6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

dos and donts for diesel trucks

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 03:55 PM
Regulator1988
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dos and donts for diesel trucks

what are some things that you MUST not do ive only ever had a gas truck and want to make sure i dont **** this one up

Old 03-28-2012, 04:02 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Don't put gas in the diesel tank, and do drive it like you stole it

But seriously... put your email address in here and get the spreadsheets:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...wners-134.html

Then decide which route you want to go with gauges and diagnostics:
2" stand alone gauges, Scanguage, Edge Insight CTS, DashDaq, AutoEngenuity, there are a lot of great options.
But it's not a question of IF you want gauges, you just get to decide what kind you want You pretty much have to have them no matter what.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...scan-tool.html
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...injectors.html

Then focus on getting all the maintenance out of the way; fresh oil and filter (5W40 synth rated for diesel engines, and a correct oil filter/cap combo), and fresh fuel filters. Then once you get your gauges installed you can look into replacing the coolant and installing the blue spring for fuel pressure. After that it's engine health type work; based on your coolant temp versus oil temp reading you can gauge the health of the coolant side of the engine and look into flushing or replacing the oil cooler.

After all that you'll have been around here enough to know what comes next.... hopefully the enjoyment part of owning a 6.0L

Old 03-28-2012, 04:19 PM
Regulator1988
Elder User
Originally Posted by texastech_diesel
Don't put gas in the diesel tank, and do drive it like you stole it

But seriously... put your email address in here and get the spreadsheets:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...wners-134.html

Then decide which route you want to go with gauges and diagnostics:
2" stand alone gauges, Scanguage, Edge Insight CTS, DashDaq, AutoEngenuity, there are a lot of great options.
But it's not a question of IF you want gauges, you just get to decide what kind you want You pretty much have to have them no matter what.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...scan-tool.html
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...injectors.html

Then focus on getting all the maintenance out of the way; fresh oil and filter (5W40 synth rated for diesel engines, and a correct oil filter/cap combo), and fresh fuel filters. Then once you get your gauges installed you can look into replacing the coolant and installing the blue spring for fuel pressure. After that it's engine health type work; based on your coolant temp versus oil temp reading you can gauge the health of the coolant side of the engine and look into flushing or replacing the oil cooler.

After all that you'll have been around here enough to know what comes next.... hopefully the enjoyment part of owning a 6.0L

rep!
thank you so much
ive put new oil in it 2 days a go
yesterday i replaced the fuel filter
today im replacing the water filter
i was planning on having the coolant flushed asap
i have no idea what blue spring is. and if you could help me i would be very happy

i am trying to get gauges as we speak

Old 03-28-2012, 04:28 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Dude you're already on top of everything!

The blue spring is an updated part from International that corrects low fuel pressure, which can cause the injectors to run a a little dry at wild open throttle (WOT). If your fuel pressure at the secondary filter bowl on the engine ever goes below 45psi at any throttle position or load, you just install the new spring kit and it'll raise pressure back up to 62-ish psi. Fuel pressure requires the addition of a sending unit, so I'd say wait until you put in a gauge to see if you need to replace your current pressure regulator, but some people have installed them without checking a gauge first.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ue-spring.html

Old 03-28-2012, 04:35 PM
Regulator1988
Elder User
Originally Posted by texastech_diesel
Dude you're already on top of everything!

The blue spring is an updated part from International that corrects low fuel pressure, which can cause the injectors to run a a little dry at wild open throttle (WOT). If your fuel pressure at the secondary filter bowl on the engine ever goes below 45psi at any throttle position or load, you just install the new spring kit and it'll raise pressure back up to 62-ish psi. Fuel pressure requires the addition of a sending unit, so I'd say wait until you put in a gauge to see if you need to replace your current pressure regulator, but some people have installed them without checking a gauge first.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ue-spring.html
Wow again very good info
Where in Texas are you?

Old 03-28-2012, 04:49 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

The Metroplex. Born in Houston and raised in Colorado and on the Llano, but life has me in the city for the time being.

Originally Posted by Regulator1988
I just reread what you said and saw this. I'd wait until you get gauges before you change the coolant. If you find a nasty ECT/EOT difference then you're going to have to chemically flush it before you change out the oil cooler; it would suck to get it done right now before you can check the temps and then have to redo it again for the oil cooler replacement.

http://home.comcast.net/~lyon.family...ush%20v1-0.pdf
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...-pressure.html

Old 03-28-2012, 04:54 PM
Dans2Fords
Mountain Pass

Water filter?

Old 03-28-2012, 05:00 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
rep!
thank you so much
ive put new oil in it 2 days a go
yesterday i replaced the fuel filter
i have no idea what blue spring is. and if you could help me i would be very happy

i am trying to get gauges as we speak
You have two fuel filters. Don't forget the external tranny filter and use only OEM filters and the recommended fluids. Especially in the tranny. Mercon SP or LV only.

Old 03-28-2012, 06:19 PM
Regulator1988
Elder User
Originally Posted by 69cj
You have two fuel filters. Don't forget the external tranny filter and use only OEM filters and the recommended fluids. Especially in the tranny. Mercon SP or LV only.
external trans filter?

Old 03-28-2012, 07:21 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
external trans filter?
Silver cannister behind the front bumper just off center passenger side. Has a built in nut on it.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:25 PM
Super Duty Daddy
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
if you look into your right wheel well, there will be a canister just on the other side of your wheel well. more towards the front of the truck. the filter inside will look kinda like a small roll of toilet paper! rockauto.com , dieselfiltersonline.com , and tousleyford.com are all great places to order most any replacement parts or filters you will need.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:27 PM
Regulator1988
Elder User
do you loose a lot of fluid when you change the filter?

Old 03-29-2012, 12:41 PM
Cowboy65
Elder User
DO read the threads listed in the Tech Folder and DO use the forum search feature where you will find valuable information on virtually every aspect of the 6.0L.

Old 03-29-2012, 01:07 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I wouldn't go more than 5k miles between oil changes; and no more than 10k miles between fuel filters (both filters swapped at the same time). I'd give the truck a moment to warm up from a stone cold start before you started driving (a couple of seconds if it's above 70F; a few minutes if it's below 40F). After it's up to operating temp (180F plus ECT) hammer on it every couple of weeks to work the vanes of the turbo charger if your not pulling/carrying heavy loads.
Originally Posted by Dans2Fords
Water filter?
The previous owner may have installed a coolant filter. Otherwise there is no OEM filter on the truck that filters the coolant.
do you loose a lot of fluid when you change the filter?
Change the external tranny filter when you change the tranny fluid; you'll need 8 qts of Mercon SP or Mercon LV. No need to remove the pan (unless you've have a catastrophic failure), just pull the plug and drain the old fluid out. Most guys are doing their tranny fluid/filter every 15k-20k miles.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:06 PM
davidkstyler
Elder User
what are some things that you MUST not do ive only ever had a gas truck and want to make sure i dont **** this one up
If you are towing or running hard it is best to let the turbo cool down a little (5 minutes) before shutting down. Usually when I come off the interstate with a load I gently run into the service station and the engine has cooled down by the time I get to the pumps. If you put an exhaust gauge on you should be below 400 deg F.

The turbo shaft runs on plain sleeve bearings that are lubricated and cooled with engine oil. If you shut down quickly after running hard the heat can cook the bearings.

Quick Reply: dos and donts for diesel trucks