1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing foam tape from bed fenders...any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 10:32 AM
busflyer
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Removing foam tape from bed fenders...any ideas?

I have read quite a few threads on the rust this tape has caused and seen pictures of the destruction. I have an 06 250 that is just starting to show some signs of blistering in a few small areas where this tape is clearly the culprit. At this point I could repair it but know that the furture would hold more of the same unless I find a way to remove the underlying cause. I have pulled some small pieces out just to see what it was like and it appears to be suffering degradation already but is still intact enough to hold water, salt and any any other manner of road grime. I haven't stuck my head up in there far enough to really take inventory of how I would do it but thought I would ask here and see if anybody else has tried to tackle it. I had hoped to use some type of mechanical means to go at it first like a hacksaw blade that might slide down into the crevice and "grab" as much as I could. I also remember from my model airplane days that I always had to be careful with CA glues around foam parts as they would attack and dissolve them. I don't want to use glue as it would probably cause more problems than it solves but hope to do a little research into what compnent does the "attacking" and see if I could source it somewhere and just allow it to work and then wash out as much as possible. Anyway, I'm just fishing for ideas or experience from anybody that might have thought about or tried this before. Having not been up in there to look it may not be possible due to being sealed or something but I wanted to throw it out and see what might come.

Thanks, Eric

Old 03-29-2012, 11:31 AM
SteveH-CO
Fleet Mechanic
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
I tried removing the foam stuff with a vise grip pliers, and just got a little wad of it - it seems soft and unlikely to peel right out.

I gave up and drowned the area in ATF and parked it over my dirt driveway. The foam soaked up a lot of ATF. I also drilled a hole in the inner fender so that I could easily shoot the ATF into the fender seam from a better angle. I figure the ATF will mix with the dirt and form an oily sludge, preventing rust. (Also, Colo. isn't near as bad as many states in this rust respect, so a less-than-ideal solution might be good enough)