Sponsored by: Moser

why doesnt my truck run right?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 10:13 AM
darkpurp1e
Senior User
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
why doesnt my truck run right?

it seems like its a new thing every week. i timed it, it ran good for a week, carb accel pump wasnt working, so i rebuilt the carb. ran good for a couple days, now it seems like the same damn problem, its like a hesitation like when the accelerator pump was bad just not as severe. and its only under load. my accelerator pump is pumping just as it should i dont know what else it is since i just cleaned and rebuilt the carb 2 days ago, unless my fuel filter could be plugged up? what do you suggest? what could be the problem

Old 03-21-2012, 11:36 AM
gfw1985
Cranky Old Guy
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If it has a screw in filter on carb definatly change that. Change any others while you're at it. Check vacuum line to distributor, vacuum leaks, especially since you just had it off. Don't think the filters will your problem though, with it only happening under load.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:14 PM
ChiefM
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
My truck was doing the same thing, seems the spring on the adjust screw was worn and it would wiggle out after a little while, also the bolt for the timing was loose and it would move under acceleration.

Old 03-22-2012, 06:38 AM
darkpurp1e
Senior User
im not running any vacuum advance because it seems to advance way too much, ive tried with it and without it and i have the same problem, i have no vacuum leaks either ive tested for vacuum with a gauge.

Old 03-22-2012, 06:45 AM
darkpurp1e
Senior User
im using an old screw on filter as an in line cus its all i had, but i just remembered dont the carb to intake gaskets blow out a lot on the edlebrock performer 400. someone told me there was a spacer for it that prevented it from happening, which i dont have. ill throw it on the vacuum gauge again see what i get maybe just check that gasket

Old 03-22-2012, 07:18 AM
fmc400
MSEE
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by darkpurp1e
im not running any vacuum advance because it seems to advance way too much, ive tried with it and without it and i have the same problem, i have no vacuum leaks either ive tested for vacuum with a gauge.
All street engines need to run a vacuum advance. What do you mean it "seems to advance too much?" Is the engine pinging at cruise? That's another problem that simply gets revealed by the vacuum advance - the vacuum advance is not the actual problem.

If you did not replace the fuel filter when you rebuilt the carburetor, you must do that.

What did the vacuum gauge say? There are few situations where the engine can have a healthy vacuum reading, but run poorly - unless the issue has zero interaction at idle (which doesn't sound like it's the case if it's off-idle that the issues shows up).

Old 03-23-2012, 07:04 AM
darkpurp1e
Senior User
what i mean is that its advancing more than 60 degrees under load and it does start pinging under load. and i just set the timing to 10 degrees advanced. I've been told 60 degrees is way too much, and I've been running this truck with no vacuum advance since i got this truck and with ones before it, I've never had a problem until now. i haven't had the time to look at it yet this week, but i will this weekend, i will let you know what vacuum is and if i find a solution, till then any other suggestions are welcome

Old 03-23-2012, 07:15 AM
darkpurp1e
Senior User
well more than 60 degrees revving the engine up with no load,

Old 03-23-2012, 07:24 AM
OldStyle
Rusty Roller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by darkpurp1e
well more than 60 degrees revving the engine up with no load,
Time for a new Vac Adv canister. Yours has a failure in the total advance stop mechanism inside.... It is going to a ported connection on the carb though; right?

Old 03-24-2012, 10:26 AM
darkpurp1e
Senior User
one would think that... thats what i thought int the first place so i bought a whole new distributoor because i went through this problem once thinking that before, are tyou certain that that is the only cause for that problem to happen? its 60+ degrees revving the engine up in park

Old 03-24-2012, 10:38 AM
darkpurp1e
Senior User
what is a normal amout of advance? could i be getting too much vacuum? i have edelbrock performer 400 intake and performer carb

Old 03-24-2012, 10:43 AM
darkpurp1e
Senior User
and this is a 79 f250 400 btw

Old 03-24-2012, 11:41 AM
gfw1985
Cranky Old Guy
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Here is a link regarding initial timing, curving, vacuum and total advance if you would like to read:
Carbed Ford Message Board :: View topic - The Ultimate Duraspark Ignition Timing Guide

Old 03-24-2012, 01:04 PM
OldStyle
Rusty Roller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gfw1985
Here is a link regarding initial timing, curving, vacuum and total advance if you would like to read:
Carbed Ford Message Board :: View topic - The Ultimate Duraspark Ignition Timing Guide
Very good info! I never knew that up to 60* might be acceptable....

From the post/article:
Vacuum advance is tricky to tune because there is no direct measurement like total. In fact, the reason you must measure initial and total timing with the vacuum hose disconnected is because when the engine is in neutral there no load, thus the vacuum is high, and if the hose were connected you'd see as high as 60 degrees advance and think something is really wrong! The only way to tune vacuum advance is on the road, by feel, and AFTER the initial and total are adjusted.
Thanks gfw 1985! I always thought the high 40's was max....

Old 03-27-2012, 09:10 AM
darkpurp1e
Senior User
ok, i just read that whole article and it was very helpful, now i have one question, vacuum advance is supposed to use manifold vacuum? i did a lot of asking around and not once did someone say manifold vacuum, i was under the impression vacuum advance was for when you want to accel fast and the centrifical advance wasnt enough. so either was a vacuum advance wasnt my problem because i experience this issue at Close to WOT or WOT, anything below half throttle is fine

Quick Reply: why doesnt my truck run right?