6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Intercooler Boot Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 02:40 PM
H2oSprayer
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Intercooler Boot Question

Hey guys....In preparation for at 2500 mile trip pulling our camper next week, I was changing my oil/oil filter and fuel filters and I noticed an oil spot on my intercooler boot heading into the turbo. The only thing I can figure is that there is a hole in the boot and oil is blowing out of it; does that sound feasible? Is changing out the boot something that I should worry about before my trip or is it something that is fine to leave until we return? If I can wait till we return, I'll probably order the parts for Riffraff, which would be the correct item to order --> Riffraff Diesel Performance Parts: - Intercooler Boots

Thanks for the help!!

Old 03-29-2012, 03:01 PM
phantomphixer
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
H2oSprayer,
If I knew I was going to pull that far and had the time to order/change mine, I would change them. You'll definitly know it when it let's go. You'll swear it's a blown tire. You're probably like me and would let it bug you until you change it. If you got the cash, get it done. Be advised that the clamps ARE NOT metric. 7/16" deepwell

Old 03-29-2012, 03:10 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by phantomphixer
Be advised that the clamps ARE NOT metric. 7/16" deepwell
11mm takes mine off, they're the same thing.

Old 03-29-2012, 04:12 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you've got the money I say order 'em and see what Clay will charge you for express shipping. I've got one that looks like that currently...and it hasn't popped. Though I do have the replacements sitting the shop waiting on me.

I'd also go ahead & replace the boot clamps while your there. You could hold on to the old ones for "just in case" on the side of the road.

Old 03-29-2012, 04:16 PM
wulfman
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Look at it this way if it comes off on your trip you can put it back . If the side blows out then your stuck as in not going anywhere . Take brake clean and hair spray with you if your not going to replace it.

Old 03-29-2012, 04:34 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
The correct boot would be the Turbo Outlet boot. This one:
Riffraff Diesel: RDP 6.0L Turbo Outlet Elbow CAC Boot

But I'll tell you, mine was oily on the outside just like that for years and it never blew a hole. It did blow off on me, but that was right after a tech had it off for something else and didn't use a new clamp. I would bet that it will be fine for your trip and you don't need to rush getting one. I always carry an extra clamp, and that came in handy recently.

If I were you, I would wait and buy the whole set from Riffraff when you get back. Get the metal cold side pipe if you don't already have it.

Old 03-29-2012, 05:54 PM
H2oSprayer
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bpounds
If I were you, I would wait and buy the whole set from Riffraff when you get back. Get the metal cold side pipe if you don't already have it.
Thanks for the info guys. I'm still learning the correct terminology of things, to please bear with me. I'm gonna step out an a limb and think that the metal cold side pipe would be where the green arrow as it leads from the air filter, correct? I didn't see a part on Riffaffs site that looked like it. I am still under warranty; if I swap out the cold side pipe to a metal one, could there be any warranty issues down the road?

As far as the brake cleaner and the hair spray; I believe the brake cleaner would be to clean the metal pipe of any oil / residue and the hair spray? Is the hair spray used to make the inside lip of the rubber boot tacky?

Is there a specific ft/lbs that the clamps should be torqued to, or is it more of a snug them as tight as I can kind of thing? Again....Thanks for the help guys!!

Old 03-29-2012, 06:33 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by H2oSprayer
Thanks for the info guys. I'm still learning the correct terminology of things, to please bear with me. I'm gonna step out an a limb and think that the metal cold side pipe would be where the green arrow as it leads from the air filter, correct? I didn't see a part on Riffaffs site that looked like it. I am still under warranty; if I swap out the cold side pipe to a metal one, could there be any warranty issues down the road?

As far as the brake cleaner and the hair spray; I believe the brake cleaner would be to clean the metal pipe of any oil / residue and the hair spray? Is the hair spray used to make the inside lip of the rubber boot tacky?

Is there a specific ft/lbs that the clamps should be torqued to, or is it more of a snug them as tight as I can kind of thing? Again....Thanks for the help guys!!
No, that is the turbo intake. The metal pipe I'm talking about runs from the intercooler outlet up to the manifold intake elbow. The originals were plastic, and they break easily. The Ford replacement is aluminum and the boot is different between the pipe and the intake elbow. Riffraff has the whole thing with boots.

The hairspray is just a low tech adhesive to help the boot stick. You don't really need it if everything is clean and dry, but it is a helper on the side of the road.

The clamp torque is printed right on the clamp. But to be honest, I don't use a TW. I just collapse the spring and call it a day. Definitely NOT as tight as you can LOL.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:32 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The black tube in the lower right corner of the photo...connects to the elbow that sits right behind the plastic radiator flare. The '03 and '04 trucks had aluminum pipes in that location. I know the '05 & '06 have plastic...not sure on the '07.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:53 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
'07s were plastic.

Original 03-04 replacement part:
Riffraff Diesel: Driver Side Metal Intercooler CAC Tube Kit

OP: right in front of your oil filter (the bigger black plastic cap), the intake elbow is the metal right angle. The black plastic tube that comes off it and disappears under the air filter is the cold side of the CAC that the part in the link I posted replaces.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:57 AM
eagleinms
Senior User
Originally Posted by H2oSprayer
Hey guys....In preparation for at 2500 mile trip pulling our camper next week, I was changing my oil/oil filter and fuel filters and I noticed an oil spot on my intercooler boot heading into the turbo. The only thing I can figure is that there is a hole in the boot and oil is blowing out of it; does that sound feasible? Is changing out the boot something that I should worry about before my trip or is it something that is fine to leave until we return? If I can wait till we return, I'll probably order the parts for Riffraff, which would be the correct item to order --> Riffraff Diesel Performance Parts: - Intercooler Boots

Thanks for the help!!
Mr. Fireman, From the pic's I am saying that is the outlet hose from the turbo to the CAC tube going to the Air Cooler. Just above that hose is the connection to the turbo oiler. It provides oil to the bearings in the turbo housing. Please, before you leave, check the oil tube and connection at the turbo and make sure the oil is not coming from the oiler. You would see some sign of oil leaking at the bottom. A roasted bearing would be major trouble. If not the oiler, take the trip, enjoy yourself, replace hose and clamps when you get home. ALSO, a radiator hose with an elbow and old clamps would get you home if it blows while traveling. BEEN there, DONE that, Good Luck and God Bless
Eagleinms

Old 07-13-2012, 05:15 PM
KingRanch2004
New User
My turbo hose just recetly blew off twice. I am looking for a hose that will NOT come off. What a pain is the a$$ tgat will be if i have to always worry about that or keep changing them. Suggestions on hoses?

Old 07-13-2012, 05:27 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,478 Likes on 1,718 Posts
So many people and posts recommending RiffRaff boots ................. for a reason I might add! Good choice H2oSprayer! Clay is a VERY helpful vendor!

Old 07-13-2012, 11:54 PM
Ian123
Posting Guru
I wouldn't worry about replacing the plastic cold side pipe unless you actually have a problem with it. The boots on the hot side are definitely a good idea though. I bought the RiffRaff boots and like them. The clamps have to be tighter than you think, but not as tight as you can go. I actually had even the RiffRaff boots blow off on me once because I didn't have the clamps tight enough. I checked them with a torque wrench had to go way tighter than I originally had them.

Old 07-14-2012, 08:49 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
When your torquing something that is spring loaded you can't go by feel. It'll bite you most every time. Use a torque wrench.

Quick Reply: Intercooler Boot Question