Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-28-2012, 06:38 PM
New User

den052 is starting off with a positive reputation.
6.0L Diesel #5 hydrolock

My 2004 F350 6.0l diesel hydrolocked when cranking on #5 cylinder. Removed glow plug and shot fuel oil out of cylinder so now the engine spins over fine. Question is; does the injector need replacing or maybe just an O ring / copper washer seal problem.
Injector costs between $250-300, O rings and washers are a lot cheaper. I have replaced injectors on other 6.0L engines so I know how to. Can O rings possibly cause this?
Old 03-28-2012, 06:54 PM

Tom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputation
TomB985
Quote:
Originally Posted by den052 View Post
My 2004 F350 6.0l diesel hydrolocked when cranking on #5 cylinder. Removed glow plug and shot fuel oil out of cylinder so now the engine spins over fine. Question is; does the injector need replacing or maybe just an O ring / copper washer seal problem.
Injector costs between $250-300, O rings and washers are a lot cheaper. I have replaced injectors on other 6.0L engines so I know how to. Can O rings possibly cause this?
Hi den052, I'm going to move this to the 6.0L Powerstroke forum, the folks in there may be better able to answer your question.

Currently truckless.
Most recently: 2013 F150 XLT 4x4 EcoBoost
Moderators, Guidelines, and How They are Enforced
Old 03-28-2012, 07:13 PM
Post Fiend

BLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant future
You need to pull the injector and see if theeres a craked tip or bad oring

If nothing stands out replace injector

Bad enough that it hydrolocked once I wouldnt want it to happen again

Odds are you wont get off that easy doing an Oring
2003 6.0, 4X4 srw, short box, born on 3/28/03 Moog ball joints,DC POWER 190A ALT Duralast Goldtop batterys 10/7/2012,RECON LED SMOKE MIRROR LENS,4 inch turbo back magnaflo exhaust,no kitty, 6 in. lift, BFG 315/75r16, python remote start alarm,pioneer system2 12''subs 1600watt amps ,scangaugeII,coolant filter, blue fuel pres spring, Fresh oil cooler 6/1/11 Final Charge Cat EC-1 rated Silicate Free ELC coolant, Sinister Full egr deleate, ROTELLA T-6 5w-40syn,updatedHPO screen,updated oil filter stand pipe, TC SX8000
Old 03-28-2012, 10:50 PM
Freshman User

jedlane8870 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Was the copper washer still on the injector ? I have had this issue but it did not start until i replaced the heads, same problem, same cylinder,three different rebuilt injectors last two times new orings and new copper washers were put on just to be safe.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:00 PM
Elder User

Roasted7 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I'd replace everything no matter the cost.

Hope you didn't bend a rod.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:55 AM
Elder User

ROBBINthaHOOD has a great reputation on FTE.ROBBINthaHOOD has a great reputation on FTE.ROBBINthaHOOD has a great reputation on FTE.ROBBINthaHOOD has a great reputation on FTE.ROBBINthaHOOD has a great reputation on FTE.
MARK HODGES r0bbinthah00d
I had a hydrolock issue with my 05 and traced it down to the passenger side via the balloon test. Come to find out #3 injector was missing the brass washer and #1 injector had shot o-rings. Went ahead and replaced all orings and washers on passenger side and its been running like a champ ever since, well like a champ where fuel is concerned. Had the dreaded stc fitting blow out but that wasnt related. I have put probably 6000 miles on the truck since I re-oringed the injectors but everyone doesnt get that lucky. My injectors themselves looked fine other than the orings so I took a chance at just oringing it and knock on wood it fixed my issue. Good luck with yours.

2005 Ford F250 CC FX4 6.0 - 2.5" Leveling kit, Kelly Safari TSR's, Ranchhand Front End, High Idle Mod, Coolant Filter, Updated STC Fitting, Scangauge II, Blue Spring, Fuel pressure EGT Boost Pillar Combo, Stealth EGR Delete
2001 Excursion Limited 2wd V10 2006 Front End Conversion, Scanguage II with custom dash mount
Old 03-29-2012, 02:35 PM
New User

Thanks for the replies. I removed #5 injector, inspected the copper sealing washer and the o rings. Nothing abnormal here. I then tested the injector by hooking up a vacuum guage with a hose that would just slide over the injector tip snugly. If the Injector is good, it will hold vacuum. Wola, it wouldn't hold vacuum and you could see it suck fuel from the fuel ports to the tip. In other words, the injector is open to the fuel passages. So now I have to replace the injector to cure the problem.
Many thanks for the replies.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:54 PM
Post Fiend

BLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant future
Thats a GREAT IDEA putting Vacum on the tip
2003 6.0, 4X4 srw, short box, born on 3/28/03 Moog ball joints,DC POWER 190A ALT Duralast Goldtop batterys 10/7/2012,RECON LED SMOKE MIRROR LENS,4 inch turbo back magnaflo exhaust,no kitty, 6 in. lift, BFG 315/75r16, python remote start alarm,pioneer system2 12''subs 1600watt amps ,scangaugeII,coolant filter, blue fuel pres spring, Fresh oil cooler 6/1/11 Final Charge Cat EC-1 rated Silicate Free ELC coolant, Sinister Full egr deleate, ROTELLA T-6 5w-40syn,updatedHPO screen,updated oil filter stand pipe, TC SX8000
Old 03-30-2012, 12:27 PM
New User

Ya, it's way cool. Read it online somewhere and tried it. I had a clear line that fit snugly over the tip. Could see it suck fuel from the ports. Tried it on the new injector and it could hold 22 inches of vacuum. Since I was working on the right bank, I removed the ICP and filled the oil manifold with a pump oiler till oil ran out. Replaced the ICP and cranked the engine. Started right up in about 30 seconds of crank.
I am an old fart, 60 years old. Luckily I took an electronic/electrical class in High School and was involved with computers since the 1980's. This new fuel injection, trucks and cars is right down my alley. Most mechanics my age say "Give me the old carburetor system". I say "Hell no, it's a lot easier to isolate a problem with codes, tests, and etc."
I used to work on the Detroit Diesel's, 2 cycle. They went to electronics before they phased them out of over the road trucks.
Luckily the 6.0L only hydro-locked when cranking. The rod is heavy enough to not bend and the starter doesn't have enough power to bend one I think. It did it on me several times until I could figure out a leaking injector was causing it. I know the concern, but at least with this engine, it did no damage.
Thanks for all the help, Dennis
Old 03-30-2012, 12:27 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
2003, 2005, 5, 60, change, coming, diesel, engine, f250, ford, hydrolock, hydrolocked, hydrolocking, injector, powerstroke, replace