CD changer and head unit compatability

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2003, 12:20 PM
dansbrother
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2000 F150 with a factory single disc changer. I would like a disc changer (not in dash), and I don't care what my head unit is - radio only, cassette, cd, or cassette and cd. I just want to ensure that it will be compatable with and control the changer.

I went to a stereo shop, and they told me that I need a new head that would be compatable with a changer, and recommended a non-Ford changer. I don't care about the changer, but I want a Ford in-dash unit. That solution was very expensive, and used all refurbished components.

Then I went to another shop which actually does the repairs for the Ford service stations around town. They said that my stock single disc changer will control a disc changer. They also said it was compatable, and will use the special wiring harness.

Who is right? Do I need a new head unit, or can I keep mine and just get the Ford changer and wiring harness?

Also, where can I get brackets/shelves for my center console?

Old 04-29-2003, 02:35 PM
PrPlayboy
Elder User

If the other shop said it can be done then find out there return policy and give it a try if they promise to take the stuff back if it doesn't work. You might even be able to upgrade your radio with ford for the in dash 6 if it will fit.

Old 04-30-2003, 08:27 AM
ricki621
Freshman User

Your existing radio will control a Ford 6 disc Cd changer. Look at the station buttons on the radio and the select up and down. The select should say "discs" and there should be a "shuffle" function on I believe button six. You will need a connecting cable that runs from the back of the radio directly to the changer. These cost about $44 delivered from a shop I deal with regularly. There are two different length cables, depending on where you want to mount the changer. On EBay You can get a BRAND NEW Genuine FORD CD changer for $210. also delivered. It is a simple task to install, and for about $250 total you are all set. Keep this in mind.... when you sell trade this vehicle, you could easily remove these items and re-sell them and recover a lot of your investment, so it is not a big expenditure. EMail me if in doubt, I can help further. ricki621(No Email Addresses In Posts!) .

Old 05-01-2003, 02:45 AM
ltkyler
New User
Thumbs up CD changer and head unit compatability

ricki621 is right,

I had the same cd player on my 2001 Mazda B4000. I was able to buy a cable off the net for about $36 (not sure where from) and bought a used CD changer off of ebay for about $150 and installed it in the explorer center console that I had put in.

Just to satisfy yourself...if you hit the CD button twice it'll say "NO DJ" in the display. This is how you'll turn the changer on and off when you put it in.

Bill

Old 05-05-2003, 03:21 PM
Bwalk3
New User

I bought a head unit, cable and 6 disc changer from a guy on e-bay to put in my wife's 2002 F- 150. The cable connector does not match the back of the head unit connections. Someone mentioned Ford has an amp installed for the premium sound systems and that is where the cd changer cable connects. I was also told at the Ford dealership that the single disc head unit would control a 6 disc changer. I plan on mounting this one under the back seat. If you run across that amp when you install yours let me knwo where it is located because so far I cannot find it . Good luck.

Old 05-06-2003, 07:32 AM
ricki621
Freshman User

It sounds like you have got the wrong cable. The proper cable will "T" into the rear of the stock radio without needing to acess the amp. Contact Bill at www.radiosandmore.com . They are very knowledgeable about car audio.

Old 05-06-2003, 03:57 PM
Bwalk3
New User
Thumbs up CD changer and head unit compatability

ricki621,
You were correct and Bill sent me the correct cable number. Good on you!!!

Bob

Old 05-06-2003, 05:46 PM
dansbrother
New User

Can someone make me 100% sure that my unit (from the first post in this thread) will work? I just took the unit out to fix a display problem, and noticed that the back does not have any free connections for another cable. There are 2 plugs that go into the back right now, and it looks like there is a place holder for another connector that just isn't there.

Is this where the CD changer would plug into? Does the CD changer plug replace the current plug? What are all the additional contacts on the cable and connector for right now, if the CD changer cable replaces it?

Old 05-06-2003, 05:53 PM
Bwalk3
New User

dansbrother,
This is what I got from Bill at Radios and More:

" Robert,
> Sure..The changer harness is like a big "X", You unplug the radio harness from the radio, plug it into the matching connectors on the changer harness, then, plug the remaining connectors back into the radio. It just goes between the the vehicle harness and the radio.
> Hope that helps...
> Bill

I hope this helps you, he also sent me a link to a photo of the harness http://www.radiosandmore.com/prod_de...=xu3f-14588-da

Robert

Old 05-10-2003, 11:36 AM
Bwalk3
New User

OK, I just installed a FORD 6 Disc CD changer in my 2001 F 150 Supercrew. It connects to the AM/FM single CD stereo with the harness I mentioned in the previous reply just fine. You control the CD selection with the Select Button (not the numbered buttons on at the bottom, they do control the COMP/SHUFFLE etc..) You can even put a single CD (but you must eject it to get the 6 CD changer to play) in the stereo so it is actually a seven CD player . I hope this helps everyone with the question of "will a Ford OEM single CD player control a Ford OEM 6 disc cd changer?" The answer is yes.

Robert

Old 05-10-2003, 11:22 PM
ricki621
Freshman User

Hi; Glad to see that you got it worked out. Actually you dont have to eject the disc from your single to run the changer. Simply press the "CD" button and it will change from the in unit disc to the "DJ" and play the cd changer's discs. The radio pre-set buttons will also change disc numbers accordingly, or you could use the "select" button to go in a numerical sequence. Also try using the "COMP" feature when playing back CDs.