1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Sliding Rear Window

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 01:39 PM
fire3110
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sliding Rear Window

I want to replace my current rear window with a quality sliding rear window that won't rattle or leak. The local glass shop told me that there is only one company that makes the window for the 80-96 truck. I find this hard to believe but I guess anything is possible. Is this true, and if not what reccomendations are out there? Looking for something with good quality...

Old 03-30-2012, 03:08 PM
Archion
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would just grab an OE one from a salvage yard, they are easy enough to get out. and it fits the entire spread.

Old 03-30-2012, 05:43 PM
billabongboy73
Senior User
I purchased mine thru LMC some years back and it is made by C.R. Laurence. I think JC Whitney and a few other places sell the same one. There just might be one company making them for our year trucks.

Old 03-31-2012, 02:04 AM
kedwinh
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fire3110
I want to replace my current rear window with a quality sliding rear window that won't rattle or leak.
That's why I replaced mine with a regular rear window, no slider. Plus it makes it a little safer and not as easy to break into. Picked the window up from the local junkyard for $40 and tinted it myself.

Old 03-31-2012, 06:36 AM
BigPip
New User
I got my rear slider from the junkyard too, there were about 5 to choose from since they fit so many years of these trucks. the windows had tinted glass not the film and it looks brand new. No Noise or sloppyness.

Be careful buying the window seal though- LMC sells 3 seals, 1 for non-slider window and 2 for sliders depending on year or truck. Since my window was an aftermarket slider I had to buy the non-slider seal buy LMC don't tell you that.

Old 03-31-2012, 08:43 AM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by BigPip
Be careful buying the window seal though- LMC sells 3 seals, 1 for non-slider window and 2 for sliders depending on year or truck. Since my window was an aftermarket slider I had to buy the non-slider seal buy LMC don't tell you that.
How is LMC supposed to know what seals you need in order to be compatible with your aftermarket parts? How are they supposed to know what aftermarket parts are compatible with what factory parts? How is it LMC's obligation to tell you any of this?

Old 03-31-2012, 09:39 AM
rbalsinger
Senior User
Originally Posted by ctubutis
How is LMC supposed to know what seals you need in order to be compatible with your aftermarket parts? How are they supposed to know what aftermarket parts are compatible with what factory parts? How is it LMC's obligation to tell you any of this?
Had your coffee yet?

Old 03-31-2012, 01:02 PM
emgee
Tuned
I bought an aftermarket slider (cheap) at a swap meet that was manufactured by Prestige Aluminum Products. It did not fit well and required much more sealing than the upper corners as recommended by Ford. The OEM slider windows have a thicker rubber moulding larger frames and IMO better drainage through the slider channels.
I'm now looking for a Ford unit at the yards. Whatever you decide to do make sure your cab roof seams are up to snuff before you install the new unit.

Old 03-31-2012, 02:57 PM
BigPip
New User
Cool

Originally Posted by ctubutis

Edited - removed profanity

Who the hell cares what LMC says or doesn't say, I was just trying to help someone out, isn't that what a forum is for.

Last edited by SteveBricks; 03-31-2012 at 05:48 PM. Reason: Removed masked profanity
Old 03-31-2012, 03:53 PM
81-F-150-Explorer
Post Fiend
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by BigPip
I have seen MANY post by this guy and I have thought what a **** but I had it all wrong... he is a **** ********!

Who the hell cares what LMC says or doesn't say, I was just trying to help someone out, isn't that what a forum is for.
Since he is the moderator of this forum, I would use more tact, than you used there.

Old 03-31-2012, 05:50 PM
cliffordingles
Senior User
To be honest Chris is a genius on this forum. He has helped me in the past and still he provides correct trouble shooting with my problems while im in Afghanistan.

Just because your on the internet does not mean you have the right to act like that. Chill out!!!

Old 03-31-2012, 09:38 PM
kedwinh
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by cliffordingles
To be honest Chris is a genius on this forum. He has helped me in the past and still he provides correct trouble shooting with my problems while im in Afghanistan.

Just because your on the internet does not mean you have the right to act like that. Chill out!!!
X2 on that. He seems to be one of several the board that know what they're talking about, and usually very helpful. You may not like the way he said it but what he said was right, how would LMC know what aftermarket parts your using?

And on a different note, cliffordingles, that you for your service, keep your head down and hurry home brother.

Old 04-01-2012, 07:35 AM
82f100460
Posting Guru
I had bought an aftermarket slider many, many years ago and had very good luck with it. No idea what brand it was.

Goes to show you I guess....some aftermarket parts are better then others.

Old 04-01-2012, 10:17 AM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Well, this one came out wrong, I can see that.

Thanks to all the guys who support me! One of the problems with writing is that there isn't any tone of voice or facial expressions to help convey the feeling or emotion; it's only written words that can sometimes be misconstrued or stated badly, I'm sorry if I said that wrong and offended somebody.

LMC Truck was being slammed for not providing information about what parts can be combined with what other parts in any particular installation or configuration, and I was wondering how one can expect a parts retailer to provide that kind of information. Maybe I could have made it a statement instead of a question.

Even if LMC did offer that, could you rely on it? Are you willing to pay the significant research & staffing costs involved in supplying that? How many people do you think would blame LMC for their problems when they can't get something to fit that LMC claimed will work?

About the profanity and name-calling, I'll pretend I didn't see that. There are worse things in life than somebody on the Internet not liking you.

If you don't like me, that's fine, feel free to go elsewhere.

Old 04-01-2012, 12:11 PM
WD4B
Junior User
I plan on doing a swap from a solid to a slider, and the slider will be coming from a JY. I'm not going to pay big bucks for a new aftermarket peace when I can get like-new OEM.

Quick Reply: Sliding Rear Window