6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

BPD oil cooler questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 03:26 PM
Fordflanigan
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
BPD oil cooler questions

hey guys Im thinking about having the BPD external oil cooler put in along with their egr cooler. I just have a couple questions about it.
Are the filters easy to get at napa or oreilly's? or online? Or are they hard to find?
also some of the pictures I have seen have the cooler down by the fog lights, but on the installation instructions it looks like it goes up top behind the intercooler, is the bumper just an alternate location?
What happens to the stock filter? do you just leave it in place and never/rarely change it? Or is it completely bypassed?

From what I have read those of you who have this kit love it, anyone not like the kit?

I believe I have a failing stock cooler right now (coolant disappearing, its not the egr, not degas cap, and no visible leaks) and I figure I would just fix everything I can while the top end is apart including the egr cooler, stc fitting and oil cooler. Ill be having a shop do the work as this is way over my head lol

Old 03-30-2012, 05:00 PM
raptor131
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Fordflanigan
hey guys Im thinking about having the BPD external oil cooler put in along with their egr cooler. I just have a couple questions about it.
Are the filters easy to get at napa or oreilly's? or online? Or are they hard to find?
also some of the pictures I have seen have the cooler down by the fog lights, but on the installation instructions it looks like it goes up top behind the intercooler, is the bumper just an alternate location?
What happens to the stock filter? do you just leave it in place and never/rarely change it? Or is it completely bypassed?

From what I have read those of you who have this kit love it, anyone not like the kit?

I believe I have a failing stock cooler right now (coolant disappearing, its not the egr, not degas cap, and no visible leaks) and I figure I would just fix everything I can while the top end is apart including the egr cooler, stc fitting and oil cooler. Ill be having a shop do the work as this is way over my head lol
What year is your truck, it depends on where your power steering cooler is located as to the installation in mid 2006 ford made a change in the location of the power steering cooler and located it near the top latch. So if you have a late 2006 or 2007 it is located up top, their unit needs to go up top so for those years you need a 2003-2005 power steering cooler and relocate the power steering cooler to the bottom location. The filters they supply are carquest 85832. The stock oil filter assembly base is the old oil cooler and it is removed along with the standpipe, the new cooler base is just solid and the fuel filter stand sits on it so when you are done it looks stock but when you open the oil filter cap there is nothing in there. It could be used to store tools. Lmfao. Reminds me of when I took my truck to the dealer after I finished to get the a/c recharged. The look on the mechanics face when he opened the oil filter cap and there was no filter or anything in there was priceless.

Their instructions are online http://www.bulletproofdiesel.com/v/v...eries_0911.pdf

Last edited by raptor131; 03-30-2012 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Add instructions link
Old 03-31-2012, 03:10 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
The 85832 carquest filter is made by Wix which crosses to a 51832 and much easier to find. That's what I run on my truck since there are no carquest stores close to me.

Old 03-31-2012, 06:15 AM
raptor131
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by npccpartsman
The 85832 carquest filter is made by Wix which crosses to a 51832 and much easier to find. That's what I run on my truck since there are no carquest stores close to me.
Btw, I have yet to change my oil filter since the install, any tips or tricks, looking at the lines I was thinking maybe I have to swap them quick. Does the condenser start siphoning empty of oil when you pull the oil filter?

Old 04-01-2012, 04:50 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Originally Posted by raptor131
Btw, I have yet to change my oil filter since the install, any tips or tricks, looking at the lines I was thinking maybe I have to swap them quick. Does the condenser start siphoning empty of oil when you pull the oil filter?
I cut the bottom out of a gallon milk jug with a screw on top so I could catch the oil filter and oil that comes out. You will get some oil out of the condensor but not all of it comes out AFAIK. If you don't catch it in something oil will run down the inside of the bumper and airdam and make a huge mess. It usually takes me about 17 quarts to do a complete oil and filter change but I only do the filter every other change--about 10K miles.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:43 AM
Fordflanigan
Senior User
thanks raptor that pretty much answered my questions. The truck is an 06 and i took a look at it and the ps cooler is up top, so now i wont have to question why the shop charged me for a 2003 ps cooler lol.
I just googled the Wix part number and those filters are pretty cheap, alot cheaper than the motorcraft stock filters, thats a plus

thanks again guys, time to call the shop now and get it set up.

Old 04-03-2012, 02:39 AM
Snuggyworm
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
to the OP, might u be talking about the coolant filter, since the locations by the intercooler or fog light area seems like common places to put the coolant filters. jus curious and putting in my 2 cents.

Old 04-03-2012, 04:32 AM
Fordflanigan
Senior User
Originally Posted by Snuggyworm
to the OP, might u be talking about the coolant filter, since the locations by the intercooler or fog light area seems like common places to put the coolant filters. jus curious and putting in my 2 cents.
no i dont have a coolant filter (yet). When I went on google images i saw several pictures of oil coolers being mounted in the bumper area which is why I was curious if thats where they had to be mounted.

Old 04-03-2012, 04:35 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

no i dont have a coolant filter (yet). When I went on google images i saw several pictures of oil coolers being mounted in the bumper area which is why I was curious if thats where they had to be mounted.
That's the bumper mount option. What you want is the condensor mount option. I don't know if they even produce the bumper mount option anymore.

Old 04-03-2012, 04:39 AM
Snuggyworm
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow. i'm glad i joined in. i'm learning some more. thanks for clearing tat up, guys.

Old 04-03-2012, 04:43 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

thanks raptor that pretty much answered my questions. The truck is an 06 and i took a look at it and the ps cooler is up top, so now i wont have to question why the shop charged me for a 2003 ps cooler lol.
I just googled the Wix part number and those filters are pretty cheap, alot cheaper than the motorcraft stock filters, thats a plus

thanks again guys, time to call the shop now and get it set up.
I'm a little confused about the 03 ps (power steering???) cooler part?

Old 04-03-2012, 06:27 AM
raptor131
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by npccpartsman
I'm a little confused about the 03 ps (power steering???) cooler part?
Note on Power Steering Coolers:
In Mid 2006 Ford made a mounting location change to the power steering cooler. The power steering cooler on 2003- early 2006 models is in the lower position, at/near the bottom of the radiator. In the late 2006-2007 models, the power steering cooler has been located up near the hood latch, near the top of the radiator.
Here you can see the power steering cooler in the lower position, near the bottom of the radiator.
If you have the high-mounted power steering cooler, the condenser mounted BPD Engine Oil Cooler will require you to relocate your power steering cooler to the lower position.
To do this you will need a new power steering cooler (the 2003-2005 version) as well as the hoses from the same model years. These parts are listed on BulletProofDiesel.com and are shown here:
Power Steering Cooler: 2003-2005, P/N 6000039
Power Steering Hose Assembly, P/N 6000038 for F250 and F350 Power Steering Hose Assembly, P/N 6000072 For F450 and F550

He needs a pre-2006 steering cooler to relocate it to the bottom

Old 04-29-2012, 10:19 PM
Fulthrotl
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just did the whole thingie on my E-350... oil and EGR, from BPD.

they just came out with a kit for the econoline... it's different, 'cause
the oil filter is located under the engine on the drivers side from the
factory, so the kit is quite a bit different....

short version is, it works, well. oil temp sits at 180-185
water temp sits at 190-195
tranny is at 165

i'm running a banks IQ at +100hp/+150 lbs tq, and vehicle weight
is 10,500#

the one thing, if you are gonna do this thing, is to consider doing
head gaskets and head studs by ARP. do you want to rip this whole
thing apart, and do it again a year later?

with a van, it's worse, the labor is horrific, and that is why i opted
to do the heads and put stellite valve seats in, and fresh OEM
head gaskets, and a stud kit.

total cost for a van, doing all that, and some other bits and pieces
like water pump, etc, was right at $10,000 for the whole thing.

was it worth it? yeah, considering the replacement costs of
my work vehicle, which was paid for... i'd a dropped $70k
into a F-350 with a walk in service body. at this point, i'm in
for $10k, and it should run as long as i need a work vehicle.