Sponsored by: DP Tuner

turbo oil leak and intercooler question

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 01:37 PM
tgarrisoniv
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
turbo oil leak and intercooler question

ok so in the picture you can see oil on the right of the turbo. where is this coming from? i have an oil leak from the bottom but that is just the pedestal o-rings.

also, there is an airleak from the top of the turbo to intercooler connection. i have tried to tighten the crap out of this clamp and broke one actually. Can the disk that spins in there be welded on the outside and reattached or is there another route? (besides an entirely new uppipe...)

thanks for any help!

Old 03-29-2012, 02:12 PM
stemo76
Senior User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My guess its being pulled in from the crank case vent that goes into that black tube. Then puddles up at the turbo and leaks out when the truck is off. If you search around there are kits to alter the way the crank case vents to avoid this type of problem.

Its hard to tell from the picture but it could also be diesel fuel then covered in dirt. I had a leaky fuel bowl valve once and I could see how it would blow back there.

Old 03-29-2012, 02:20 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Here's my 2 cents.

Welcome to .

For starters:

Crankcase vapors are routed directly to the turbo intake via the CCV (Crankcase Ventilation) and pass through it and the entire Intercooler (IC) system.

These vapors condense into oil and given time will leak past even a propery tightened intake tube or IC boot. It is normal if not excessive. This is why some do the CCV Mod.

Excessive leaking:

As for the oil leak at the turbo intake check the tightness of the intake tube clamp and also check for a crack on the underside of the intake tube. I've seen that more than once.

Leaks at the IC and IC tubes can also be caused by holes or splits in the boot which no amount of clamp tightening will fix.

The clamps should only be tightened to about 35 lb/ft and, as you found out, not to the breaking point.

FYI: The CCV is the hose that runs from the doghouse shaped collector on the top of the driver side valve cover to the underside of the intermediate coupler joining the air box outlet tube to the turbo intake tube.

Best thing to do first is to clean up all the grime from the oil leaks. Remove the IC boots and check that they are intact. If ok clean them inside and out. Also clean the IC and IC tubes where the boots connect. Put it all back together and concentrate on any leaks that start to appear.

IC system charged air leaks will cause boost leaks and adversely affect performance and MPG.

There will be further ideas coming from others but this is a start.