6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

2% fuel in oil sample at Blackstone

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 03:51 PM
danocross
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2% fuel in oil sample at Blackstone

I just received my used oil analysis from Blackstone. I have always had stellar UOAs, but this time they noted that at 2% fuel being present, that is borderline problematic. Any comments on this issue are greatly appreciated.

120,000 on the truck, had it since new, 5k oil changes, I did change the fuel filters about a week before the oil change, couldn't do both the same day. I do fuel filter changes every third oil change, 15k interval. No issues since either the oil or fuel filter changes in terms of performance.

I guess I am finding cause and effect but don't want to jump to any conclusions. Also, I am not any kind of mechanic, I do the basic maintenance well and have had pretty good service from this truck. The FICM did go out at 113,000 miles, a Ford dealer replaced it as I was out of town and stuck in the middle of nowhere.

Thanks again for any advice or thoughts on the 2% issue.

Old 03-28-2012, 03:59 PM
SteveBricks
FTE Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you were doing a lot of idling on that oil it's possible that could have contributed to the high percentage. I would just keep an eye on the oil level and look to see what the next analysis says. Might even send a sample in at around 2k miles to see if it's still high.

Old 03-28-2012, 04:48 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by SteveBricks
If you were doing a lot of idling on that oil it's possible that could have contributed to the high percentage. I would just keep an eye on the oil level and look to see what the next analysis says. Might even send a sample in at around 2k miles to see if it's still high.
Agree with Steve. IIRC, Fords limit is 5%. That is one reason that hours is more accurate for oil changes, however, I also go by 5,000 miles or 6 months whichever comes first.

Old 03-28-2012, 04:52 PM
raptor131
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would recommend you buy a new oil dipstick. My old one was dark brown and horrible to discern the oil level, the new one is a lot lighter grey color and will help in determining if you are in fact making oil. Just check more often than usual and make note of the level, if it starts getting higher on the stick then you may have a concern, but I think you should be fine

Old 03-28-2012, 04:56 PM
69cj
Hotshot
2% of 15 quarts would only be 9.6 ounces. Don't think you'd see that on the dip stick.

Old 03-28-2012, 05:04 PM
danocross
Senior User
Thanks for the replies. I went back and looked at old UOAs, I did have a 3% reading at 79k miles, so 40,000 miles ago, next reading was less than 1%, so I do have at least a history of a spike.

From poking around, it looks like a leaking injector O ring could cause this?

I had thought about the new dipstick, this will make me go down to the Ford place here, thanks for that heads up. I have had to re-epoxy my old one together twice at the plastic head anyway.

Old 03-28-2012, 05:12 PM
69cj
Hotshot
If you keep bouncing between 1 and 3 percent I don't think I'd be concerned. Ford wouldn't be.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:48 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts
you got it injector orings Bad

It does it at cold start till truck warms up

I had this issue in 2 weeks I could see the Oil Leval on the dipstick rise 1qt

Truck would run terrible at cold start Idel ruff Missfire wouldnt shift right then all Go away and run fine warmed up couldnt beleive some leaking orings would make it run this Bad But did. Basicaly had the symtoms of a BAD FICM except I was making oil

Be carefull since the fuel system does leak you might suffer from Low Fuel press at cold start if it gets bad over time might start EATING INjectors

You can rering all 8 for less than 1 injector plus it might run better cold mine shure did after I reringed them

Old 03-28-2012, 08:55 PM
danocross
Senior User
Benny, so mine has no symptoms at all, it has been running fine. I was surprised there was any issue at all on the oil report. But I hear ya, easier to do preventative maintenance than face something bigger.

My plan is to watch the dipstick closely and send off another sample in 2k miles. If anything starts to change in terms of driveability, I will be on that too. I am **** about MPG so I will watch that for any changes.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:13 PM
jjaz43
Junior User
Fuel dilution is another good reason for 5k oil change intervals
2 percent by itself is still ok for a 6.0
I would continue to monitor it for now, along with wear metals
For "not being any kind of mechanic" you are way ahead of the curve doing UOA's

Old 03-28-2012, 09:17 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,478 Likes on 1,718 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it at this point. Blackstones method of getting a number is an estimate from the flash point. They do not actually analyze directly for the fuel. Other labs will give you a better number for the fuel dilution parameter. See what it is next time IMO.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:33 PM
danocross
Senior User
Bismic, can you pass along another vendor for oil analysis? Might be good to see a different report, not the same oil sample now but I will give it more miles first.

BTW, my metals readings are very good.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:35 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts
From what I have read 2% fuel delution in a 6.0L is Very common

Im with you watch close for awhile Especialy begining next winter when it gets cold and the Orings wear more with more Milage

If you have to go into it for something eles rering them

Mine was making alot of oil I found high on dipstick drained to middle and 2 weeks later it was back up on silver part of dipstick so I was making oil Fast and alot of it plus all the drivability issues cold

also my Bedplate seal was seeping and rear main drip and all of it went away with new Orings Just a couple other things to watch for

Its not to common issue at all but I do figure a few folks have changed a FICM over it and have no Idea bout Orings

Old 03-28-2012, 09:36 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,478 Likes on 1,718 Posts
OIL ANALYSIS
Blackstone Labs
http://www.dysonanalysis.com/
Butler Machinery Company - Full Service Equipment Dealer
Oil Analysis, Coolant Analysis, Fuel Analysis, Metalworking Fluid Analysis, Fuel Testing, Oil Testing, Coolant Testing — POLARIS Laboratories®
Oil Analyzers, Inc. - Oil Analysis, Oil Testing Services
Aviation Laboratories Contact Us
https://www.herguth.com/testing/prodprot.htm
http://www.mrtlaboratories.com/

I have used MRT, Butler, and Polaris (as well as Blackstone). Blackstone is fine, but I will repeat - their fuel dilution number is not something to get worked up over unless it is continually high (and then I would send it to one of the others I mentioned).

Old 03-28-2012, 09:54 PM
danocross
Senior User
Thanks Mark, that is what I am thinking, just keep it in the back of my mind.

The big thing is the truck is running fine. I appreciate the insight on this, that is the way I learn more everyday on here.

Quick Reply: 2% fuel in oil sample at Blackstone