1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Help with van seats/Ford salvage yards

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 09:32 AM
86scotty
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Help with van seats/Ford salvage yards

I'm at my wit's end. I've got a very common vehicle, a 2002 Ford passenger van with gray cloth seats. I simply cannot find two matching cloth front seats anywhere. I live in Knoxville Tn and there are probably 10 good sized salvage yards in my area. Nothing. Ever. Been looking for quite awhile. Craigslist? Nope. Ebay even? Nope. I can't figure out why they are so hard to find. I'm trying to keep up the search and not put non-matching seats in my van but I'm getting close to giving in.
Here's the question. Are there any big Ford only, or truck/van only salvage yards you guys know of? I'm willing to pay a few hundred bucks to get matching seats, but I simply can't find any.
Oh, BTW, what am I doing? My van is an extended passenger van. 2 front buckets and 4 benches. Benches are out and I'm trying to find 2 matching front buckets to do a 4 bucket arrangement and have a walk through aisle to the back. Simple right? try again!!!!!!

Old 03-29-2012, 10:13 AM
Club Wagon
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Have your local salvage yards done searches for the seats you want? Some of these guys are very good at finding parts.

Old 03-29-2012, 11:02 AM
econolinemanor
Senior User
I seen a site; discountvantruck.com they have new seat pulls and custom seats, RV stuff might be worth your time........

Old 03-29-2012, 04:10 PM
95e150CW
Elder User
Look for a 'club wagon' model. They will usually have 4 matching captains chairs of the ford factory type.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:20 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
Whenever I've struck out locally I'll contact an LKQ affiliate----they're one of the largest salvage yard operations with locations in many many places. They're all computer connected, can interrogate one another's inventory with very accurate descriptions and most importantly actual availability at the moment. All things considered they're quite fair priced too.

Typically they're transfer most items from one location to your local yard without additional charge although that might take a bit of time. They're worth a look-see.

If you could find the same style seats but not matching would you be against nice looking well made seat covers? That might be the quickest and least aggravating way.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:39 AM
86scotty
Senior User
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'm still considering my options. I found 4 yesterday about a two hour drive from me, but they are strung together in a shuttle style setup and not on the original bases. The bases are pretty easy to find but this becomes a time/money vs. trouble thing. It's VERY hard even if you have a picture to see what a distant salvage yard really has. It just takes one spill or cat pee on a seat and you will never want it in your vehicle, and it won't pass the wife test.
I've had a Chateau (club wagon) package before with the 4 captains chairs but they are impossible to find. I'll inquire at Discountvantruck, but they're not gonna be cheap that way.
JWA, i'll do some research on what you suggested.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:47 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
Let us know how you do Scotty----hopefully something perfect just falls into your lap so to speak!

Best of luck!

Old 03-31-2012, 12:37 PM
mac5838
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We have a local company that converts window vans to mini-buses and sell passenger seats.Its in Pittsburgh Pa. but maybe you find someone in your area! VAN SEATS- 1992- 2011 FORD VANS

Old 03-31-2012, 07:33 PM
86scotty
Senior User
Wow Mac, that's just what I'm looking for. I might see if they'd ship them.
I did find out that DiscountTruckVan does sell oem takeouts, but $150 plus shipping if they have them in stock. The hunt goes on.

Old 03-31-2012, 10:10 PM
redtanrt10
Senior User
Scotty, buckets are much harder to find, even out here in Southern CA. I just looked at craigs list and I can get you 2 dozen benches but no buckets. The ones you have in the picture are the same as my '03 chateau. Along with the chateau they are also in the XLT trim vans. I'm like you, I want a match. I found an old bench bed and had it re-done with matching cloth like mine and your seats. (from a pair of benches I bought for $50.00)

Not sure if the buckets will bolt in where the bench seats are? I have the quad cloth and the seats come out. You may need to find that style base too. If you need the bases look at craigs list for 92-96 chateuaons on craigs list. I see rough or non-running ones on CL for less than $1000 and the owner will gladly take $100-$200 for the buckets and the bench bed.

Hang in there and get the seats you want, just need to keep looking and take a look on CL at vans for sale, you may be able to buy the parts you need from a running van. Good luck! Mike

Old 04-04-2012, 05:23 PM
86scotty
Senior User
Mike, thanks. I had a 92 Chateau before this one and it had a tan interior. You can bet I would've robbed the seats out before I sold it if they were a match! The Chateaus are rare though, I have yet to see ONE in a salvage yard, or even for sale running, in my area. I recently found some Sterling seats, same crushed gray cloth pattern, in a shuttle bus in a salvage yard, but 3 hrs drive from me. Still haven't decided if it's worth the drive. Thanks for the info though, still looking.

Old 04-04-2012, 11:09 PM
LN323
Junior User
For what it's worth.... I used to use a website a couple of years ago called www.uneedapart.com

I think it's a website that is linked to a whole mess of junkyards across the conutry. You just describe the part you are looking for (by clicking through the categories) and the message goes out to all of the participating junkyards and they email you to let you know if they have the part(s) and how much they're asking for it/them. Some offer good prices. Some want to rob you. No obligations. It's nice to know that they are checking in with you and it's a fast way to see what parts are available. Hopefully, a junkyard near you will chime in and you might be able to actually go pick it/them up instead of having to pay for shipping. Although, considering the price of fuel nowadays.... you might save money if you did have them shipped.

I'm keeping an open mind by also looking at bucket seats out of other cars in the yard. I've seen a couple that I thought would be cool in my van. I'd have to do some mild fabrication, but nothing too serious.

Good luck.

Old 04-04-2012, 11:16 PM
LN323
Junior User
Oh yeah.... I forgot to mention that I often use Pick-n-Pull » Home a lot. There are three yards owned by this company near me that a lot of the guys I know around here use. They're great. It's $1 to get in the gate. Bring your tools because it's 100% self-service. Prices have gone up since this company bought out the original guys... Pick-n-Pull. Anyway, you can check to see if they own a yard near you and even check for inventory online at their website. They don't inventory parts, just vehicles, but at least you'll know what they have. Since it's first-come-first-serve, the sooner you get there when vehicles are placed out in the yard, the more likely you are to find good parts before some other scavenger like me! LOL.