User
keep in mind that the dealership is likely not even rebuilding the trans themselves. most of the time and this goes for alot of repair shops they have a trans shop actually build the trans and they just R&R the part. I have worked for companies that ran fleets of vehicles and more often than not out of all the tranny rebuilds very very few of them ended up turning out alright in the end. most needed it done again shortly after and often times if the rebuilt trans failed while still under warranty the repair shop just beer canned and bailing wired it good enough to make it a few more months out of warranty. with as few of these 6 speeds trans out there I am not sure very many people even have done one.

its the same deal as my '07 mustang. I wanted 3.73 gears put in, took it to the local ford dealer, it took 2 different installs and gear sets and it still whined. took it to another shop they redid the install, still whined. I ended up having to replace the entire 3rd member with a new one to fix it. mechanics these days are parts changers and getting something as complex as an auto trans right or for that matter even a rear differential is asking too much. if my trans goes out, I will be there waiting for them to crack a crate open with a new one from ford.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:22 PM
consolidated
Freshman User
The dealer replaced my TC around 7K miles. The truck had a almost neck whipping pause and then very hard downshift when accelerating.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:08 PM
sloopdog1
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ford would not replace the transmission in my son's car with a new one, they had to rebuild the old one.New CASE,NEW INTERNAL PARTS,NEW VALVE BODY,ANOTHER NEW TC,about the only thing from the original was some retaining rings and bolts.The transmission lasted 125k miles then started shifting hard, son traded car off then.

Old 04-07-2012, 09:43 AM
blue oval fan
Senior User
well i just finally found time to get back on here and post the result of the TC replacement. truck shifts like a DREAM through every gear! like it did in day one when i bought the truck and i was so happy driving it home. however, it does still drop rpm in 3rd gear just before it does again to shift into 4th, but now it is a seamless transition and i do not feel the shutter at all. all was well until i hooked my cargo trailer up and was driving up town and accidently pulled out in front of a car so i floored it. made a NASTY vibration/grinding noise coming from the transmission area under the truck. took it back to the dealer and took the tranny tech for a ride. he tried saying that it was my truck not recognizing the off road tires i put on it. i said bull****! so i took it back, got another mechanic and took him for a ride in my truck and one of their new ones off the lot. he said it is my truck and it is not normal and he wants to make it right for me, so at least someone cares about their customers! he did say that if ford has to come look at the truck that he will need to switch out the tires, because ford too will say i need stock tires back on the truck. i cant believe i bought a $60,000 truck and i have to worry about what tires i put on the thing, unbelievable! ALSO the guy at the front desk said ford has updated their torque converter and flywheel, due to problems like mine in their 2012's. ford has a test out for the mechanics to use on their computer to plug into the truck to verify if the tc is good or not. so i will be returning monday with the truck and trailer to the dealer, he does want to put a set of stock tires off one of their new trucks on the lot on mine and see if it still makes the noise when i pull the trailer. i will be back to update you all after that!

Old 04-07-2012, 03:01 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow

Keep on them Blue Oval...at least they are willing to trouble shoot...and get you on the road again.

So...what size and type tires you running???

biz

Old 04-08-2012, 11:57 AM
blue oval fan
Senior User
Originally Posted by biz4two
Keep on them Blue Oval...at least they are willing to trouble shoot...and get you on the road again.

So...what size and type tires you running???

biz

they are toyo 295/65R20 i tried to get the closest size to stock in that tire.

Old 04-14-2012, 12:38 AM
derbystud
Freshman User
Good luck guys with getting a "crate" tranny. When we do get to install a complete tranny in its always a Ford rebuilt. But we have to do a cost cap on trannys and can never get above it so always have to rebuild or repair them unless parts are not available for them yet. Ford dealership techs DO rebuild them in house. Each shop has to have a tech certified to be able to work on the tranny under warrenty. Usually Ford has you just repair the parts that failed not overhaul the whole thing.

Old 04-14-2012, 11:00 AM
blue oval fan
Senior User
well i returned monday to the dealer to swap out my 20"wheels and tires for 20" wheels and stock tires off a truck on their lot. go figure, it still made the same nasty noise. dealer had to contact ford monday afternoon and im am still waiting for a response. its getting rather frustrating, i dont understand why it takes this long.

Old 04-14-2012, 01:42 PM
2ndStroke
Lead Driver
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by blue oval fan
well i returned monday to the dealer to swap out my 20"wheels and tires for 20" wheels and stock tires off a truck on their lot. go figure, it still made the same nasty noise. dealer had to contact ford monday afternoon and im am still waiting for a response. its getting rather frustrating, i dont understand why it takes this long.
I'm frustrated as well, 3 times in, they keep flashing my truck which helps for a couple weeks or so. My truck studders and slams in 3rd causing clunking noises now, but it doesn't do it that harsh all the time. At this point I have decided to stop bringing it in, eventually they will be putting a new tranny in when this one blows...sigh...

Old 04-16-2012, 06:23 AM
Barrie guy
Junior User
I have had the same problems with my 6.7 2011 F350DRW. I love the truck but the transmission has shifting problems. It shutters going up from 3rd to 4th and 5th to 6th when I have a load on it and hits hard when it comes back down, with ten thousand miles on it. The dealerhip has been excellent so far including sending out a mechanic on his day off to meet me on the Highway with his scan tools while my trailer was hooked up. It looks like the torque converter is failing according to the computer he hooked up. In a few weeks when I have time to get the truck into the shop I will update this thread with the outcome.
<!-- / message -->
<!-- controls -->