1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

One thing leading to another... Pertonix

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2003, 10:51 AM
himmelberg
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The '54 has a '60 vintage 292, as verified by its cast block number. 'fenders recent spring question had me crawling under the rear of the truck for pics, swearing at my noticeably fatter head. Springtime in the desert brings out that primal urge to sustain or even improve the old truck... so I now revisit my Pertronix problem. The 1281 model prescribed for the '60 model 292 does NOT fit... leaving one to think that the distributor is not what came with the block. The kind lady at Pertronix wanted to know the serial number on the distributor to rectify my problem... Which, in turn, led to another problem... finding the number, which, I assumed, was on a part of the casting that was not visible from under the hood. Which led me under the truck with flashlight and mirrors looking for this ID. With dearched springs, fat head does not fit under truck... can we see where this is leading? Is the 54-57 distributor markedly different from the later 58-64? (I know that it is) Can someone tell me the numbers for a Wells point set that fits the earlier distributor? Can someone tell me where the distributor serial number is on the casting? (Carl?) Can someone tell me whether or not I can rearch my springs? Can someone tell me why my head is so fat? Lost. Himmelberg

Old 04-29-2003, 11:19 AM
Kai
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up One thing leading to another... Pertonix

Sorry Himmelberg, ... can't help with your head. However, as for the distributor I wonder if this page would help a bit.

http://www.ford-y-block.com/distributors.htm

... uuups, appears that FTE is wrecking this link so I retype it manually:

http://www.ford-y-block.com

From there go to Distributors.

... can't believe it. Still does not work. HOwever, guess you'll get there, right ???

Last edited by Kai; 04-29-2003 at 11:21 AM.
Old 04-29-2003, 03:12 PM
Earl
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by himmelberg

1. Is the 54-57 distributor markedly different from the later 58-64? (I know that it is)

2. Can someone tell me the numbers for a Wells point set that fits the earlier distributor?

3. Can someone tell me where the distributor serial number is on the casting?

4. Can someone tell me whether or not I can rearch my springs?

5. Can someone tell me why my head is so fat?

1. You already know they are.

2. FORD and MERCURY 1954-1956 8 cyl car, FORD 1954-1957 8 cyl truck, FORD 1956 Thunderbird listed as using distributor tune-up kit part # TK151MV

3. Don't know.

4. Yes, provided they are not cracked, broken, or really worn.

5. The dry desert air causes a reverse osmosis flow that causes your head to swell. Only cure is getting to someplace like ... oh, say Tennessee.

Old 04-29-2003, 06:08 PM
286merc
Posting Guru

Peter, Y Block dizzies 101;

54 Ford/Merc, 55 239 & 256 truck are unique.

All 55-6 Merc, 55-56 Ford and truck, plus 57 car and truck with the 272 are all the same. These use the Holley Lodomatic dizzy with vacuum advance only. They must be run with either the 94 2 bbl with the rear vacuum port or the teapot 4bbl.

57-64 292 & 312 all interchangable; these use mechanical and vacuum advance. 57 and some 58 had a ball bearing advance plate which makes them more sought after. If you see a spring plate below the breaker plate it is the new style.
Swapping a late dizzie in an early 272-292-312 requires the matching intake/carb or an aftermarket that provides manifold vacuum.

ID tag is riveted on the rear of the body, exactly where a fat head wont fit between block and firewall.
Y Block dizzzies are notorious for becoming frozen in the block, requiring modifying the block with a torch or Sawzall to get out.

Another feature is that the later diz uses the modern style cap and point set from the early SBF.

Old 04-29-2003, 07:36 PM
himmelberg
Posting Guru

Now we are doing something! Kai, thanks... Mummert is a good source (and I couldn't get that site up for some reason). My rationale for maintaining a presence on the internet is how much I would save on calls. Wife frowns on calls. George, with the part number I can affirm the type of distributor. (The F1094MV is what the later 292 called for according to my AutoZone professional, yet did not match what exists in the distributor... first clue I didn't have the 1960 model dizzy.) I have tendered my permission slip to go on the field trip to Tennessee, but have been denied both times. Drat.

Carl, thanks for the primer. I wanted to include the photo to see if your keen eye might spot any obvious problems. My wife wanted me to include a pic of my new hair cut. You can see why I change oil every 2000/2500 miles... its a bit dusty here. Seems that my vacuum advance is NOT hooked up to anything. The shiney thing to the right is the fuel block for the 3 deuces. ( You knew that) I'm hoping that the Pertronix makes my life easier sparkwise... for I suspect that the 94s are going to be more than just a walk in the park.

Thanks guys. Support like this is priceless. Regretfully, not going to PF. Himmelberg

Old 04-29-2003, 07:57 PM
Lobo 2
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Himmelberg,
I still don’t have a camera, and right now I don’t have a scanner either, then, I can’t take pictures of the ones I have...
So, I looked around for some pictures of both distributors, and I found a couple for sale on ebay. Check the pictures, and maybe they will help you identify what you have.

Newer one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33690

Older one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=34205

I hope this helps...

Regards,
Lobo

Old 04-29-2003, 08:32 PM
Earl
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice service, Lobo! You keep that up and people will start to expect it!

Old 04-29-2003, 09:18 PM
Lobo 2
Senior User

"Nice service, Lobo! You keep that up and people will start to expect it!"

It’s ok with me for them to expect that kind of service, as long they provide the same to me whenever I need it! Just kidding…
I try to help people out as much as I possibly can. I know how it is when you have a problem, and nobody is able to help you, or they just don’t want to. It’s payback time. You guys helped me out several times, without even knowing about it. Just about every single question I had, had already been answered somewhere here. That’s why it took me so long to actually ask something. I just never needed to…
But you can be sure I’ll have some more questions to post here soon.

I’m sorry for being a little "off topic" here. Sorry Himmelberg. I’m still learning how to get around here.

Regards,
Lobo

Old 04-29-2003, 10:31 PM
himmelberg
Posting Guru

Wow. What a great place! Just toss out a semi-obscure tech question around here and you get immediate references, part numbers, detailed descriptions and pictures! Thanks, Lobo. Don't think twice about saying anything you want on a thread initiated by me. That goes for the rest of you guys and gals. Just did see your PM, Lobo... seems like springs are the only thing on my present wish list... too big for carry on.

Thank you very much for your kind offer. Best. Himmelberg

Old 04-30-2003, 06:09 AM
Lobo 2
Senior User

Himmelberg,
I don’t have any springs. Well, I do have a set for a 51 F6. I don’t even want to remember about them! That thing fell in my foot when I was taking it out of the frame. It wasn’t fun. Lots of pain… Dumb mistake…
A few years back, my uncle replaced all the springs on a 1959 F350. He went to a guy that made the springs for him. In English, his shop’s name would be Springs Gaspar. His shop is over 80 years old. He would make those springs for you easily. His services are very good, excellent quality, and extremely cheap. The only problem would be getting them shipped…
But, I can ask him questions, if you want me to. He’s a good friend of my uncle. He won’t mind giving us tips…

Regards,
Lobo

Old 05-01-2003, 09:26 AM
286merc
Posting Guru

Peter, I cant tell much from the pic. What carb is that? Certainly doesnt look like a 94 or the later Starship Enterprise 2bbl.

Front fuel inlet makes me think Rochester or Carter. Is that a 4 bolt carb with an adaptor to the 3 bolt manifold?
The later Ford-Holley-Autolite 2bbl uses a wide 4 bolt pattern, same as the Holley 4 bbl.

Did you pull the dizzie cap yet and check what I mentioned earlier? Real easy to see the differences.

Old 05-01-2003, 07:08 PM
himmelberg
Posting Guru

Carl, I have taken a peek under the distributor cap... got the old one. Will confess that I haven't a clue as to what carb this is so I thought I would take a snap or two. Seems that the manufacturer wasn't real proud of it either... no name. This is probably the first reason I thought 3 deuces were the way to go. That's one ugly piece of carburetor. The chunk of brazed on tailpipe accommodates the air cleaner, I think. I don't understand the plumbing, but the truck has taken me every where I wanted to go for the last year and 10 months. Pertronix doesnt make anything for the early dizz... I just need a later one. Bid on a '57 just yesterday... 40+ bucks seems high? Or am I still flashing back to the early sixties?

Best. Himmelberg

Old 05-01-2003, 08:54 PM
57_ford
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just went to their web site they do have a part # for a y block 54 to 56 For the ignitor #1282 and for the ignitor 2 is #91282.

Old 05-01-2003, 09:30 PM
286merc
Posting Guru

That sure is one ugly carb. Know Ive seen it before but nothing clicking right now.

Ive seen the later dizzy go $50 many times which is about what I pay for a complete engine

Whoever put in the 292 went to a lot of trouble to change things back to the old style. You know the history of that beast?

Old 05-01-2003, 11:44 PM
BlueOvalRage
Cargo Master

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

The pic is a little dark, but I'd swear that that think has a four bolt rectangular mounting flange similar to the flathead Mercs. Any chance that might be what this carb came from, Carl? I've seen some Merc intakes, but never one with a carb still on it. The odd thing is that the old Merc flattie that I've got in cold storage has a three bolt flange like the Fords. Maybe somebody swapped intakes.

Quick Reply: One thing leading to another... Pertonix